UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which semi Aks are the best for a long term investment

Well I have or have had almost every AK varient imported and the Chinese guns are no where near the top of the heap. There seems to be some mystique around the chinese guns simply because they have been banned for a number of years, limited QTY may drive the price up but high price doesnt mean they are better or nicer firearms, it just meens there is a set cap on the qty which drives up the price.

The Norincos which were actualy made in a number of plants as were the polytechs. I have AKs marked as polytechs out of 2 diff arsenals , I have norincos out of at least 3 diff arsenals.

There were some nice polytech underfolders in 223 with balck and plum furniture that came in in the late 80's that were nice and the polytech legends were all fairly nice. Like the norinco not all polytech stamped guns came out of the same factory .

There is such a huge range of qaulity, fit and finish in the chinese guns, most people call out the polytech legend (which are very nice)and assume all chinese AKs are as nice but the reality is the bulk of the Chinese AKs are fairly poorly made as are most of the items out of China . I sold in excess of 1000 chinese AKs imported by Kengs and a couple of other importers and they are not all the same. I will say the worst Chinese AK is better than the average Romanian but they are not the best made if you compare machine work, fit and finish.

The nicest AK variants would be the Valmets , Ill leave out the Galil but it and the Valmet tie for #1 .

As far commonly available AKs the milled Bulgarian guns are some of the nicest made. The early Gordon Tech G guns are very nice but somewhat hard to find. I cant speak to the latest Bulgarians but the During ban milled guns and the Gordon tech guns ar top notch.

You can hold the nicest Chinese milled polytech side by side with the milled Bulgarian and the supperior fit, finish and qaulity of the Bulgarian gun will be evident. I will admit that horrible purple/black paint the Bulgarians use really detracts from their score but quite a few of them are parkerized and the paint will wash off with brake cleaner

There are some polish underfolders floating around that are also extremley well made , although ususaly built on US made receivers.

The Yugo guns are decent qaulity but they do not and have never had chrome lined barrels. The mitchel guns are pretty nice. The Yugos also have very high quality machine work and are very solid guns .

The romanian stuff is fairly crude but functional and probably the best value in the long run if your looking for something to invest in for sale during a ban .

You have to be very careful with the Egyptian Maadis , some of the early guns that were imported are actualy made in Poland, not egypt and are very nice .Everyone defaults to these polish made egyptian maadis and assumes they are all the same , like the chinese gun the maadi is probably one best bought in person instead of gbroker.
    The truley egyptian made guns have nice bbls as they were sourced from Bulgaria and Poland but the rest of the gun looks like they were hammered out by a bare foot guy between two rocks .

On occasion you might find an east german Ak assembled from a parts set , these are very nicely made parts also .

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would also salt away some AKs that have the "cool" features that will bring more $$$$ down the road.

I also think the AMD 65 will be sought after as an unusual looking AK derivative.
    "For civilians, semi-auto is like sex with your wife. Full auto is like sex at the Playboy mansion. They serve different purposes." -RoverDave
    President & Founder : UZI Shooters of America

UZI Talk Life Member
    ...And remember:
    "Every time you buy an AK, Diane Feinstein's hemmoroid bleeds a little more." -ColonelHurtz
    "For civilians, semi-auto is like sex with your wife. Full auto is like sex at the Playboy mansion. They serve different purposes." -RoverDave
    President & Founder : UZI Shooters of America

The Yugo guns are decent qaulity but they do not and have never had chrome lined barrels. The mitchel guns are pretty nice. The Yugos also have very high quality machine work and are very solid guns.
    Please clarify for me are the Yugo guns always going to be parts kits put together on someone else's receiver, or can you buy a gun that is completely Yugo? I just ask because if I search Yugo guns all I ever find are the century ones. Also what about the Tantal?

How about those brand new Arsenal SGL31 aks in 5.45x39, russian reciever, barrel, fsb?

http://www.arsenalinc.com/news.htm

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vtx-
    SAR 1,2,or3 still inexpenive compared to a politech and is a true Ak style Gun
    +1 if your going to go with a Romanian variant, go with one of the SAR Series.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. -Sir William Pitt, The Younger 1783

Quote Originally Posted by jsitz
    Please clarify for me are the Yugo guns always going to be parts kits put together on someone else's receiver, or can you buy a gun that is completely Yugo? I just ask because if I search Yugo guns all I ever find are the century ones. Also what about the Tantal?

I know those pre-ban RPK yugo's imported by mitchell arms are nice.....The ones that are worth money are the ones that were held up by customs for over a year. They actually came with a thumbhole stock attached to meet regulations but mitchell arms also sold you the original stock for a little extra.

The Century Yugo's are nice rifles. They never suffered from the same problems that the WASR's did. The fact that they don't have chrome barrels is only a factor if you run corrosive ammo,in battle field conditions, where you can't clean it for weeks at a time. We all know that doesn't apply here(at least with those with a grasp on reality) I've shot a lot of corrosive out of mine and the bore is shiny and sharp(and I hate to clean guns).

Quote Originally Posted by Z06
    ...And remember:
    "Every time you buy an AK, Diane Feinstein's hemmoroid bleeds a little more." -ColonelHurtz
    Good!!! I just purchased a Polytech Legend Underfolder!!!
    Now it's time to get some food to feed it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I honestly think they're all collectible to a degree. Some fetch more than others of course. It all depends on what you want. I dont buy guns for investments, i buy them to shoot. Get what you like and enjoy

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum
    Well I have or have had almost every AK varient imported and the Chinese guns are no where near the top of the heap. There seems to be some mystique around the chinese guns simply because they have been banned for a number of years, limited QTY may drive the price up but high price doesnt mean they are better or nicer firearms, it just meens there is a set cap on the qty which drives up the price.

The Norincos which were actualy made in a number of plants as were the polytechs. I have AKs marked as polytechs out of 2 diff arsenals , I have norincos out of at least 3 diff arsenals.

There were some nice polytech underfolders in 223 with balck and plum furniture that came in in the late 80's that were nice and the polytech legends were all fairly nice. Like the norinco not all polytech stamped guns came out of the same factory .

There is such a huge range of qaulity, fit and finish in the chinese guns, most people call out the polytech legend (which are very nice)and assume all chinese AKs are as nice but the reality is the bulk of the Chinese AKs are fairly poorly made as are most of the items out of China . I sold in excess of 1000 chinese AKs imported by Kengs and a couple of other importers and they are not all the same. I will say the worst Chinese AK is better than the average Romanian but they are not the best made if you compare machine work, fit and finish.

The nicest AK variants would be the Valmets , Ill leave out the Galil but it and the Valmet tie for #1 .

As far commonly available AKs the milled Bulgarian guns are some of the nicest made. The early Gordon Tech G guns are very nice but somewhat hard to find. I cant speak to the latest Bulgarians but the During ban milled guns and the Gordon tech guns ar top notch.

You can hold the nicest Chinese milled polytech side by side with the milled Bulgarian and the supperior fit, finish and qaulity of the Bulgarian gun will be evident. I will admit that horrible purple/black paint the Bulgarians use really detracts from their score but quite a few of them are parkerized and the paint will wash off with brake cleaner

There are some polish underfolders floating around that are also extremley well made , although ususaly built on US made receivers.

The Yugo guns are decent qaulity but they do not and have never had chrome lined barrels. The mitchel guns are pretty nice. The Yugos also have very high quality machine work and are very solid guns .

The romanian stuff is fairly crude but functional and probably the best value in the long run if your looking for something to invest in for sale during a ban .

You have to be very careful with the Egyptian Maadis , some of the early guns that were imported are actualy made in Poland, not egypt and are very nice .Everyone defaults to these polish made egyptian maadis and assumes they are all the same , like the chinese gun the maadi is probably one best bought in person instead of gbroker.
    The truley egyptian made guns have nice bbls as they were sourced from Bulgaria and Poland but the rest of the gun looks like they were hammered out by a bare foot guy between two rocks .

On occasion you might find an east german Ak assembled from a parts set , these are very nicely made parts also .
    BIG +1 HERE!!the VALMETS are the best.hands down.like you said then the bulgys.i also agree,the china guns were never that great.i mean they are ok,but not even close to the valmets.i remember seeing a poly legend wear out fast.less than1 day of shooting.come to find out,it was never heat treated!!lol!the guy i was shooting with took it back and got his $$$$ back.this was late 80s.

If we are just talking CURRENT production and wide-availability (read: affordability), then take advantage of KVARs current sale on converted SAIGAs, and if missed, look for the best Century Yugo you can find.

Preferably you will grab a Yugo from a source where you can return it if you find something wrong - and don't want to wait a few weeks for Cent to stand by their warranty and fix it.

You can spend more on a prettier boutique-built AK, but pound/pound, the Cent Yugos are a Consumer's Report Best Buy.

My Yugo U/Folders are solid, and tighter than Pelosi's pootsie. And... the U/Folder is the epitome of AK evil-ness.

Everytime you fold/unfold the stock of a Yugo, Diane Feinswine's yeast infection flares up.

Now... As PBB said; the pre-ban Valmets and Valmet-derived IMI Galils were the top 2 at the top of the mountain in AK-dom, along with the Mitchell Arms imported Yugos sitting at Number 3.

The Kassner Hunky FEGs were up there in the Top 5 (despite their IKEA woodwork), plus the Keng's Poly-Tech milled Legends, the Poly stamped guns, and the Steyr-imported Egyptian MAADIs - but only 'cause MAADIs - like the Romy SAR AKMs - most closely resemble the brutally-rough-edged-finished Soviet AKM.

As PBB said - the "other" CHICOM guns were certainly less than desirable as opposed to the above mentioned guns.
    I know, because I was dealer in the pre-ban glory days and had to sell Type 56s and 84s against the above competition.

We practically had to give Norincos and B-Wests and no-names away, and take returns on shitty .223 Norinco AKs and floppy Norinco underfolders.

Revisionist historians would have everyone believe that CHICOM's were the epitome. They weren't.

Folks would sneer at the $230.00-250.00 price we had to charge just to get them off the books.

Of the CHICOM guns, the milled Poly was the nicest, and the stamped Poly's were better finished than any of the Norinco-derivaitives.
    But IMHO, the milled Poly is the only pre-ban CHICOM close to being worth the stoopid money folks try to get for pre-ban Chinese AKs.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Arsenal, Mitchell, Polytech, Krebs... and your going to pay $$$ to own them too. But with the current sale going on over at the Arsenal camp for $499 on a SGL21's and others...I mean wow! get those while they are at a low price.

Quote Originally Posted by rumble_rider

<snip>

But with the current sale going on over at the Arsenal camp for $499 on a SGL21's and others...I mean wow! get those while they are at a low price.
    Word on the boards is that these prices are lower than many stocking Arsenal dealers have tied up in their own in-house inventory. Creating some bad blood perhaps.

IMHO...Nothing wrong with the chinese AKs. I prefer the Polytech since I like the folding spike bayo. feature and the fact that they are a little muzzle heavy works better for me. Though the machine work won't really be a contender in any beauty contests, all mine work just fine and are accurate enough within the design parameters. Other features such as the thicker reciever and barrel are a plus as is the smooth trigger.

Compared to the romanian stuff that has been imported in the last decade the chinese built AKs are miles ahead in the QC dept.

To answer the posters original question, I would say buy PolyTech Legend series AK's or Noinco AK's w/the folding spike bayonet (especially the double-underfolders). While there are better quality AK style weapons, these always seem to be in demand and are no longer importable into the US.
    The last Legend full-stock I had, I paid $1k for it, and sold it a year later in the last frenzy for $2500 (w/a starting bid of $1100). Even MAK-90's were going for double or triple what they originally cost. That goes for the mags too. I see folks asking $75-$100+ea. for original PolyTech 30rd chrome follower mags....ridiculus!
    They way things are going, it won't be long before the current administration gets around to "dealing with" the "assult weapon" issue and decides it's in our "best interest" to ban them the way slick willy did (or worse). At that time, pretty much any AK style weapon with the "evil" features such as bayonet lug, flash hider, ect... will increase in value. Something about histoy repeating itself comes to mind.
    By the way, pardon my use of sarcasm with respect (or more like disrespect) to our current administration....they seem to go hand in hand.

Any pre-bans.

Quote Originally Posted by jsitz
    You know its funny you put it like that, I'm sure many years ago the same would have been said about the Mac family. Not that I know enough about AKs to make that comparison, but from what I've heard you could pick full auto macs up back in the day for a couple hundred.
    My NIB PS MAC-10/45 was $100.00 in 1977. I passed on a commercial Reising with the 4 20rd mags and hard case for $150.00. Dumbaszz... but whoever heard of a Reising, with 20rd mags!, when you could see the MAC in the movies on a regular basis? Dumbaszz.

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    The best one is going to be the one that's there when you need it.

If it's about the money, get a transferable and keep the selector all the way down.
    Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly
    The best one is going to be the one that's there when you need it.

If it's about the money, get a transferable and keep the selector all the way down.
    Selector all the way down on a AK? Semi auto? Where's the fun in that???

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

+ Reply to Thread