UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cheap hog gun - mosin nagant idea ??

cheap hog gun - mosin nagant idea ??

sitting here late night looking for a marlin 30-30 lever action , i had the bright idea that i need to run across yall to see if feasable. here in FL there are a few land places to go hog hunting. and i have been invited to one of them. well was looking thru my safe for a high power rifle to take, and non of them i really want to take into the brush to get used and abused. so pops into my mind is to take a mosin nagant, well the only one that i have in my safe is a 91/30 hex reciever. whats the feasability of picking up a M44 (the carbine length mosin) and somehow putting a scope on it and using it as a cheap high power rifle since the caliber is 7.62x54r . i would be looking at around 80-100 for the rifle and then not sure for a scope and mounting brackets. good idea or keep looking for another rifle?
    i dont mess with the ATF, they dont mess around, they are like a fat convention at a chinese buffet, either way they are there for a reason and they are gonna leave a hurt on ya once they are done

How far do you plan on shooting with it in the "brush"? I really have no idea we dont get that kind of game here.

There is no reason inside 100 yards the M44 alone would not do a good job with the sights on it.

I know 300 yards is no challenge for my 91/30 and I have done 700 with it.

If you want a scope they make the PU or PE, not sure the difference scopes for fairly cheep. I think one of them has a post type reticle in it and that should be quick for hogs.

there is someone out there that makes the scope mount, i just cant remember who, anyways I have used a Mosin with great success on hogs within about 100-150 yds, keep in mind that the commie ammo out there isnt always the same so once you find a load that works good stick with it. I dropped a huge hog a couple of years ago with a nagant at 80 yds, it dropped him to the ground quick fast and in a hurry.

another option that might be better is a ol british 303, the scope mounts are cheap and believe it or not the round is accurate "as long as you get a good barrel" and the 303 will pack more than enough punch to take out a hog, also the ammo is cheaper if you reload.

also another option is a ol 8mm mauser, they come around cheap and are also cheap to reload for, same deal on surplus ammo
    I would say that if your not going to push it out past 150 yds with any kind of surplus/commie ammo you should be more than fine

UZI Talk Supporter
    +1 on the Mauser.

My friends use 8mm K98ks and semi AK-47s to hunt hogs 'round here.

AK for walking through brush. K98k for sitting in a stand.
    Are you an asshole, or are you just acting like one? --Sheriff's Deputy at KCR

UZI Talk Supporter

M44 will work fine, even if you bubba it up with a scope mount. You want some ass in a cartridge for hogs, especially if you get a big mean one up close.

Mob, I had to go to the archives for this one. I went shooting a few years a go with a couple friends and took this photo. Look on top the bed of the Avalanche, I think this is what you are talking about. My friend said he only had about 250-300 with out the scope building this. It was a decent shooter and I would build one but Im a lefty so i hesitate on bolt actions. Hope this helps.
    [IMG][/IMG]

UZI Talk Life Member

Mob, Leapers/UTG makes the mount and ATI makes the stock in either black or camo.

If you need help locating them I carry both.

Mark

i really dont even care about the stock, just mostly making it a scoped and short weapon so it doesnt snag on branches
    i dont mess with the ATF, they dont mess around, they are like a fat convention at a chinese buffet, either way they are there for a reason and they are gonna leave a hurt on ya once they are done

UZI Talk Supporter
    The M44 also has that side folding spike, you know for really close encounters of the hog kind...
    Are you an asshole, or are you just acting like one? --Sheriff's Deputy at KCR

UZI Talk Supporter
    How about a Navy Arms Enfield chambered in 45-70. Here's one, but they can be had cheaper. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=142193613
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today can burn your ass tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Goat
    +1 on the Mauser.

My friends use 8mm K98ks and semi AK-47s to hunt hogs 'round here.

AK for walking through brush. K98k for sitting in a stand.
    Do you live in Heaven? I sure hunt where I can take my AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanklet
    Do you live in Heaven? I sure hunt where I can take my AK.
    Stick a five round mag in it with some hollow points and hunt on.

UZI Talk Life Member

I've found the M-44 to be reasonably accurate and occasionally carry it as a trunk gun.
    Proudly living in the heart of the infamous "UZI Triangle."

UZI Talk Life Member

FFL/C&R
    I've got a few of the scout mounts made by Darrell Harrison. I don't think he has a website, but his email address has been posted in many different forums: m39scout@bellsouth.net The last I heard, the M44/M38 mounts were $75. You'll also need to get a long eye relief scope of some sort - most pistol scopes will work, but there are also more dedicated scout type scopes available. Here's the one forum site that has the most info available:

http://milsurpshooter.net/topic/3379...ilibility.html

Here's a few photos of one of Darrell's mounts on one of my Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagants:

That same rifle is now wearing a larger Burris 12x scope and it's one of my primary varmint rifles. The mount is rock solid - I've put 100s of rounds through that rifle since it was rescoped and it's held it's zero perfectly. Another plus is that the mount simply replaces the rear sight leaf, so no Bubba work is needed at all.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
    "Any people whatsoever have the right to abolish the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 July 1848

+ Reply to Thread