UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a fake suppressor be converted into a real one?

Can a fake suppressor be converted into a real one?

I was wondering if it is possible to convet a fake can/suppressor into a real working suppressor. If so, is it legal?

This is the standard disclaimer: File the forms, pay the tax, and when you get your completed forms back from BATFE, then and only then should you even start to make your suppressor.

To answer your question--I've personally never seen a fake suppressor that would be a candidate for turning into a functional suppressor. The vast majority are made of heavy steel, and/or are welded up so that there's no practical way to do anything with them other than what they were designed to do...which is to look like a suppressor but not function as a suppressor.
    And if you had the skills to convert a fake into a functional can, you would be better served by legally making one from scratch that would be a better fit weight and sound reduction-wise, and leave the fakes to being fakes.

Can it be done....Yes. Is it legal....Yes w/prior ATF NFA form approval. Is it worth it...NO! It's much easier to start from scratch with an aluminum tube and build from there.
    Must be an echo in here!

I consider my fake suppressor simply a great hand grip and extra weight to stop muzzle jump and recoil.....I would not want the hassle of class 3 and the expense of overpriced simple metal parts to waste ammo and cut down the fun

Quote Originally Posted by mac_hobby
    I would not want the hassle of class 3 and the expense of overpriced simple metal parts to waste ammo and cut down the fun

What hassles are those? I own several and have had no hassles.........

Well if you think they are over priced then build you own legally. It will cost only as much as the parts and your time.

Not sure how it wastes any more ammo then a fake can.

How does it cut down the fun? Obviously you have not shot any. All of mine have increased my fun and the the fun of others shooting them.

Hassle? I almost don't like to shoot without one.

I hate earphones now. Sucks.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_hobby
    ...I would not want the hassle of class 3 and the expense of overpriced simple metal parts to waste ammo and cut down the fun
    I used to think that. I now own a suppressor that is as quiet as any other I've heard. No real hassle other than the CLEO sign-off. I have about $375 total invested (including tax stamp). IMHO, a suppressor completes the package. If you look hard enough or long enough, you'll find deals.

Or, if you really enjoy messing around in the garage, just make one.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/
    Don't be afraid of the hole.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I own 3 suppressors and there is no hassle. I don't where ear plugs any more and it's a blast to only hear the bullet hit the target. And I shoot the same amount of ammo as when I didn't own one can.
    ''If We Aren't Supposed To Eat Animals''. ''Why Are They Made Of Meat''?

"Don't Tell Me the Sky's the Limit When There Are Footpirnts on the Moon" (unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by medphys
    No real hassle other than the CLEO sign-off.
    And if you go the trust route, you don't even have that.

If I was going to make a F1 suppressor, I could take a fake suppressor and use it to make the end pieces for a real suppressor. Use a lightweight tube and baffles. This would save you a bit of work.

You could also hollow it out and build a new exit cap, and build some baffles. This would weigh a ton tho.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Why convert a fake can?

Get a real one.

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

Huh. The fake suppressor I had was a SOLID bar of aluminum stock that was turned and knurled in appropriate places and looked the part. I added a front pistol grip to the slab of AL and it all made for a 9mm Mac-10 which gave no noticeable recoil. Bastage was outright heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered
    Huh. The fake suppressor I had was a SOLID bar of aluminum stock that was turned and knurled in appropriate places and looked the part. I added a front pistol grip to the slab of AL and it all made for a 9mm Mac-10 which gave no noticeable recoil. Bastage was outright heavy!
    There are different ones. Mine is a tube inside of a tube with end caps holding it together.

If I am reading you right you added a VFG to the fake can. If you are using this on a pistol then you have created an AOW. If it it not registered then it is a NFA violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nwcid
    If I am reading you right you added a VFG to the fake can. If you are using this on a pistol then you have created an AOW. If it it not registered then it is a NFA violation.

Exactly.

+ Reply to Thread