UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bulgarian AK-74

UZI Talk Life Member

FFL/C&R

Bulgarian AK-74

Hey, folks!

This is a nice little rifle that I picked up from Centerfire Systems for $349 delivered. It's a brand new rifle, built on a Nodak Spud receiver, complete with scope mount rail on the left side and a brand new US made barrel. The bland Tapco furniture that came with the rifle was pretty boring, so I added a set of the plum colored Warsaw Pact length furniture from Arsenal, Inc.

I bought two mags, in addition to the two that came with the rifle. One was pretty nice (in the photos below) and the other three were pretty used - still quite usable, though. Three of the mags are the standard black plastic Bulgarian jobs (only the one photographed below had the cirlce-10 stamp; the other two had white stickers that read "Made in Bulgaria" ) and the other was what appears to be a plum-colored Soviet job... it has the number 26 stamped on it and has was sure looks like an Izhevsk (or Ishmash by that point, I suppose) arrow in a triangle stamp.

I also bought two crates of the Soviet surplus ammo from AIM (4320 rounds in all!), so now I just need to hit the range and see what this baby can do!

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

"Any people whatsoever have the right to abolish the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 July 1848

Awesome Rifle. Concrats!! I am going to order 1 or 2 this friday.
    Great Pics.

Let us know how it fires. Pretty cheap price!

Is this gun a cai? Any range results yet?

Thanks for the headsup! I ordered one today!

UZI Talk Life Member

FFL/C&R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasont
    Is this gun a cai? Any range results yet?
    It is indeed a Century rifle. I'm not sure who did thre build for them, though (seems like most of the builds are being contracted out now to other places), but it definitely looks good in every respect.

No range report yet... haven't had the chance to get out there, though I'm hoping to this weekend or next. I've read plenty of other folks' reports, though, and they've all been very, very positive.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
    "Any people whatsoever have the right to abolish the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 July 1848

Cool thanks for the reply I am looking foward to hearing more. Ive been eyeing one for a awhile and the price fits!

Registered User anothertoothpick's Avatar
    Wow, nice find! This is actually cheaper than it'd be to build my bulgy kit on the NDS receiver I already have!

Is the US barrel chrome-lined?

Quote Originally Posted by anothertoothpick
    Wow, nice find! This is actually cheaper than it'd be to build my bulgy kit on the NDS receiver I already have!
    I'd prefer a NDS kit build or a Saiga build to that gun. Both would have hammer forged and chrome lined barrels. A US Kalashnikov barrel is almost certainly not hammer-forged. That said, it's cheap and probably shoots fine.

UZI Talk Life Member

FFL/C&R
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj480
    I'd prefer a NDS kit build or a Saiga build to that gun. Both would have hammer forged and chrome lined barrels. A US Kalashnikov barrel is almost certainly not hammer-forged. That said, it's cheap and probably shoots fine.

It’s not a chrome-lined bore, but that’s not a big deal in my mind (I’ve got dozens of rifles that don’t have chrome lined bores, so I’m used to it). However, the US made barrel is as good as any other high-quality barrel – the general consensus is that they’re Lancaster barrels (and they’re known for their rather solid AK builds).

http://lancasterarms.com/

This CFS deal is truly one of those deals that sounds too good to be true, but I think it’s simply a matter of economics and volume selling. They’ve sold at least 800 of these rifles so far, so they’re easily making a killing on the deal.

You can get an Arsenal or Krebs build and you’ll have a great rifle… or you can get one of these rifles from CFS and save $300-$400… and still have a great rifle. Hell, you could buy the rifle and a crate of ammo (2160 rounds of ammo) for the cost of one of the “nicer” builds.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Quote Originally Posted by ptrthgr8
    It’s not a chrome-lined bore, but that’s not a big deal in my mind (I’ve got dozens of rifles that don’t have chrome lined bores, so I’m used to it). However, the US made barrel is as good as any other high-quality barrel – the general consensus is that they’re Lancaster barrels (and they’re known for their rather solid AK builds).

http://lancasterarms.com/

This CFS deal is truly one of those deals that sounds too good to be true, but I think it’s simply a matter of economics and volume selling. They’ve sold at least 800 of these rifles so far, so they’re easily making a killing on the deal.

You can get an Arsenal or Krebs build and you’ll have a great rifle… or you can get one of these rifles from CFS and save $300-$400… and still have a great rifle. Hell, you could buy the rifle and a crate of ammo (2160 rounds of ammo) for the cost of one of the “nicer” builds.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
    Can't really disagree with anything that you stated. I just like forged and chrome-lined barrels on my AKs. If you shop around a while you can get a (used) Saiga build for about $550 and it's all new parts, the barrel is chrome lined and forged. Is it worth the considerable premium? To me it is, to others it may not be. There is nothing really wrong with non-chrome lined non-forged barrels for plinking. The only reason I even brought it up is because anothertoothpick mentioned that this gun is cheaper than a demilled kit build. I'm just pointing out that some may think that it's cheaper for a good reason. YMMV

Registered User anothertoothpick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj480
    Can't really disagree with anything that you stated. I just like forged and chrome-lined barrels on my AKs. If you shop around a while you can get a (used) Saiga build for about $550 and it's all new parts, the barrel is chrome lined and forged. Is it worth the considerable premium? To me it is, to others it may not be. There is nothing really wrong with non-chrome lined non-forged barrels for plinking. The only reason I even brought it up is because anothertoothpick mentioned that this gun is cheaper than a demilled kit build. I'm just pointing out that some may think that it's cheaper for a good reason. YMMV
    Thanks for the input... I think I'll save my money and use it to build what I've already got... I just got myself an AES-10b (Romy RPK) and shelled out a substantial amount for a Kobra sight on gunbroker... Between the Golani, the M76, and the RPK, I don't see an urgent need for an eventual -pair- of AK-74's... Then again... So cheap... Here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertoothpick
    Thanks for the input... I think I'll save my money and use it to build what I've already got... I just got myself an AES-10b (Romy RPK) and shelled out a substantial amount for a Kobra sight on gunbroker... Between the Golani, the M76, and the RPK, I don't see an urgent need for an eventual -pair- of AK-74's... Then again... So cheap... Here we go again.
    I'm not saying that I wouldn't get one, I'm just saying that your kit build would be slightly superior and that justifies the added expense IMHO. Hell, I thought about getting one of these for a throw around gun when I first found out about them. As it stands, I have about 12k rounds of 5.45 and not one gun to shoot them in. I have builds waiting too, a Bulgy krink, M92 and Romy G. I'm tired of seeing those kits sit there, so I'm not getting another AK until all my builds are done. Get one and report back, it's not a bad price for a shootable AK.

UZI Talk Life Member

FFL/C&R
    Finally was able to take it out for a spin this past Saturday - I went through 450 rounds and not a single hiccup - no jams, FTF, FTE, etc. It functioned flawlessly. It seems to be as accurate as one would expect. It was fairly windy here in North Dakota on Saturday (25 mph with 40 mph gusts), so we didn't bother shooting at paper, but I was easily able to hit pop-cans and other small tagets out to 50 yards and was able to hit waterjugs at 100 yards pretty consistently. Ridiculously light recoil, nice Tapco G2 trigger, lightweight, easy to keep on target... definitely a good shooter, particularly in rapid fire.

The only complaint I have is that shape of the Arsenal Inc. stockset I installed doesn't want to play nicely with my hearing protection - it seems that the buttstock would try to move away from my shoulder when I sighted the rifle because the shape of the muff would make the stock try to roll away. Perhaps it's more a problem with my muffs than anything else.... though they work just fine with my other rifles. Luckily, the rifle's light enough that it was pretty easy to keep it shouldered once I figured out it was the muffs pushing against the stock that was causing the problem.

But overall I'm exceptionally pleased with this rifle. Great price, great shooter... it's a handy little lightweight rifle that can pack a punch. What's not to like?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Love the stock color. Nice looking weapon.

Im not really knowledgeable with the AK realm. I own two WASR AK47s. Cheap, but reliable for what i do with them.

Question for you or anyone else that can answer.
    I would love to build an AK74 Krink SBR. Can one be made from one of these rifles?
    Do i just need to get the parts or am i better trying to find a parts kit minus the reciever?
    Along with a Form 1 of course.

Thanks,
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667
    I would love to build an AK74 Krink SBR. Can one be made from one of these rifles?
    Do i just need to get the parts or am i better trying to find a parts kit minus the reciever?
    Short answer: No.
    Longer answer: Yes but it would not makes sense to do so. Too many parts are specific to the AKS-74U. You would also need to remove most of the rivets on the receiver and mill cutouts for he folding stock.

Best bet is buying a parts kit and a receiver.

Yeah after i posted i took my head out of my ass and went to Google and started looking around.

Thanks for the info

Nate

Thats nice.

If I didnt have a krink I woulda snagged one of those.

$350??? You can't even get a Bulgarian AK-74 parts kit for that price now.

UZI Talk Life Member

FFL/C&R
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_the_hammer View Post
    $350??? You can't even get a Bulgarian AK-74 parts kit for that price now.
    Well, crikey man! Of course not. That rifle of mine was posted almost 7 years ago to the day! LOL

+ Reply to Thread