UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .22 conversion

UZI Talk Supporter

.22 conversion

MPA recently came out with a .22 MAC. does anybody have one? im curious to know if the 22 bolt will fit in a regular m11 upper. Im thinking it would be possible to make my own conversion kit for my FA. Also if anybody could check to see if the mags would fit the m11 magwell, probably not but what if... I got too much time on my hands.

MPA 22

The New MPA .22lr is the same size as their Mini 930 9mm. The bolt is different and the mag well is very similar to that of an M-11 9mm except the front of the mag well is 1mm+ wider on the MPA .22lr to fit the wider poly mags. Since its a semi auto it has the same firing pin system as a standard closed bolt semi auto so it won't work in an M-11 smg in its' current form. The front of the bolt is different as you can see in the photos. The photo shows bolts for the M-11 SMG, the MPA semi auto Mini 9mm and the MPA .22 lr for reference. I also attached a photo of the two lowers side by side of both mpa guns. You may notice the feed ramp differences and the sten mag well versus their new mag well.
    Attached Images      

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks ALOT! I think this would be possible. even more so now that you say the mag wells are so close. it would be easy to shave a poly mpa 22 mag to fit.

As for the bolts they look like they are the same outer dimensions except length. that means i could put a mac jack or some kind of spacer behind the buffer plate to take up the extra room in the longer upper. Either that or just replace both rods with the longer ones.

As for the firing pin, it wouldnt be hard to figure out something for that to make it fixed even if it was just pined or tacked in place...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks ALOT! I think this would be possible. even more so now that you say the mag wells are so close. it would be easy to shave a poly mpa 22 mag to fit.

As for the bolts they look like they are the same outer dimensions except length. that means i could put a mac jack or some kind of spacer behind the buffer plate to take up the extra room in the longer upper. Either that or just replace both rods with the longer ones.

As for the firing pin, it wouldnt be hard to figure out something for that to make it fixed even if it was just pined or tacked in place...

I dont know about the feed ramp. might be a deal breaker because im not gonna cut up my RR to make a 22 mabey an adapter or something. abs plastic is pretty pliable... idk.

im pretty sure that the threads going into the upper reciever are the same as the full size macs.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks for posting pics. This is some very interesting info.

If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting. :)

UZI Talk Supporter
    bummer. i think the sear catch is on the wrong side of the bolt

Michael, I am geting the Max.22 kit for my M11/9. I have the sten mag conv. Do you think MPA will have extra sten mags for .22 that would work for me. Richard is still beta testing the sten mag/adaptor.

I am not sure what you are asking about. They don't use a sten mag for their .22 kit. Their .22 mag is a bit wider than an M-11 mag but shorter front to back than a Sten as you can see from the photos of the lowers. It uses a completely different mag well. So your M-11 with Sten conversion will not work with their mags. If you are asking if MPA will have mags for sale I would guess the answer is "NO" at least for now. They are trying to sell each gun with one mag and when and if they get caught up they may offer more mags for sale. I have attached a mag photo to show the difference in size, height, and mag catch slots. They roughly have the same mag catch area but the width and size of an M-11 mag. Its basically a similar mag well as a standard Cobray M-11 but with the mag catch cut higher similar to a Sten.
    Attached Images  

UZI Talk Life Member

I'll be damned if those MPA 22lr mags aren't blackdogmachine uzi 30rd 22lr mags with a mag catch dremeled on them. I'd say it'd be pretty easy to make as many of them as you'd want by just ordering the uzi mags. I'd also hazard a gues s that if the front back dimension is OK, then you could shave down the sides to fit the standard magwell. Might be worth 30 bucks to find out.
    Last edited by jt526; 06-08-2010 at 03:34 PM.

I thought they looked like BDM magazines but there is nothing other than Master Piece Arms on them and they are not not his usual two piece bolt together set up. They are two pieces but they snap together. I have attached more photos of one next to an UZI .22LR/HK 270 magazine. The UZI mag fits into the MPA .22LR mag well, a bit tight, though seems to sit at closely the right height below the bolt assembly, of course it doesn't have the rear mag catch to lock it in place.
    Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by cockednlocked45
    bummer. i think the sear catch is on the wrong side of the bolt
    There is no sear catch. The whole front end of the bolt is missing. That's going to be the biggest issue, I think. At least it is if you want to use this in an open-bolt F/A format. I suspect they did this intentionally, to make it more difficult for people to illegally convert their guns to F/A.

It could work like that if you could devise a closed-bolt setup for the gun. It's been done before (I think it was Richard Lage, as a matter of fact), but he found it didn't give any advantages in 9mm, and increased felt recoil.

I'm thinking it had some sort of trip on the front portion of the bolt, which is still missing from the .22 bolt.

Personally, I'd wait until Sam at Practical Solutions starts selling his M11 kit. That or get the Lage .22 kit.

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    Quote Originally Posted by USMG
    I thought they looked like BDM magazines but there is nothing other than Master Piece Arms on them and they are not not his usual two piece bolt together set up. They are two pieces but they snap together. I have attached more photos of one next to an UZI .22LR/HK 270 magazine. The UZI mag fits into the MPA .22LR mag well, a bit tight, though seems to sit at closely the right height below the bolt assembly, of course it doesn't have the rear mag catch to lock it in place.
    Those look like the Uzi mags I have from BDM. I'm certain there was a deal cut to keep them a proprietary mag sort of thing. I'd like to get one of the .22 Macs...I already have some unmodded mags.
    Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

+ Reply to Thread