UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galil wood buttstock (pics)

Galil wood buttstock (pics)

There's been a little discussion about an IMI Galil wood (non-folding) buttstock. I googled for images, only to come up with one or two crappy images. Finally, due to a heads up from one of UT's members, I was able to snag a good example of the elusive beast on GB.

One of the companies that makes handguards was talking about needing one or two of these to pattern off of, but so far despite invitation, neither has accepted the offer.

Anyway, here it is:

Thanks for posting the pics. The one you have is very nice!

I'm hoping someone ends up making some repro wood stocks. I love the Galil folder and think it's probably the best AK based folder ever made. But at the same time I love wood on my guns. If the wood stock becomes available I think I will get another Golani AR just to make into an all wood stocked version.

Eyegun,
    Who hasn't accepted the invitation; people with samples or the company?

I was in discussion this morning with the owner of the company.

Just let me know if you need any help.

Adipose,

I sent a PM (and replied to the other thread) to Warhorse (Old South Gun Wood) as well as Ironwood.

Silencio.

I guess you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink.....

Hello,

In my discussion with SCI (Silver Crecent ind.) the issue is sourcing the very complex attachment knuckle, making the wood is easy but no one will buy the wood if it cannot be attached to the reciever. The knuckle is a complex affair of castings and stampings assembled together.

Nitro

Eyegun,
    Since I'm not too familiar with the fixed stock; can the knuckle be taken off the wood easy?

If so; could you take yours off, drawn up a sketch and take some pics.

I know a few people (machine shops) that I do business with in the Portland area that probably could make it easy.

Of course, having the real sample would be great (knuckle).

Then Old South could make the wood part.

Just a thought, but I would be willing to help out.

Yep the metal can be taken off the wood. I'll get my machine guy in PDX to look at it. I think it's a lot easier and less complex than people think it is. PM me with who your people are and we'll get something together. I bet we could get a run of 100 of these going.

Finally heard back from Matt at Ironwood.
    Seems like they get a shitload of emails every day so it took awhile for him to get back to me.

His response (in part)
    "..Yes, we will be offering that parts soon. I appreciate the offer for a sample, but I already have a perfect mint part in house. Only issue is that we probably will not offer the from ferrule( end cap), as it would probably be far too expensive to make them in small numbers.
    I am guessing that there won't be a huge amount of demand..."

I'm not sure what good the wood will do us without the mount so we'll have to go it alone on the mount if we want this to be doable. The mount itself looks cast and the sling loop looks tig'd onto the side.

I think he's right about the lack of huge demand, but I would guess a run of 100 would do it. Once that run was completed (and sold) I'm sure all sorts of goofballs would come out of the woodwork wanting one. The galil folder IMO is probably the best folder on the market but I like wood!! Even my Uzi has wood!

Pics of the mount (solo) later tonight or tomorrow.

Eyegun,
    Sorry I didn't get back with you yesterday (Damm work keeps getting in the way).

Update:

I did talk to Nathan at Old South Gun Wood".

Someone sent him a real nice sample a few weeks ago. he has been working on this; but is very busy as a growing company with lots of demands.

He has his machine shop looking at making the mount; then giving him a price to see if it is cost effective.

He feels confident that the buttpad can be made easily.

He is already modeling the wood piece and says he can make it no problem.

He have a price soon to se if it is worth it or another option I threw at him; if he were to make the stock and stock only.

I sending you a PM also.

Chuck

I remember when these wood stocks were $19.99 at What a Country. Before any Galil kits or receivers had really hit the shore....

Found some for sale on Sturm.

Hesitate = Lose

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=284128

UZI Talk Life Member
    I picked one up for $99 on gunbroker, IMI. I'd still pay the $150. Love the wood look and with the FAB rail the wood handguard is gone. Might be an interesting combo with the wood stock!
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by eyegun
    Found some for sale on Sturm.

Hesitate = Lose

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=284128
    I can get those same ones (new in cosmoline) for 100.00.

I'm sending in the money tomorrow morning.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Any way to easily add length to the wooden stock? A recoil pad comes to mind but wonder if anyone knows where I could get one with mininal fitting.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

wood buttstock follow up

hi guys,

Saw this post about the buttstock and thought I should comment on where we are with this. We were sent some really nice examples - to model a product from.

The buttstock itself is No Problem. The buttpad is no problem. We can make both easily.

The steel weldment at the front, well thats another story.
    I took it to three fabrication shops to get pricing on a production of these.
    Its a complicated part. Theres a steel casting with pieces welded to it.
    At the moment noone is giving me a price that will make the part profitable to make.

If there are some machinists / fabricators who like a challenge drop us a line, and we can make it fly.

Our other galil parts have done since we rolled them out, so the buttstock would be another welcome addition to the line.

Warhorse @ oldsouthgunwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by eyegun
    Yep the metal can be taken off the wood. I'll get my machine guy in PDX to look at it. I think it's a lot easier and less complex than people think it is. PM me with who your people are and we'll get something together. I bet we could get a run of 100 of these going.
    Eyegun,
    Did you ever get anyfeedback from your machinist?

As you saw in the recent post above, (warhorse) Nathan from oldsouth wood is having a hard time finding a cost efective metal piece from his suppliers. he can make the stock itself, no problem.

I never got a chance yet, in going to my local person; but will be working with him on a Galil sniper stock project (metal pieces); so i could ask him about this.

Just didn't want to duplicate work if you already had an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy
    Any way to easily add length to the wooden stock? A recoil pad comes to mind but wonder if anyone knows where I could get one with mininal fitting.
    Riderboy,
    PM Sent.

+ Reply to Thread