UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: uzi semi-auto .22 conversion kits

uzi semi-auto .22 conversion kits

I have not seen a .22 semi-auto conversion kit for the full size uzi in a few months, have people been hoarding them?

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    There have been a few on gunbroker
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits are in stock

http://www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

UZI Talk Supporter
    I just reluctantly sold one out of necessity on gb, offered it here first.
    THATS MR NURSE TO YOU!!!

YOUR STUPIDITY IS MY JOB SECURITY!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Way freakin' too close to the city....especially now!
    I saw one on GB earlier this week that had the barrelexchage conversion done to it? May still be on there.

Hi guys, brand new on the forum and I figure I'll just add onto this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm an Uzi newb... just picked up an Uzi Pistol in 9mm this week. I like it, but immediately wondered about a .22 conversion.

I see them for full size carbines, and for FA SMGs, minis, etc.

But is there a .22 conversion for the meager UZI semi auto Pistol model? Seems like it wouldn't be any harder to accomplish than any other semi conversion, and the barrel would be cheaper on top of that.

Yet I can't find one anywhere, or even a reference to one.

Am I going to have to make one myself?

I have never seen one nor heard of one. If you do make one yourself please take plenty of pictures along the way as I am sure that many of our UziTalk family would be interested.

I believe that the regular IMI 22 conversion kit with the barrel insert and the barrelXchange cocking handle conversion should work in an Uzi pistol. Now you just need to find one or wait for BarrelXchange to release his .22 conversion kit.

it will work, but it's a mild pain in the arse. You need either a dedicated barrel (from Barrelxchange) or you can use the original barrel liner in a longer un-rifled overbarrel (still needs to be custom machined). And the firing pin/striker assembly generally catches on the factor ejector rivet which causes it to have light primer strikes. Taking a dremel to the bottom of the striker assembly or the rivet tends to make it more reliable.
    I'd say contact barrelxchange for his custom .22 barrel instead of trying to use the factory IMI barrel liner. But keep the liner since they are incredibly hard to find, and if you ever get a mini or fullsize, you can use it then.

Re: Pistol Semi-Auto Conversion.

Well, I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but alas... there' something interesting about this challenge.

I've ordered a Black Dog .22 magazine and have an intriguing idea about second-purposing the spare 5" barrel from my Walther P22 (which I never use, preferring to keep the 3.4" tube on that gun) if things line up correctly. I've also ordered a chunk of DELRIN and some steel bar stock and pin stock.

I see a few design obstacles that seem to have been addressed in different ways in other designs. I'll have to sit down and see how I want to deal with some of the questions.

Stay tuned.

Administrator
    I've run the IMI .22 kit in a pistol. There's only one issue that has to be addressed. There isn't enough room between the bolt and the barrel to insert the barrel liner. You can modify the .22 bolt to account for it, but i didn't want to muck up the bolt. Instead I had a replacement barrel made that was shorter on the chamber end, which made room for the barrel liner. I also had the new barrel made a little longer so the liner didn't stick out the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDave
    I've run the IMI .22 kit in a pistol. There's only one issue that has to be addressed. There isn't enough room between the bolt and the barrel to insert the barrel liner. You can modify the .22 bolt to account for it, but i didn't want to muck up the bolt. Instead I had a replacement barrel made that was shorter on the chamber end, which made room for the barrel liner. I also had the new barrel made a little longer so the liner didn't stick out the end.
    Yeah, that's what worked for me too, the "overbarrel" I mentioned. I had it done about a 1/16th short and used shims between the .22 barrel and overbarrel to get the tension right so the conversion kit would rise up if I got the barrel nut too tight. If I ever get around to having barrelxchange swap springs and do his cocking lever conversion, it will probably run better. It's mag sensitive.

Would a dedicated .22 barrel for the Uzi pistol solve the spacing problem with an IMI modified bolt?

UZI Talk Supporter

I occasionally use my UZI .22 kit (insert barrel, metal magazines) in my Model B. It functions very well, but isn't very accurate. For comparison, in 9mm the UZI will tear the center out of a target at 50 yards, but the same target looks like it's been hit by a shotgun after a couple of magazines from the .22 kit. It seems to leave a pattern all over a 10 inch circle, instead of the roughly 2-inch groups I am usually able to achieve while shooting 9mm. Is this typical for these kits?

wonderdog...I think Barrelxchange would have a good answer for that...I'm gonna guess "yes" but I've never used a dedicated .22 barrel from him for the IMI kit.
    NavyEngineer...I'm not sure what is going on with your kit...I've consistently hit an 8" steel plate at 100yds with open sights with the IMI .22 kit and the barrel liner in a regular 16" 9mm barrel. And have gotten the same performance from a dedicated vector .22 barrel. Is your barrel liner loose in the barrel? It should slide in snug.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by tacdrivrnc
    wonderdog...I think Barrelxchange would have a good answer for that...I'm gonna guess "yes" but I've never used a dedicated .22 barrel from him for the IMI kit.
    NavyEngineer...I'm not sure what is going on with your kit...I've consistently hit an 8" steel plate at 100yds with open sights with the IMI .22 kit and the barrel liner in a regular 16" 9mm barrel. And have gotten the same performance from a dedicated vector .22 barrel. Is your barrel liner loose in the barrel? It should slide in snug.
    I'm away from home on travel for a couple of days - I'll check tightness of the barrel in the liner when I get home. I thought it fit fairly tightly, but have gotten the same (lousy) results every time I install the kit.

I have a related question: I have an Uzi carbine conversion kit with the liner that I use in a 9mm barrel, can I eliminate the liner if I get a 22 barrel? I'm thinking of accuracy as well.

+ Reply to Thread