UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Full auto Norinco 84s-1

UZI Talk Supporter

Full auto Norinco 84s-1

Any members own or shoot a full auto Norinco 84 ( either S or S-1 ).

Gonna get another C3 weapon pretty soon and am asking lots of questions on lots of different types of guns. Budget will be around $13-15K.

I own a Norinco 84S and 84S-1 in semi auto so I know about the fit, finish, ergonomics and accuracy. I love these rifles and the idea of a full auto is very interesting to me.

My intent with this next weapon is plinking, not target shooting. I just want to hit a 8-9" gong at 25-50 yards.

Interested in...

1. Converted weapon full auto reliability?

2. Durability?

3. Parts availability and interchangeability ( eg: will a semi auto bolt and carrier drop in and work, trigger group parts, etc )?

4. Does replacing the under folding stock if it gets wobbly after shooting thousands of rounds make it right again?

Thanks Lj

UZI Talk Life Member
    I actually wonder if there are any 84S in full auto? The S stands for Sporter and to my knowledge they were only produced as semi's.
    KCR SubGun ROI | 3Gun Range Officer | DSC/IPSC MD
    Norinco M320 | LAMAR Multical AR15 | Mod 1 Firearms Glock 34 | DoubleStar 3Gun AR15 | Lage Mfg MAX-31 | Norinco CQ311
    APS 506 | NPSA 08-P69

UZI Talk Supporter

The weapons that caught my eye were on "Firearmdeals" and John Thedford's site.

Neither advert mentions 84, either S or S-1, but both are in 223. So, I just thought they were converted stamped receiver Norinco 84's...!?

I'm just thinking and researching. Not a lot on the "threads" about full auto AK47 style weapons in 223, just 7.62.

Lj

UZI Talk Life Member
    Ruben Mendiola had two Norinco AKs "incoming" not sure of the model. I e-mailed him for info and never heard a word back from him.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

UZI Talk Life Member
    past two cattle-guards, at the end of the gravel road

Recommend shooting before buying

If you haven't shot an AK in full auto, I recommend you try one. I love shooting my Romy G AK47 but it won't be my next full auto - and i thought i really wanted one. Bought a Swedish K instead.

If you have fun blasting AKs in full auto then great- no buyers remorse.

Good luck!

RFA

UZI Talk Supporter

I have a S&W 76 and a Stemple 76/45 with Burgess suppressors for each and LOVE them. So, basically I'm good to go with pistol calibers.

Thinking of adding a rifle caliber ( 223 or 30 carbine ) ACC-556 or a Converted Norinco 84. I DO NOT want a 7.62x39 or larger full auto rifle.

May end up getting another 9mm and 45ACP, but want to at least research the .223 caliber thing.

Like I mentioned the budget will be in the $13-15K range and the M16's I like are a little more than that.

Looks like Rubin's AK's are 7.62x39

I guess what I am trying to determine is whether the 223 AK's are nicer shooting ( smoother, less recoil ) than the 7.62 AK's

Lj

UZI Talk Life Member
    If you look carefully, you should be able to pick up an M16 from of $10,000 to about $ 15,000.
    KCR SubGun ROI | 3Gun Range Officer | DSC/IPSC MD
    Norinco M320 | LAMAR Multical AR15 | Mod 1 Firearms Glock 34 | DoubleStar 3Gun AR15 | Lage Mfg MAX-31 | Norinco CQ311
    APS 506 | NPSA 08-P69

The ony full-auto AK that I had the honor of shooting was an underfolder. While it was in 7.62, so it isn't exactly the same thing, I would seriously suggest that you shoot a full auto underfolder if you think that you want one. It was really uncomfortable, bordering on painful. The stock bucks a good deal, and the shoulder feel was similar to getting hit with a pipe wrench. Even the MG-42 felt better to me...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Shot full auto AK's and an RPK... LOVED them all! Finding a transferable one is going to cost you a good chuck of coin though. There are some Maadi ARM's that were converted to use in the movie "Red Dawn" that are transferable if you can find them. The RPK was the smoothest shooting of them all. I attest that to the longer barrel.
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!"

"Have Gun - Will Travel."

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulwembu
    I actually wonder if there are any 84S in full auto? The S stands for Sporter and to my knowledge they were only produced as semi's.
    They would have been produced in China as semi rifles and then converted stateside to be select fire. AFAIK, all transferable AK's in the US are converted semis. There may be a few "Nam era trophies that got in before '68, but I'm not 100% certain.
    Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

There are some original transferables out there. A milled North Korean as well as a Milled Soviet have sold pretty publicly in the past few years.

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana
    There are some original transferables out there. A milled North Korean as well as a Milled Soviet have sold pretty publicly in the past few years.
    I'd be willing to bet they brought in significantly more than a converted transferable too. Do you recall what they sold for?
    Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

The Soviet AK went for 92k, because of the history, documentation, and SAR write-up. I don't imagine there is another quite like it, and the price reflected its one off status. Third gun from the top:
    http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_...asp?pageREQ=no

The North Korean sold for 18k, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. It too was a milled amnesty registration gun.
    http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/vie...f=109&t=128855

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana
    The ony full-auto AK that I had the honor of shooting was an underfolder. While it was in 7.62, so it isn't exactly the same thing, I would seriously suggest that you shoot a full auto underfolder if you think that you want one. It was really uncomfortable, bordering on painful. The stock bucks a good deal, and the shoulder feel was similar to getting hit with a pipe wrench. Even the MG-42 felt better to me...
    I had a full stock norinco but sold it. Bought an underfolder and absolutely love it. A folder disperses the recoil over a greater area on your shoulder. Lot less painful than my full stock was. I also own a fa krink and that is just plain fun as hell. A fa ak is a lot of fun and i would be hard pressed to sell either one.

Believe it or not, registered .223 AK's in original configuration are getting harder to find. They weren't that popular originally because of the difficulty getting mags and their expense v. 7.62 mags. Most of them were used to make shorty AKSU clones. That said, they are out there, and are typically cheaper than the 7.62 guns. You just have to wait for one to come up.

As far as shooting them, I've only had Valmets in .223 and wasn't terribly impressed. On the other hand, I have an AK-74 that is the sweetest shooting AK I or anyone who shoots it has ever tried. You can see it here:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...t=40329&page=6

My suggestion would be to get a .223 AK and install the AK-74 muzzle brake on it. I believe you will be very happy with it. I've been looking for one for a little while to make into an AK-74 but can't find one with a fixed stock.

Besides that, you may want to broaden your horizons on .223 guns. Besides the M-16, there are FNC's and AR18's that are usually in the under $8k range. Both shoot really well, and use M-16 pattern (read: cheap!) magazines. Just a thought.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread