UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sterling 9mm, "WARNING"

UZI Talk Supporter

Red face sterling 9mm, "WARNING"

Toke my new WLA sterling to range today, fired 250 rounds winchester WB...no problem!
    The minute i started shooting sellier & bellet 9mm ball....50 rounds later my firing pin breaks!!!!...

Looks like s&b 9mm is know for having hard primers!!!!! Dont shoot s&b in your semi auto sterling!!!! I got lucky the shop i bought my sterling swamp me a firing pin from another gun!!! :0)
    ME!

UZI Talk Supporter

pic

Pic
    Attached Images  
    ME!

i guess it would be a good idea to keep a spare...i hope the WLA and the colefire are the same...gary

UZI Talk Life Member

Give WLA a call. I bet they will replace it.

UZI Talk Supporter

Cool update

Called century and wise lite...on firing pin issue...century reffered me to wise lite..wiselite says....there out of firing pins till next month....im gonna try to buy one or two spares, depending on price?
    ME!

UZI Talk Life Member
    I hate to have to say it, but I don't think S&B primers are your problem. That is unless they started using granite for their primers.

UZI Talk Supporter
    well, theres alot of talk online about sellier and bellot having hard primers!!! its funny that winchester wb, 250 rounds no problem, i shoot about 35-45 rounds of sb 115 grn, and pin broke!!! ill find out when i shot her again, with wb...well see!!!!!
    ME!

UZI Talk Life Member
    You're pulling my leg, right? A thin copper or brass cup broke a steel firing pin?

A thread from right here on UZI Talk in this forum.

Need a Wiselite Sterling Sporter firing pin

J&G Sales review.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_revie...ws_id/4754?SID

http://www.jgsales.com/product_revie...eviews_id/3669

They mention possible brittle firing pins in this thread.

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=48&t=320619

From TheHighRoad.org

Almost at the bottom look for a post from ziggymolly

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-404562.html

From Calguns.net

Post #56 broken firing pin

Sterling 9mm carbine!

The search feature and Google are your friends.
    Last edited by BeltFedEd; 04-04-2011 at 10:56 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Your right beltfeed!!! (Bad design) Well speaking for my self, my pin broke while firing gun. Im assuming my pin was too brittle and couldnt handle the slamming/hitting force of firing...look at pic above, just broke off, no bending at all!!!! I saw other people having same problem, but i didnt realize so many!!!
    Since im not the only one, having issues with this it must be a design flaw...wonder what type of metal there using?? Definately too weak!!!k
    ME!

UZI Talk Supporter

not sure

But looking to modify other pins out there, example..not sure on deminsions....ar15 firing pin...reducing rear end, drilling hole for sear engagement and shorting pin size..just ideas??? Look at issues w/ sterlings!!!!
    ME!

UZI Talk Life Member
    It may have been the type of metal or as some have suggested improper heat treatment.

I'm not a metallurgist but I have experienced bad heat treatment. Many years ago I was making up removable pins out of 1/2" cold rolled stock. I heated, bent and then quenched them in water. Bad move. I accidently bumped one off of the bench and it broke in two when it hit the floor. Too brittle.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeltFedEd
    You're pulling my leg, right? A thin copper or brass cup broke a steel firing pin?
    Exactly!
    When most folks use the term "hard primer" they don't mean to infer that the primer or primer material is actually hard.

I think you'll find this link interesting reading.
    http://www.rnettles.com/Primers.pdf

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG
    Exactly!

I keep forgetting that sarcasm doesn't always translate on the internet. I know there's no way in hell a soft little primer is going to break a firing pin.

Last edited by BeltFedEd; 04-05-2011 at 06:00 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    IMO, only the tip of the pin should be hardened slightly to prevent wear. The rest of the pin should be left softer to take the beating.
    "Tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people.... The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision... Assuming you can never lose your freedom, is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    --Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court in Silviera v. Lockyer

I have one of the Wise-Lite carbines, and I am on my 4th firing pin. I called them up about it when iy first broke, and they sent me new ones. After the second one broke, they made me a new bolt, l have still had issues. l'm wodering if it might be from "dry firing"???? Some guns can take that, others can't.

My 2 cents worth.....

UZI Talk Supporter
    Imo....dry firing shouldnt hurt the firing pin...everytime your mag runs dry it will fall on a empty chamber... not to mention the back stop of pin stops pin from going all the way forward...front of pin only hits primer!!!!..my pin broke/ snapped in half...very brittle...no bending at all...the need to make the firing pins out of better quality steel....my uzi has so far over 1000 rounds and alot of dry firing (for being 3 months old) and no problems with pin at all, not even the bluing on pin is wearing! Am about to sell my sterling if i cant find someone to make me a solid firing pin.......my 3 cents.....
    ME!

+ Reply to Thread