UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Rail systems for the galil

Rail systems for the galil

Hi all,
    My winter project is to trick out my galil among other things. I was wondering what the collective consensus is regarding which rail mounts / tactical forearms work best with the galil. I'm looking to mount an Eotech HWS, vertical fore grip, laser sight and a bipod.

Thanks,

UZI Talk Life Member
    My experiences have been with the FAB quad rails and polymer fore end rail. Both are rock solid, allow removal of the topcover without having to remove any optics, and are pricey, but I highly recommend them as probably the best Galil rail system out there, at least in my experience.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

+1 to what riderboy said. The FAB rail is going to be the gets quality rail out there. UTG makes one that is fairly cheap in price. I think those that use them have been pretty happy with them.

Have Seen the FAB for sale at like 10X the price of the UTG, being from South Africa, our rand dollar is at 8 makin the UTG the only real choice, got one in the post But there are some very very nice alternatives out there is you have the cash...

Not promoting or anything cause i think this is overpriced and i dont know the company, but dammit i would love this rail set!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:B:SS:GB:1123 The FAB 6 Rail front end

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruski5181 View Post
    Not promoting or anything cause i think this is overpriced and i dont know the company, but dammit i would love this rail set!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:B:SS:GB:1123 The FAB 6 Rail front end
    http://www.24hourtactical.com/Handgu...-Mounts_c4.htm

Yep, that's the FAB aluminum rail system I have. Very pricey but solid quality. FAB also makes a polymer fore end rail system which is great. The other rail system I linked I have no experience with. It's a bit cheaper than the FAB, for the price, I assume it's also pretty good.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Thanks for the input guys. It came down to a choice between the pricey FAB and the reasonably priced UTG rail system. I saw some reviews on the UTG indicating difficulty pulling the charging handle and removing the dust cover with the UTG. Nothing but praise for the FAB so I found one that just cost an arm and did not require the leg.....

UZI Talk Life Member
    Try to get some kind of horizontal charging handle, since Hadar types are unobtanium, an AK type. Even with the FAB you can rake your knuckles a bit. You'll be pleased with the FAB, it's a quality, solid mount.

I went with the UTG rail. Now I was quite aprehesive at first about buying a rail from a company that began its life making toy airsoft gun acessories. But for the price you cannot go wrong. When I got my UTG in the mail I was quite impressed with the finish and the quality. I compared the finish to my Daniel Defense Omega rail, I could not tell the difference. UTG provides you with rail covers which is funny because I paid $300 for a Daniel Defence rail and guess what? You got it no rail covers Another part included is a spacer that goes between the barrel and the gas tube. This keeps you from bending or warping your barrel or gas tube when you tighten down your rail since the UTG rail is a two piece system. This makes me believe UTG put some thought behind thier design. I will have to say that for $60.00 this is a great rail. The only complaint that I have is that the picatinny rails are not military spec I had to file open some of the notches on the rail so my Knights Armament rail covers would lock into place. Another complaint heard is that supposedly UTG did not allow enough clearance for the dust cover to come off without removing the rail and losing zero on your optics when cleaning your rifle. I did not get a chance to test that theory out. I included a picture of my Golani with Elcan optic, Tango Down fore grip and Pentagon B-X2 Xenon weapon light with a Vltor light mount. Would I recommend this rail? Absolutley yes! It is a sleeper for the money vs quality. Lou
    Attached Images  

Another thing I might mention is that when you put a rail on the Galil or Golani it makes it harder to charge the weapon. This is not exclusive to UTG quad rails. This is true with all the rails that have coverage over the dust cover area. Here is a picture of my Golani to illustrate this. In this picture I have a UTG Accushot SWAT compact scope 3-12X44 adjustable I purchased for $120, Knight's Armament rail covers and my retro fitted ACE rubber stock pad.
    Attached Images  

Here is a shot from the top view of UTG rail installed on a Golani
    Attached Images  

Here is a angle that shows how close the rail and charge handle are to each other
    Attached Images  

This picture should show how clearance of the dust cover could be a issue with the UTG rail.
    Attached Images  

Here is a picture where you can see UTG's finish and the extras as white numbering you normally do not find on rails in this price range.
    Attached Images  

Here is another shot so you can see the stock folded. This was my favorite set up after toying around. Aimpoint, Magpul foregrip and Knight's Armament rail covers. I love the FAB quad rail and I am looking to buy one when I can save up for one. I hope this information will serve you in making your choice.

Good Luck!
    Lou
    Attached Images  

Icastillo, as you know, my UTG is in the post, am very excited to start posting pics when it arrives, unfortunatley for us, a FAb is around $480 i found a guy selling a UTg for $30, so not much choice for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ruski5181 View Post
    Icastillo, as you know, my UTG is in the post, am very excited to start posting pics when it arrives, unfortunatley for us, a FAb is around $480 i found a guy selling a UTg for $30, so not much choice for me!
    I am with you Ruski. I would love a FAB but it is just a little pricey for me. For the price I can get a Meprolite 21 series reflex sight. Economics made my decision to purchase the UTG.

Top rail

Here is a couple of pictures of the upper piece of the 2 part design of the Leeper's UTG quad rail
    Attached Images    

Baby got back

Here is a view from the back of the rail, I have the weapon light on the right side.
    Attached Images  

Side view with UTG Scope and weapon light off the rifle
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread