UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Purpose of modifying pistol grip frame for semi-auto

Purpose of modifying pistol grip frame for semi-auto

During my research in building an Uzi it appears the grip frame will have to be modified to only be able to select semi-auto only. Why is this even an issue when the important parts were already made semi-auto only?

UZI Talk Life Member
    It is the same reason you can not use an M16 selector in a SA AR. It can still go full auto with all the other parts being semi auto. It is not reliable but it will work sometimes.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & BWE Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.bweparts.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

If, I (were an ATF Agent) was able to show in court that I could put a full auto select fire lower grip on you're semi-auto Uzi - thus changing it's capability or able to convert it to full auto fire quite easily / readily..... than a jury might be compelled to believe that you did have intent to modify / convert said firearm into a submachinegun / full auto fire weapon. Stay with the 9mm pin and semi lower - all an ATF agent has to show is that he was able to switch a full auto lower in place of you're semi and you got a problem. It's not only about parts but also "intent' Ie: readily convertible - conversion......................... Intentional or unintentional it's not going to be you're decision' it will be a jury's and with the idiots that show up for Jury duty the odds are really going to be against you.

Tetryl

I've never heard that you have to disable the FA selector switch. If that were the case then a clipped and pinned HK FA lower would be illegal on a SA receiver, which is not the case. And most every FAL out there has a FA selector switch that still rotates to the FA position but does nothing.

I thought the sear holes in the bottom of the SA receiver would not allow the FA sear to engage the bolt. Even if a FA lower could be attached to the SA receiver, the sear would not work.

I think it's a unique requirement to the Uzi, as it could if you're unlucky fire full auto briefly. That said, even on the FAL it's normal to have a FA selector.

When the Uzi selector is allowed to move to the full-auto position, whether it be on a SMG lower or an original semi-auto only lower, this disables the semi-auto disconnector. When this happens it allows the firing pin to follow the bolt when the bolt closes. The design on the bolt face on a semi-auto bolt is such that if the firing pin protrudes from the bolt face as the bolt closes, the rim of the cartridge will not be allowed to slide up the bolt face during feeding, which will result in a feed jam. Even though the gun won't reliably fire full auto, having a lower that allows the selector to move into the full-auto position takes you one step closer to completing an illegal full-auto conversion. Most cops or BATF agents don't understand the law or understand firearm design. If they see a selector move to the full-auto position, they'll likely just arrest you and take your gun. They'll also take your computer, all your parts and other guns and all documents they find. Then the BATF lab will see if they can get your gun to fire full-auto even if they have to make some mods that you could easily accomplish with home tools. If they are successful, then you're looking at $50K in legal bills, loss of your gun rights and possibly prison time. If they find documents in your possession that discuss how to convert a Uzi to full-auto, they'll charge you with "intent to manufacture a illegal machinegun."

Just avoid the potential hassle and fix the selector so it doesn'tt move into the full-auto position.

When the McKay boys sent in the receiver for type classification the only requirement specified was to have the blocking bar welded into the shell.

We added the other limiting features to the receiver just to be safe.

Later on I called Tech Branch regarding my 922R letter and spoke with the agent in charge of the determination.

I asked him some other questions while I had him on the phone.

In terms of modifying surplus parts: he stated very clearly that they wanted a plate welded inside the grip frame to limit the travel of the selector.

Later on I called Tech Branch regarding my 922R letter and spoke with the agent in charge of the determination.

I asked him some other questions while I had him on the phone.

In terms of modifying surplus parts: he stated very clearly that they wanted a plate welded inside the grip frame to limit the travel of the selector.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

This is very good information Mike, thanks for posting this.

+ Reply to Thread