UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: CLASS III Background check

CLASS III Background check

Now that im getting an MG, a bunch of my friends want one as well. One of them has a juvenile misdemeanor conviction from 30 years ago. She was wondering if the feds would deny her a Class III. She has never had any problems with firearm purchases in her state. Anyone on the forum have any feedback about this? Thanks

As long as there are no felonies, good to go. In theory and in practice if you can pass a background for a rifle and hangun and your state allows class III, there should be no problem. I know people with misdeamenors who have class III firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by jolague View Post
    As long as there are no felonies, good to go. In theory and in practice if you can pass a background for a rifle and hangun and your state allows class III, there should be no problem. I know people with misdeamenors who have class III firearms.
    +1 if she's passing a NICS check for guns now she's good to go....

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    I have a misdemeanor conviction from 20 years ago and I'm deemed fit for ownership. She'll be fine.

Nice seeing broads wanting to get into NFA ownership.
    Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

Get a CCW and it will pretty much say that if you can carry concealed - after all who is to say what you can and can't own - here in Fla' the right to carry is: shall issue' provided you are not barred or convicted from owning. Next step might be to consider the use of a firearms trust.

The local good ole boy screening procedure and authorized CLEO is being phased out.

Best regards,

Tetryl

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jolague View Post
    As long as there are no felonies, good to go.
    ...or domestic violence misdemeanors (Lautenberg amendment).

Ed
    When in doubt, empty the magazine.

Hi, I'm sorry for registering just to necro this old thread, but didn't want to start a new topic since it's relevant here. I finally became financially stable enough to justify a class 3 purchase, but I have a misdemeanor from over a decade ago. The problem is that it was for pot, and I know that sometimes drug offenses are handled differently. I've passed background checks for all my pistols, but need to know if it's going to be different for this check. I've never applied for a CCL, so I can't use that as a frame of reference either. Thanks in advance!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Best to call NFA Branch and get your answer there. I recently had a customer who in the past has had no trouble with passing a NICS check have difficulty buying his first suppressor because of charge on his record. He had to supply NFA Branch a copy of the dismissal orders for the charge which was originally made on him about 15 years ago.
    Trusting our government to do the right thing is like playing Russian roulette with all the chambers loaded.

Thanks for the answer. You're right; it probably would be best to give them a call, since question 13.f on the form might prohibit me from buying any class 3 stuff.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Title II, not Class 3
    Everything changes at the sound of the timer.

Not sure about drugs, but I have a reckless driving conviction from a three digit speeding ticket in 1990. I claim it and have never had a problem. 126 in a 55; cop was not amused.

Misdemeanors can certainly disqualify you. Under federal law, a misdemeanor punishable by greater (?) than 1 year federal or 2 years state is prohibiting for firearm possession with some exceptions I think. But check it yourself, I am going from memory/not a lawyer either.

Quote Originally Posted by medphys View Post
    Title II, not Class 3
    NFA, not Title II or Class III.

A title II firearm should be registered as per NFA, and can be purchased from a class III dealer.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoeturner View Post
    Best to call NFA Branch and get your answer there.
    50/50 on whether you will get a correct answer.

This is not hard, look at the questions on the 4473, if you pass all them, you can get NFA. There are no additional BG requirements for NFA over any other gun (at the Federal Level).
    NFA Firearms: In A World Of Compromise, Some Don't.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
    A title II firearm should be registered as per NFA, and can be purchased from a class III dealer.
    Or a Class II dealer, or a non-dealer etc.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    This is not hard, look at the questions on the 4473, if you pass all them, you can get NFA. There are no additional BG requirements for NFA over any other gun (at the Federal Level).
    Not every time. That customer I mentioned above got stopped dead in his tracks when buying a suppressor although he had passed a NICS check a number of times before for Title I firearms. It wasn't until he supplied proof the charges were dropped that the F4 was allowed to go through.
    Trusting our government to do the right thing is like playing Russian roulette with all the chambers loaded.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoeturner View Post
    Not every time. That customer I mentioned above got stopped dead in his tracks when buying a suppressor although he had passed a NICS check a number of times before for Title I firearms. It wasn't until he supplied proof the charges were dropped that the F4 was allowed to go through.
    Which proves my point. He looked at the questions, saw he met the legal requirements, and was allowed to buy his NFA item. NFA is Shall Issue, ATF cannot randomly deny folks. You either can legally buy it or not. OP friend needs to read questions, see if she meets requirements or not.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Which proves my point. He looked at the questions, saw he met the legal requirements, and was allowed to buy his NFA item. NFA is Shall Issue, ATF cannot randomly deny folks. You either can legally buy it or not. OP friend needs to read questions, see if she meets requirements or not.
    No, that was not how it went and does not prove your point. You must not have read my original post about this.

The customer's F4 approval was over due so I called NFA Branch to check on it and was told that the customer needed to call the examiner because there was a problem with his background check. I later spoke to the customer who told me that the examiner needed copies of the dismissal documents for the charge filed against him approximately 15 years ago.

He had previously passed the NICS check on several occasions buying Title I firearms but when he submitted his F4 the background check for that turned up the assault charge that had not shown before.
    Last edited by roscoeturner; 02-09-2015 at 11:22 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Duplicate post.

+ Reply to Thread