UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centurion UC-9 Carbine review: Did Century get it Right?

Centurion UC-9 Carbine review: Did Century get it Right?

Hello I am new to this forum and I just wanted to post a review and impressions on century's UC-9 Carbine. First before I purchased this carbine, I went online and read every review, post, and article possible on the gun. The majority of what I found were people who had not owned or fired the gun, but had negative reviews about it because of the company involved in putting together the firearm (Century Arms.) While I am not a Century Arms fan nor am I employed by Century, I am a gun enthusiast. So when I seen the UC-9 at my local firearms dealer I was intrigued. At the time my firearms dealer also had a used IMI Uzi and i compared the two but because of my budget, I could not spend the money on it. So I took a chance on the UC-9 and after taking the gun apart and examining the internal and external parts, inspecting for errors, the gun looked good. The gun looked so good in fact, my father purchased one for himself. So impatiently we waited. We wanted to know were some of the negative reviews and opinions we read about this firearm true. Did Century produce another epic fail ? Are there actually drunken monkeys assembling their products? Can Century Arms successfully assembly a working firearm that is suppose to function correctly? Well this morning my father and I finally went out the the range and the result were quite positive. We fired 200 rounds out of both UC-9s. Neither of us never shot a uzi before and the recoil was almost unnoticeable. Both firearms were accurate out to 50 yards and the long, funny, Pinocchio 16 in. barrel helps. We tested 115 grain federal ammo and 115 grain Tula ammo both cheap and both guns ate it up. Our only complaint about the whole experience was the magazines. While they did feed perfectly, they are so damn hard to squeeze ammo into. Our thumbs were numb and the chilly, windy conditions did not it help. We definitely will invest in magazine loaders. Overall it was a good time and we are pleased with our investment and the results. I did not post any pictures of our targets but the groups were fairly close together, but I would of liked to sighted the gun in but because of the cold I was just trying to get through the ammo. I posted pics of both the uzis below and if anyone has in questions regarding the UC-9 or want to know more about my experience with the weapon I will gladly answer any questions.
    Attached Images      

UZI Talk Supporter
    You joined this forum today to post this review? Do you work for Century? Do you sell Century UC-9's?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

I joined this forum to help others that might be confused with alot of information out there. Granted, I believe that there are indeed UC-9s that do not function properly, but what most firearms have lemons. i have search over dozens of firearms and there is always someone who has a problem with one. This review was not to prove anyone wrong or discount anyone's experience. It was only to demonstrate that the UC-9 is a good firearm. I am not going to go out on a limb and say it is the best firearm ever built or it is better than the original IMI Uzi because it is absolutely not. If there are people like my father and I who were skeptical about purchasing this firearm and the performance of this weapon there is a honest review out there about two UC-9s that work fine.

UZI Talk Supporter

Glad you got a Uzi, welcome to the club. (I feel Century gets a bad rap - considering how many peiced together guns they make, glad you and your buddy got good ones)
    now get red-dots and you will be amazed at how accurate they are at 100 yards

i am sure a statisical polling expert would be the first to point out that the "less than favorable" reviews of the uc-9 on this forum are a direct result of data extrapolated from an improper sample population...(most people already own an uzi and are happy with it)...

Administrator
    ChangeUp, welcome to UZI Talk and congrats on the new UZIs. (I think that's what javelinadave meant to say.) The Century UZIs are like the Vector and Norinco in that many shoot fine out of the box, while others have little problems at first but shoot fine once the problems are addressed. The Century UZIs are made from receivers that are closer to spec than the Group Industries receivers used by Vector, so that's certainly an advantage they have. Some of the Century parts are surplus IMI parts, so they are top notch. The rest of the parts are U.S. made and can vary in quality. The assembly of the gun by Century can also vary in quality like any of their other work. Fortunately the UZI is relatively easy to build compared to many of the other guns that Century builds. As long as the trunnion is welded in properly and the top cover gap is correct, then the gun will usually run well unless some of the drop in parts are out of spec.

How do you like the wood stock vs. folding stock?

UZI Talk Supporter
    ChangeUp,
    Welcome to UZI Talk and congrats on the new UZIs.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Thank you RoverDave and javelinadave for the welcome. The wood stock is my father's and I got to shoot it once. There was not much difference between the two, in terms of recoil or accuracy. I like my folding stock better, but I feel that the wood stock would last longer because it does not have the folding mechanism. My father decided that he is going to keep the wooden stock on his UC-9 as a personal preference. I think the wood used for the stock is very nice and sturdy. My father wants to get a red dot for his UC-9 and possibly get to weapon refinished in a urban digtal camo.

Thanks for the review!

Change,

Thanks for taking time to review your Century. Where in PA are you? Sounds like you have a gun store nearby that stock them. I'd like to have a look at one. Can you say where you bought it?

Meanwhile, I recently bought a M-16 parts based AR-15 that is a Century gun. There were scathing reviews on these guns - probably 20:1 against buying one. I must have got the 1 - as my Century AR-15 is sweet - absolutely flawless. I never intended to buy a Century - what I really wanted was a M-16 parts kit. Sold out. But for only $100 more - I got an operating firearm that I would bet my life on.

So, based on your UZI, and my AR-15, perhaps Century is trying to sort things out.

Ray

Ray

d4xycrq, I live near Pittsburgh. I brought it at Aces Sporting Goods. My father and I go there at least once a week to see if they get anything new in. Since my father brought his uzi two weeks ago, there has not been one on display since. They may still have some or may be able to get more, I'm not sure. Sounds like your AR from century is working out too. My father owns a CZ AK from century and he loves it. It also works flawlessly.

Change,

Ah, waaaay out west. I am on the eastern end of PA. No worries. Enjoy.

Best regards,

Ray

Glad you liked yours too. If you don't already have one. I recommend grabbing a front sight tool while you are looking for your mag loader.

Yeah I need to get a front sight tool. Where can I get one at?

Sarco has them. That's where I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JTY View Post
    Sarco has them. That's where I got mine.
    Me too. $10 minimum on credit card orders, so good excuse to buy something else while there. But no uzi mag loaders on their site.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/uzifrontsighttooltypea.aspx
    Last edited by jimcola; 03-06-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go on there and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcola View Post
    But no uzi mag loaders on their site.
    Just get yourself a Lula and be done with it.

Bryan

OK guys: I am here in pretty gun free PA also and I have an Uzi coming but my question is, if I want to later, can I buy a wooden stock and put it on a Century gun. I like the folder AND the wood stock gun. Can a Century metal underfolder gun allow that conversion to a permanent wood stock (not QD I know because of ATF SBR rules).
    EJ

Quote Originally Posted by eskimojoe View Post
    OK guys: I am here in pretty gun free PA also and I have an Uzi coming but my question is, if I want to later, can I buy a wooden stock and put it on a Century gun. I like the folder AND the wood stock gun. Can a Century metal underfolder gun allow that conversion to a permanent wood stock (not QD I know because of ATF SBR rules).
    EJ
    You should be able to. The folders are surplus parts and I haven't noticed any mods to them. Century also sells the fixed wood stock UC-9's.

Joe,

Century makes a version with a wood stock. No big deal to swap them out, but you could eliminate that step altogether.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by eskimojoe View Post
    EJ

+ Reply to Thread