UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: Price Check on DIAS's

  1. #41
    UZI Talk Life Member
    rhouston8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,093
    amphi and hkg3k,

    Let me clarify a bit. My above rant is really geared more twd RRs...not so much Sears/DIAS, both of which I am a fan of. I fully appreciate the usefulness and value of the non wearable, host hopping sear. That being said we've recently seen MP5 listing for up to $24k I believe and my comments are geared more twd those safe queens and obviously not twd personal heritage guns like the MP40 amnesty gun you have. I'd keep that sucker pristine too!

    It's still a shame that many, many Americans are simply priced out of full auto shooting. It is quickly becoming a rich mans sport unless we are entering a bubble that will pop (unlikely w/o major legislation).

    And everyone with those sears....use 'em!!!!!! Otherwise they are but tiny flecks of metal that arent even fun to look at.

    -HH

  2. #42
    UZI Talk Life Member
    rhouston8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,093
    oh yeah...and JT ....that sear looks like a dog pissed on it, ate it, and crapped it out 5 years later. You bought that thing like that?

    -hh

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    397
    tag

  4. #44
    UZI Talk Life Member
    nuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    amphi and hkg3k,

    Let me clarify a bit. My above rant is really geared more twd RRs...not so much Sears/DIAS, both of which I am a fan of. I fully appreciate the usefulness and value of the non wearable, host hopping sear. That being said we've recently seen MP5 listing for up to $24k I believe and my comments are geared more twd those safe queens and obviously not twd personal heritage guns like the MP40 amnesty gun you have. I'd keep that sucker pristine too!

    It's still a shame that many, many Americans are simply priced out of full auto shooting. It is quickly becoming a rich mans sport unless we are entering a bubble that will pop (unlikely w/o major legislation).

    And everyone with those sears....use 'em!!!!!! Otherwise they are but tiny flecks of metal that arent even fun to look at.

    -HH
    So are your suggesting that machine gun ownership should be a right? that prices should be capped? and that usage should be mandatory (monitored)?

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    So are your suggesting that machine gun ownership should be a right? that prices should be capped? and that usage should be mandatory (monitored)?
    Yeah, I think he is suggesting that MG ownership is a right - as assured by the 2A.

    But unfortunately due to bogus legislation in May 1986 - that we can't seem to get rid of - the "laws" of supply and demand have kicked it into a rich mans hobby, both to get into for the hardware and to continue enjoying given the price of ammo these days.
    So unless the shooter finds a way to buy into NFA, they're on the outside looking in.

    But hey, they don't have a "right" to be able to afford to be in the club so screw 'em, I have mine and they don't.

  6. #46
    Registered User JTinIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    oh yeah...and JT ....that sear looks like a dog pissed on it, ate it, and crapped it out 5 years later. You bought that thing like that?

    -hh
    One gets them sight unseen in the old days, as one of the guys just took a couple off of his key ring and sent them ..... some of the matting surfaces have polished up a little bit after a few dozen cases of ammo and I tend to keep it oily ;-). Had some people take about polishing it, but with the lack of depth of the "engraving" (aka vibrating pencil) would be real easy to make it back into a $5 stamped piece of unmarked metal.

    Besides a close look at your sears might not show much better, with the oil off (this one was bone dry when received and photographed ... then has been oily ever since ;-).

    Take care
    John

  7. #47
    UZI Talk Life Member
    nuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Yeah, I think he is suggesting that MG ownership is a right - as assured by the 2A.

    But unfortunately due to bogus legislation in May 1986 - that we can't seem to get rid of - the "laws" of supply and demand have kicked it into a rich mans hobby, both to get into for the hardware and to continue enjoying given the price of ammo these days.
    So unless the shooter finds a way to buy into NFA, they're on the outside looking in.

    But hey, they don't have a "right" to be able to afford to be in the club so screw 'em, I have mine and they don't.
    And here I had been thinking that the whining on this topic had less to do with the right to bear arms and more to do with the supposed "right" to own products (of any type) which one can't afford, all stoked by class envy. Probably off track, but that's the impression I was getting.

  8. #48
    UZI Talk Life Member
    rhouston8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,093

    just jawboning....

    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    And here I had been thinking that the whining on this topic had less to do with the right to bear arms and more to do with the supposed "right" to own products (of any type) which one can't afford, all stoked by class envy. Probably off track, but that's the impression I was getting.

    whining? whatever. more just observing and commenting. i have plenty of nfa myself so not so much envy although there's always guns further up the ladder im sure everyone desires.

    "right" to nfa? i think you know what im saying by stating that the average joe 6 packs are getting way priced out of FA shooting. And , no that doesnt mean Im saying everyone "deserves a "free" welfare nfa weapon" courtesy of taxpayers or the like. Hell, I'm Im a libertarian, a 1%'er, and a free capitalist. that said, i must say that skyrocketing nfa prices do bother me ,as i stated above, simply b/c it means we'll see less shooting and a fewer # of gun lovers financially able to enjoy our sport.

    that's not a complex concept and nothing more needs to be read into it.

    -hh

  9. #49
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,088
    Interesting to see how RDIAS prices moved in the last 10yrs
    and the thinking on them at the time…

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    279
    last one I saw sell a couple months back went for $35k

  11. #51
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
    last one I saw sell a couple months back went for $35k
    I'm aware of a nice steel one that sold for 40 recently (privately)

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    279
    So, if you go back exactly 10 years, you see that they were $18-20k at that time. Doubling time of price in years is approximately 72/rate of return (a natural logarithm thing). Prices have more or less doubled in 10 years which is a 7.2% rate of annual return. That's good, but it's not the astronomical rate the 2012 posts suggested. (I think the doubling times and annual ROI were similar 2002-2012). I honestly think those who express shock at this phenomenon are not aware of the old saying "people who don't understand compounding *pay* interest; those who do, *earn* it."

    It's the same with real estate which appreciates at an average rate of 3% which is the inflation rate which means in real dollars real estate is flat. But people don't get it. OMF, my house I bought in 1982 for $250K is now $1million! Yeah. About the rate of inflation for an asset held for 40 years, 3% ROI, doubling time, 20 years.

    The other interesting thing, to me, is that the most desirable items all seem to have the same doubling times: M16s, HK sears, RDIAS, heck even MAC11s. I recall visiting a SOT in NW Albuquerque in about 2001 and him showing me his "entry level" gun: SWD NIB 9mm, $3000. Using my above formula, doubling time 10 years at 7.2% annual increase and they should have doubled twice then, so about $12k. And they're right there: https://dealernfa.com/shop/m10-9mm-m...lent-23004470/. Not quite 7.2%, but quite close, and not NIB.

    Projecting into the future, in 10 years, say 2032, RDIAS will be $80k. Think that's absurd? Yeah, that's the point of the resurrection of this thread. Those guys in 2012 thought $20k was absurd. They should have bought every one that came up for that price, if they had the $.

  13. #53
    UZI Talk Life Member
    hkg3k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnh View Post
    I'm aware of a nice steel one that sold for 40 recently (privately)
    I wouldn't let go of any of mine (all steel) for $40k in today's market...
    hkg3k
    Browning, Maxim, Vickers
    Beltfeds: Real Machineguns

  14. #54
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,088
    Transferable RDIAS simply do not come up for sale very often anymore (at any price).
    That being said, I think I’ve seen more trade hands in the last year than in the previous 5yrs.
    A lot fewer RDIAS out there than Hk sears & their utility is way higher.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    279
    Why is their utility way higher?

  16. #56
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by secondofangle View Post
    Why is their utility way higher?
    Because a Registered Receiver M16 is limited by the magwell for mags and caliber. The MGI/Windham Weaponry makes a modular magwell lower. There have been standard, Colt style 9mm, AK 7.62x39 and 5.45X39, large and small frame Glock, and Grease Gun magwells made by MGI. Personally I had an original MGI magwell (thicker than standard wall thickness) converted to use modified Thompson mags based on the Colt style magwell block with a functional last round bolt hold open.

    There is also the fact that the DIAS allows the use of a brand new lower/complete AR-15 style rifle. So if something like an out of battery or overloaded round damages the lower, the chances that such a catastrophic failure would damage the DIAS is very minor.

    Scott

  17. #57
    UZI Talk Life Member
    mattnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,088
    When it boils down to it, a DIAS let’s you LARP with a cheap
    receiver and just replace it with a brand new one at any time…
    No worries if you drop it, scratch it up, egg pin holes, run 9mm, etc…
    Let’s you update an AR to any latest config/mfg and commercial prices.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    279
    Great thanks guys. Now I need an RDIAS too. My wife is going to divorce me

  19. #59
    UZI Talk Life Member
    amphibian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,320
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    Because a Registered Receiver M16 is limited by the magwell for mags and caliber. The MGI/Windham Weaponry makes a modular magwell lower. There have been standard, Colt style 9mm, AK 7.62x39 and 5.45X39, large and small frame Glock, and Grease Gun magwells made by MGI. Personally I had an original MGI magwell (thicker than standard wall thickness) converted to use modified Thompson mags based on the Colt style magwell block with a functional last round bolt hold open.

    There is also the fact that the DIAS allows the use of a brand new lower/complete AR-15 style rifle. So if something like an out of battery or overloaded round damages the lower, the chances that such a catastrophic failure would damage the DIAS is very minor.

    Scott
    +1, Below are some of my MGI lower configurations.
    One of these days, I may try to make a .308 magwell to work with a DPMS G2 upper.


  20. #60
    UZI Talk Supporter
    Gaujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,848
    Dang I didn't know they ever actually released the .45 GG magwell!
    Check out my Youtube channel

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.