UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FNC lowers that ORF made

Lightbulb FNC lowers that ORF made

I was wondering who has these receivers and if there are parts out there to finish building them up as a complete lower I have a complete upper that I would like to build into a working gun.

Ed

There are some misc. parts available, the process for getting in touch with the vendor is kind of mysterious.
    Last edited by thompson4433; 05-30-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mp5pdw2001 View Post
    I was wondering who has these receivers and if there are parts out there to finish building them up as a complete lower I have a complete upper that I would like to build into a working gun.

Ed
    I'm more interested in where you got a complete upper. Do tell.

I bought this year’s age from someone In Indiana I believe that Sarco is the one that imported these parts but not sure but I do know they are pretty rare to find one in the US.

Ed

Do you have an FNC upper or an AK5 upper?

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE ORF LOWERS ARE SEAR READY?

ANYONE?

BUELLER?

BUELLER?

Yes, they should be.

How do you mean that?

You're in favor of it, or it is probable?

Is it not known?

Back when ORF was selling them, they were sear cut. It depends on how complete the lowers were when they were bought from Todd Grove's estate. Assuming that they were completely finished when purchased, they will have the sear slot/hole.

I it is a AK 5 upper.

I recalled seeing pics of an ORF FNC lower and finally found the thread...enjoy. As TehVice stated above, it depends on how complete they are.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...re-s-RFN-5.56&

Interesting, thanks.

Any idea what these lowers will cost?

Are a lot of people interested in buying them? What for? What purpose will they be put to?
    Last edited by thompson4433; 06-07-2012 at 11:49 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    A couple of year back, Greg had several of them at his table during the Oct. KCR Machinegun Shoot. They were unfinished cast ~80% done. They still required a fair amount of machining to complete. I thought about buying a couple from him, but ultimately decided it was a project I didn't have the time for. The fact that they were unfinished casts is what allows Greg to FIX the issues ORF had in their "finished" versions. Whether or not they will be cut for a sear is up to Greg. Personally, I don't see much of a point. Anyone capable of doing a proper FNC conversion should also be capable of milling the slot and drilling the hole. Each sear really has to be "tuned" to the receiver, modified hammer, and modified bolt carrier. Having done this myself, I can tell you it took some trial and error to get right. I.E. it is unlikely you'd ever move an installed sear from one FNC lower to another unless you somehow managed to damage your lower itself (unlikely), and they are not "drop in" even if you have a "sear ready" lower. In my personal opinion, making them "sear ready" would be a bad idea as it would lead folks to believe that a sear could be installed and function properly with little additional work. As a reminder, here is a quick overview of process to install a S&H sear into a FNC (50k foot view):

Mill receiver slot for sear
    Drill sear pin hole
    Make sear pin
    Make sear spring
    Install sear + spring
    Modify hammer for sear catch
    Modify bolt carrier for sear trip
    Replace semi-auto Sear B w/ FA version, or modify semi Sear B to make FA version
    Shape sear for proper timing w/ trip + catch
    Remove sear, case harden, re-install

Personally, I found the 1st to steps to be two of the easiest...

So, what are they good for? A couple of things I can think of:

SOTs wanting to make a post sample w/o cutting up a perfectly good factory lower

Someone who really wants an AR-15 style bolt hold open on their FNC

In case parts kits become available in the future from Pindad and lower receiver imports are prohibited as "machingun fixtures". It sounds like Greg already did some research into this based on his previous post.

If you really want a yes/no answer, I'd recommend sending a PM to Greg himself. After all, he's the one working on the lowers...

+ Reply to Thread