UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L7A1 9mm Ammo

L7A1 9mm Ammo

A friend at work gave me about 250rds of L7A1 ball ammo. It's made by HP with a production of November 1991 I know it's high pressure ammo made for subguns designed for the HKMP5@ about 1500FPS and 124gr. Anyone have experience using this in a M-11 or Max-11?

I hear it's rare but, curious how the Max-11 or M-11 will run it?
    Last edited by boomer135; 08-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    its hot enough that i would not shoot it out of a M11/9. Max11 I would be fine with
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

why not the m-11 and ok with the max-11.
    Last edited by boomer135; 08-16-2012 at 02:26 PM.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    heavy bolt does not slam the back of the receiver
    Chris Hipes
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    North Texas

makes sense... Thanks!

yeah..i think id send my M11/Nine to Sam at practical solutions to look over my welds before trying that stuff in it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Hirtenberber L7A1 ammo was made for harsh, sub-zero Arctic use in the L2a1 Sterling MK4 submachine gun. It was not designed for the closed bolt MP-5 or hand guns. It's use could cause damage to the firearm.

I shot some in a ROF MAX-11 test and probably would not do so again on Richard's advise. His concern was the barrel. This was 4 1/2 years ago, so perhaps he has changed his opinion based on additional testing or experience. I absolutely would NOT shoot any of this +P+ 9mm ammo in an OEM upper for fear of damanging the registered lower receiver welds.

You can see this high pressure L7A1 ammo pushed the bolt further back in the MAX-11 resulting in a longer dwell time and a reduced ROF.
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?18501

I'd be more concerned about the pencil thin M-11 barrel than the welds... just my irrational fear of HP ammo maybe... I'd feel OK using it in an M-10/9, however.

What I was thinking is the modified H&K MPF, as the frenchys wanted to use the +P+ ammo in their sub guns, but they were produced years after the ammo was...reading more, seems the initial need was for adverse conditions as you stated... Personally not worth the worry to run in the max-11...ill just sit it on the shelf...

You do state It was 115 grain, looking at the bulge in the case it looks to me like a 124gr. If my tools weren't already packed up I would pull a bullet and check...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    Hirtenberber L7A1 ammo was made for harsh, sub-zero Arctic use in the L2a1 Sterling MK4 submachine gun. It was not designed for the closed bolt MP-5 or hand guns. It's use could cause damage to the firearm.

I shot some in a ROF MAX-11 test and probably would not do so again on Richard's advise. His concern was the barrel. This was 4 1/2 years ago, so perhaps he has changed his opinion based on additional testing or experience. I absolutely would NOT shoot any of this +P+ 9mm ammo in an OEM upper for fear of damanging the registered lower receiver welds.

You can see this high pressure L7A1 ammo pushed the bolt further back in the MAX-11 resulting in a longer dwell time and a reduced ROF.
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?18501
    Last edited by boomer135; 08-17-2012 at 12:23 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the pencil thin M-11 barrel than the welds... just my irrational fear of HP ammo maybe... I'd feel OK using it in an M-10/9, however.
    I began typing that the M11/9's OEM barrel isn't designed for super nuke ammo but stopped, erased, and posted what you read. I'm sure you remember the relative frequent occurrence of M11/9 barrels "popping" a decade+ ago. I don't know if those were early 1983 guns, but I haven't heard of an OEM barrel splitting in a long time. Perhaps because so few people put tens of thousands of rounds through their stock uppers these days? Ahhh the good old days... Cheap guns and ammo.
    I have seen rear welds crack and Chili17 posted a photo of one not too long ago. I agree this ammo would probably be OK in a MAC-10 9mm, but the OP was specific about using L7A1 ammo in the M11/9 and MAX-11 so I stayed on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer135 View Post
    ...You do state It was 115 grain, looking at the bulge in the case it looks to me like a 124gr. If my tools weren't already packed up I would pull a bullet and check...
    Good catch! That was a typo that went unnoticed all these years. I have changed the Hirtenberger entry to correctly reflect 124 grain. This ammo was fairly cheap surplus about ten years ago and sold for less than ten cents a round IIRC.

Department of the Treasury ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced in the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case.

12 O'clock position: HP
    3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
    6 O'clock position: L7Al
    9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    ehh, barrels are cheap. Think i am on my 4th!
    Chris Hipes
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    North Texas

+ Reply to Thread