UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suppressing my Max11 with the 22 conversion?

Suppressing my Max11 with the 22 conversion?

So, I just submitted my paperwork fro my Thompson Machine SG 9mm suppressor threaded in 1/2-28. My question is about the conversion barrel sticking out about an inch and a half from the 9mm barrel.

Should I have the 22 barrel threaded and adapted to 1/2-28 or would it be fine to just have the .22 barrel cut down to the same length as the 9mm barrel.

Any other issues?

Thanks in advance

UZI Talk Life Member
    First, you are not going to want to run the SG with the 22 kit for too long. Even though it is a take apart can, you will start to get lead build up in the corners of the blast baffle which is very hard to remove. You also may have difficulty getting the monocore out. Trust me, I know.

Regarding the barrel insert sticking inside the suppressor... you may get more lead build up and/or blast baffle damage since the muzzle is closer to the blast baffle. Second, you may have difficulty removing the ejector plate since there will be carbon/lead buildup on the section exposed to muzzle gas.

Third. The MAX-11/22 suppresses well, but you will get a sonic crack which is not really hearing safe. You need to run subsonic ammo to be spooky quiet, but that's a bit more expensive and can be tricky to get running.

If you've got the cash, I would recommend you getting a stainless steel take-apart 22 suppressor such as the Silencerco Sparrow or SWR Spectre II. FWIW, I have the Spectre II, but only because my dealer/friend had an "extra" in stock. I would not hesitate to run the Sparrow.

-or- get a 9mm or 45 can whose manufacturer will not hesitate to rebuild it for you when you fill it with lead. The Bower's CAC9, CAC45, or VERS9s come to mind. If I could do it all over again, I would have a Vers 9S. The finish is great, sound suppression is great, and customer service is great. Plus, the pistol caliber cans tend to not dirty up the kit as fast as the small volume 22 cans.

http://www.subguns.org/products/cans/SMG/

I hope that helps you out some.
    Don't be afraid of the hole.

Thanks medphys,

I do have the tactical innovations "quest" which is stainless and rated for modErate full auto.

Anyone know who does the barrel threading.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Can I shoot my suppressor on a fully automatic firearm?
    The QUEST IS rated for full auto fire. Its lightweight stainless construction makes it a perfect compromise for a handgun / rifle suppressor while still being overly robust for fullauto fire. However, when used for full auto fire (as well as extended high volume semi auto fire), care must be taken not to overheat the suppressor to the point that it could be damaged. You should use the same care that you would use with your firearm or automobile to ensure that you do not cross the line from use to abuse. Volume of fire, barrel length, ambient temperature etc will all be factors contributing to the duty cycle of the suppressor in full auto applications. For really hard full auto fire, we recommend our DIAMOND all stainless steel .22LR suppressor, which is capable of am minimum of EIGHT AM180 275 round drums run back to back with no damage. The DIAMOND suppressor is however too heavy for comfortable use on a handgun or rifle.

I wouldn't be too concerned with using it with the 22 kit.

USMachinegun and TROS both do the Lage 22 threading an adapters.

http://www.usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=48&pg=2
    Don't be afraid of the hole.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Medphys makes a great recommendation. Get a bowers 9mm can for your .22 kit.

Jake
    Quote Originally Posted by MrM4 View Post
    Ive heard he takes orders on his back, but I dont know about backorders. :D

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Medphys makes a great recommendation. Get a bowers 9mm can for your .22 kit.
    +1

Here's a couple of Bowers cans... but not a 9mm. One is for a .45, and the other is a .223. But both work great with full-auto .22 as well.

Thanks for the help and recommendations guys. The SOT I work for on the weekends gave me SG as my Xmas gift this year, so that is what I will be using for the nine.

+ Reply to Thread