UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 11 15 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Building a classic style MAC Operational Briefcase

UZI Talk Life Member

PROJECT: Building a classic style MAC Operational Briefcase

I've been fascinated by the old Operational Briefcases, and decided to build one for my SWD M11A1. I've seen photographs of them here and elsewhere on the 'net, and I thought I'd share the process. I bought a cheap briefcase on Amazon (Solo Expandable, $30) for this first effort, figuring that I can adapt this stuff to a better briefcase if the cheap one gets beat to death. I had some 1x4 and 1x8 lumber here, so I used that and cut it down as needed with a handheld jigsaw and fine-tuned it with a Dremel. I bought pegboard for the base, and I'll use pegboard for the panel that will go in the lid. The fabric and padding was about $15. I've been at this off-and-on for a couple of weeks after I get home from work, and then all afternoon today.

Step one - cut out the "innards" of the briefcase to make it an otherwise empty box.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3228
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 3191
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 3187
Size:  37.2 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Next: Start making cutouts for the receiver. I found that it wouldn't sit flat without carving out areas for the selector switch and the retainer pin in the board that's used as a riser.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 3180
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 3182
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 3179
Size:  42.3 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-22-2012 at 08:33 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Then I added a little padding ("interfacing" from the fabric store) in preparation for wrapping in fabric.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 3224
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  10.JPG
Views: 3214
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 3169
Size:  155.6 KB

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here it is wrapped and installed. I used a moleskin suede fabric. I just HAD to go with that classic old-style green that I've seen in photos of original ones. I used automotive headliner adhesive spray to attach it and in some places I also stapled the cloth to the backside of the wood. It came out reasonably smooth.

Name:  12.JPG
Views: 3160
Size:  130.6 KB

Name:  13.JPG
Views: 3149
Size:  169.0 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-22-2012 at 08:38 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Looking good Mr Concorde!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Now I fitted the suppressor fixture into the intentional gap left on that side of the pegboard, and drilled a 5/8" opening in the side of the briefcase. It was a bit tricky to get it all lined up and I initially used thin cardboard to make the template with the gun and suppressor sitting in the green part of the fixture.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  15.JPG
Views: 3132
Size:  162.9 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-22-2012 at 08:35 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here it is with the suppressor fixture wrapped in black suede fabric and installed, with a luggage tag glued in place lined up over the muzzle opening to hold a cut-down business card.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 3108
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  43.5 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-22-2012 at 11:33 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    My favorite part of the traditional build is the business card holder glued to the area that covers the muzzle. Replace the cards as needed.

A nice touch would be a corded tassel, lock set or ring that could pull the charging handle from the outside.

UZI Talk Life Member
    That's as far as I've gotten as of today. Now I'll need to work on the trigger actuation mechanism. After that, top panel with spent cartridge diverter, and some velcro to hold a couple of extra mags and the wire stock. Then it will be ready to test...

That's pretty ridiculous Good stuff so far!

UZI Talk Supporter

Cool.

Damn! Weren't satisfied with that SWAT bag for very long huh? Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Excellent, Concorde! Very old school looking! Cant wait to see your mechanicals.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sick, sick, sick. I want one.
    Davy Keith,
    FFL / SOT

Rebel Rifle Ordnance, LLC
    www.rebelrifle.com
    418 Pittman Rd.
    Ellisville, MS 39437
    (601)319-2675

There is a briefcase like that for the MP5K and it is like $1000. But I thought the briefcase itself was considered a class 3 item.

More info, there is a good post on hkpro.com http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-ta...iefcase-2.html
    And a cool video.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macshooter View Post
    Damn! Weren't satisfied with that SWAT bag for very long huh?
    I do like the SWAT bag (and thanks, macshooter, for turning me on to that) for being practical, but having one of these was irresistible.
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-23-2012 at 10:03 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agriebel View Post
    I thought the briefcase itself was considered a class 3 item.
    An operational briefcase for a semi gun is an AOW and requires registration. But an operational briefcase for an already registered Class 3 machinegun is just a briefcase.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIDGET View Post
    Cant wait to see your mechanicals.
    I decided it would be much more practical to design the mechanicals using the computer instead of trying to template it out on the actual setup. In the computer I can easily change the pivot point and actuator angles and see what it does (I'm using CorelDraw). I was at first going to use an extra safety rod that you'd have to depress to release the main bar:

Name:  overkill.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  65.8 KB

I decided that was overkill (or as we say, over-engineered) since I am using the gun's safety switch. So... I went with the simpler approach, using a spring to help bring the bar to center (neutral) position:

Name:  mechanism.jpg
Views: 3028
Size:  58.9 KB

I plan to make the flat out of aluminum bar, and use JB-Weld for for the two 'nubs' that turn up and actually work the safety and trigger. I think JB-Weld should hold quite good enough, and I can always replace it and use welding for the 'nubs' if necessary, but I wanted this project to not require any special tools or skills.

This setup is really nice! I know Small Arms Review has had a couple issues over the years that had great articles about homebuilt gun briefcases that would be worth checking out if you could find out the correct backissue to purchase. One of the briefcases was also set up with a laser that way it was easier to point and shoot.

One question I have is that it appears that you have the slide bar coming out the bottom of the briefcase which I feel would be dangerous if you were to set the briefcase down and it were to rock back rearward deactivating the safety switch and then possibly then rock forward causing the briefcase to fire or at least creating an unsafe briefcase that may later be shot if the slide bar were to be bumped forward. Another suggestion would be to possibly have another pivot point that way the slide bar would actually come out the top of the briefcase and fire it that way. The top of the slide bar coming out of the briefcase could be set up like a toggle switch that is setting in a recessed portion of the case safely out the way so that it wouldn't accidentally be activated. You could then put your fingertip down into the recessed area (say in the middle of the handle if that is straight above the trigger) and pull up on the end of the slide bar thus securely locking it into place to fire and then in reverse to securely safe the weapon when you're through. I know they have toggle switches where you have to physically pull up/out on them before you can push them forward or backwards but don't if that would be overkill in this situation or not, if you're not using it for speed to duplicate Secret Service actions it might be worth the extra second it would take to safely deploy the slide bar up and down. I don't even own a Dremel tool so by no means do I want to come off as a critic...but just a couple .02 ideas as this is something I always thought would be cool to make for my Mac-11A1 someday and would want it as safe and reliable as possible. Looking forward to seeing your future progression with this project!

+ Reply to Thread