UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 12 15 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Building a classic style MAC Operational Briefcase

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booger hooker View Post
    This setup is really nice! I know Small Arms Review has had a couple issues over the years that had great articles about homebuilt gun briefcases
    I've seen those referenced and I've looked for those, but haven't been able to find them. Maybe someone here has a scan?

One question I have is that it appears that you have the slide bar coming out the bottom of the briefcase which I feel would be dangerous if you were to set the briefcase down and it were to rock back rearward deactivating the safety switch and then possibly then rock forward causing the briefcase to fire or at least creating an unsafe briefcase that may later be shot if the slide bar were to be bumped forward.
    Yes, that's a very good point, and I plan to make sure that the feet on the bottom of the briefcase are adequately taller than the extension of the bar through the slot there.

Another suggestion would be to possibly have another pivot point that way the slide bar would actually come out the top of the briefcase and fire it that way.
    Yes, the modern, higher-tech HK MP5 briefcases do it that way, but I was looking to make this in the style of the original Cobray-produced ones.

The top of the slide bar coming out of the briefcase could be set up like a toggle switch that is setting in a recessed portion of the case safely out the way so that it wouldn't accidentally be activated.
    That could be done at the bottom also, being careful not to be so wide that you'll end up dropping expended cases brass through it.

I appreciate the ideas and feedback!

Very cool! I have an aluminum briefcase sitting with my shooting supplies that I'll be doing this with eventually.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Not quite a "toggle", but here's an idea I may use for an additional safety feature. The slot cut into the bottom of the briefcase could be notched so that the actuator bar fits at least partially into it when at rest, with or without the return-to-center spring. You'd have to add just a little torque/pressure to it to get the bar out of the notch into the main channel to move it.

Name:  slot.gif
Views: 1179
Size:  5.9 KB

UZI Talk Life Member
    Simpler is often better. No bending, no welding, not even any JB-weld. I used aluminum 1" flat bar, and then 1/4" and 5/8" aluminum rod for the "pins". The top pin will move the gun's safety from SAFE to FIRE, and the bottom pin will actuate the trigger.

Name:  triggermech.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  138.1 KB

This video below shows how they move. I did the video with the bolt closed, but it works just as well to release the bolt from the cocked position.

Last edited by Concorde; 09-25-2012 at 11:19 PM.

One question I have is that it appears that you have the slide bar coming out the bottom of the briefcase which I feel would be dangerous if you were to set the briefcase down and it were to rock back rearward deactivating the safety switch and then possibly then rock forward causing the briefcase to fire or at least creating an unsafe briefcase that may later be shot if the slide bar were to be bumped forward.

Yes, that's a very good point, and I plan to make sure that the feet on the bottom of the briefcase are adequately taller than the extension of the bar through the slot there.
    Why not mount the gun upside down in the briefcase? That way the trigger lever could be positioned in the handle area, and it could be used with one hand.

It does look great BTW...Nice work.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogon1013 View Post
    Why not mount the gun upside down in the briefcase? That way the trigger lever could be positioned in the handle area
    Because... this project intended to closely match the original Cobray design, and it had the trigger on the bottom of the case... though I think putting the gun upside down might also have gravity working against you for handling the spent cases. You could still mount the gun vertically but work out some kind of linkage to get the trigger actuator to the handle area if that's what you wanted.

It does look great BTW...Nice work.
    Thank you!

to keep the spent brass from messing up action maybe use steel cased ammo and a magnate
    also would a mac 10 .45 work

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    also would a mac 10 .45 work
    RPB did make such a briefcase for the M10, but it required a very short suppressor rather than the standard one. Most business briefcases are around 17"-18" long. There are photos of an M10 briefcase setup with short suppressor in THE MAC MAN book, but here's one from a search:

Name:  45shortcan.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  78.3 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-29-2012 at 12:16 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Very nice work. A backwards L shaped piece of flat bar mounted with a screw on the right side of your mounting block and then welded to your existing flat bar for a top firing trigger. I know you want the trigger mechanism on the bottom. I was just thinking of building one myself. Thought about it for some time. Just never got to it. Will be watching to see the finished product!!!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK43 View Post
    A backwards L shaped piece of flat bar mounted with a screw on the right side of your mounting block and then welded to your existing flat bar for a top firing trigger.
    This is a very poor example by someone using an airsoft MAC, but it gives a visual on a linkage orientation option.

Name:  airsofttop.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  119.5 KB

Very interesting. Great work......

UZI Talk Life Member
    an extended lage safety might help in being longer with more surface area to get a purchase on...
    just saying

great work though

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffDragon View Post
    an extended lage safety might help in being longer with more surface area to get a purchase on...
    That's very true... and in fact I considered that, but decided I wanted this to work with a factory-configured M11A1.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Briefcase base is completed with trigger actuator cutout for exterior access, working perfectly in dry-fire tests.

Name:  finishedbase.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  113.9 KB

Generally these cases scare me. But your case allows carring with the safety ON. That is a big improvement. Genius really!
    What does the trigger look like on the bottom of the case?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timkel View Post
    Generally these cases scare me. But your case allows carring with the safety ON. That is a big improvement. Genius really!
    Thank you - this briefcase is primarily a demonstration (show-off?) piece and is certainly not an everyday carry... but still, safety is paramount and being able to use the mechanical safety on the SMG was very important to me.

What does the trigger look like on the bottom of the case?
    The trigger is just a stub of the aluminum bar coming out of the slot, with all edges and corners smoothed or beveled. I painted the exposed stub in black. The slot is covered in a piece of black cloth for cosmetics (I'll replace that with a piece of black vinyl so it more closely matches the case material, but it's what I had on hand and it isn't where it would normally show if you're carrying the briefcase anyway). The slot cover material only has a slit in it so that the slot itself isn't really visible as the soft black material flexes around the actuator stub. The original feet on the case were just 1/4" high, so I replaced them with feet that are 1/2" high so that the trigger bar is well protected if you sit the case down vertically, and the stub is long enough to easily manipulate when gripping the briefcase, but not so long that it would hit anything when put down on a reasonably flat surface.

Name:  triggerblk.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  73.3 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 09-27-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Damn cool.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    so I replaced them with feet that are 1/2" high so that the trigger bar is well protected if you sit the case down vertically, and the stub is long enough to easily manipulate when gripping the briefcase, but not so long that it would hit anything when put down on a reasonably flat surface.
    any way you could build a "fence" around that to further protect against an AD?
    I realize its probably academic at this point, but setting the case down on some sweet shag carpet in a pimp's house and a little rub back n forth causes a mag dump.

kudos though. nice to see people follow thru with an idea.

what if you put a spring that would hold the bar away from the safety . you then would push the bar down to take it off to fire
    also since it is class 3 already you could use a solenoid
    Last edited by mmi; 09-27-2012 at 11:42 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffDragon View Post
    any way you could build a "fence" around that to further protect against an AD?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    what if you put a spring that would hold the bar away from the safety . you then would push the bar down to take it off to fire
    See post #23... "spring fence" built in by the location and shape of the slot.

Keep those ideas coming!

+ Reply to Thread