UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 3 13 15 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Building a classic style MAC Operational Briefcase

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    See post #23... "spring fence" built in by the location and shape of the slot.

Keep those ideas coming!
    ah yes.....that's better.
    I just know how my luck goes sometimes and the dumb shit always happens to me....

now, have it reload by shaking it like the mariachi boys in desparado

UZI Talk Life Member
    It's ALIVE!!!!
    Name:  youngfrank72.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  13.3 KB
    It's ALIVE!!!!

The briefcase is essentially complete except for the cartridge diverter. I put the gun on semi and safe, closed the case and used the actuator to take it off safe and test fire it with a 3 semi shots. Then I opened the case and reset the gun to full auto with safety on, closed the case, and used it to dump the rest of the mag. It worked great!

I protected most of the gun with blue painters tape since I didn't have the diverter installed, though not having the diverter didn't seem to cause any issues. I still plan to put in a diverter, but it occurred to me that instead of the simple bent-sheet diverter that Cobray used, I could take a piece of Kydex and form it so that it was more of a "tunnel" (or funnel), protecting the gun's lower and grip area from cases bouncing around, which the old style diverter left exposed.

I've ordered a couple of sheets of Kydex to try that out.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Nice that it works.
    Great job on it.
    I looked @ making one for my M/10 but with the can on Only a large suitcase would work.
    Even a medium one is two short.

UZI Talk Life Member
    video!

Quote Originally Posted by BuffDragon View Post
    video!
    ^ +1

UZI Talk Life Member
    Congratulations on the birth of a new Mac gizmo! Nice retro build. I'd love to see video too.

Ditto on seeing a video!

UZI Talk Life Member
    OK, next time I take it out I'll set up the video camera. I'm waiting for the Kydex sheet to get here so I can make the shell diverter before the next live-fire test.

I am surprised that the casings don't cause a jam. Great that it works.

Sweet build, good to see this topic reborn!

Awesome build! I have to redesign mine alittle! It lasted about 4 mag dumps and then blew the side of the suitcase open!!! Hahahahah was pretty fucking funny seeing foam and cloth blow out along with 30 rounds! Justake sure it's solid in place, cause a tiny bit of play will fuck it all up!!! Looks awesome though! Great build, now I'm motivated for round two! Also would like to see a video of yours in action!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here's an update to the rear of the case... I replaced the black cloth with some of the vinyl off of the briefcase upper insert I'd cut out in my first step for a perfect match. The black paint was already wearing off of the aluminum trigger actuator bar, so I wrapped the tip in black heatshink:

Name:  triggercase.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  65.7 KB

And the Kydex 0.060 sheet came in. I read a couple of tutorials on the 'net about cutting and forming it, and went to work. Great stuff.

I decided that the idea of making the spent case diverter to be a "tunnel/funnel" was another instance of my tendency to over-engineer. Here it is with the simple Kydex spent case diverter:

Name:  case1.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  58.9 KB

The extra mags had to go horizontal... they wouldn't fit vertically without interference with the suppressor. I actually like them this way. And it left me room for another piece of velcro to attach my "protector"... a much simpler way of keeping the gun's finish in good shape.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here's that "protector" sheet. I'll leave it set aside when displaying the gun in the case, but it has tabs and just slips in to protect the gun's finish when in use. The hold-down block in the briefcase top keeps it in place to supplement the tabs and molding.

Name:  kydex1.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  case2.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  w_kydex.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  69.0 KB

very nice.

That's nice, you did a good job. Just one little thing. If the ejected brass case gets "caught" between the bolt and the ejection port, it will bend the upper. I bent mine a few years ago.
    Last edited by Banshee; 10-03-2012 at 12:54 PM.

tag

UZI Talk Life Member
    Finally shot it since installing the case diverter... very disappointing as it would consistently jam with an empty brass case blocking the bolt after 3 or 4 shots.

I redid the design of the diverter to more curve, and voila... perfect mag dumps, both with and without my "protector shield" over the gun. I did take video, and will post it shortly.

According to photos in THE MAC MAN book, the original MAC cases didn't use a diverter at all, and my case worked pretty good that way, probably because my top panel is padded. The original RPB cases did use a diverter, but they appear to have been 90-degree "L" shaped that seemed to do no more than keep brass away from the cocking handle, so I thought adding my angled one would be an improvement. The top drawing is a cross section representing my original diverter that worked poorly. The bottom design is the new one that worked perfectly.

Name:  diverter.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  3.6 KB

and here's a photo added showing the actual diverter in its final form:

Name:  diverter-pic.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  91.1 KB
    Last edited by Concorde; 10-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    OK, here's the video. I shot one box of ammo for the test split between two magazines, so 25 rounds per mag dump. I have the case pointed slightly upwards, and that's intentional because I'm not testing against a target, just shooting at the middle of the berm. I had meant to take off the business card over the muzzle opening, but I forgot... you can see the white paper fluttering down after the first mag dump. The first mag dump didn't use the protective shield-plate over the gun's frame, but I didn't see any damage. I did put the shield on for the second mag dump. I captured the case getting opened after the second mag dump... I love the smoke coming out.

If I was going to use this as anything other than a show-off/demo toy, I know I'd have to work on my technique (I'm not very smooth). But as it's turned out now that it's completed, I really like it and it was well worth the build! I had a number of people come up to me at the range afterwards to ask about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLq07Wf1GB8
    Last edited by Concorde; 11-27-2012 at 09:15 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Very nice job. I would like to have one myself.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Great vid! Good job.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Awsome project!
    Having shot a factory H&K operational briefcase with a MPK 5, I can attest to how much fun shooting a briefcase is.
    Any chance you can post a link for us iMAC/iPad users.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

+ Reply to Thread