UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 6 15 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Building a classic style MAC Operational Briefcase

UZI Talk Life Member
    What brand/model briefcase is that? It looks like you *almost* didn't have enough vertical height (meaning from the bottom of the mag to the top of the gun sights), but I'm glad it did work for you. Please post more photos, especially showing the case and fixtures without the gun in it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampMan View Post
    the kydex cover seemed a bit overly complex
    For the record, that's another instance of me "over-engineering" it. The Kydex cover isn't necessary and really seems to serve no purpose... gravity takes over after the deflector does the initial work, and I've found that the gun doesn't show any marks from shooting in the briefcase without it. I don't use it anymore.

Yeah, the vertical height was close. I could have moved the gun up a bit. I wanted to make it fit the zytel mags since they are longer than the PAM2's. I'm not really sure what the make/model of the case is. The truth is that the case was given to me by a friend who had it in his closet for the last 10 years. Outside of a little paint and a luggage tag, everything I used was scrap pieces of wood from my workshop. I probably only have about $10 into the case. That and about 30 hours of build time.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Swamp: Another difference I see is that you are using a single stub for both the safety and trigger. I tried that but found that the geometry of having it that high up on the trigger made the amount of pressure required to actuate the trigger more than I preferred, which is why I put a a separate trigger stub (rod) more towards the tip.

Yeah, that's one nice thing about the Lage extended safety. I was able to actuate the safety using the same catch as the trigger. It is perfectly positioned in front of the trigger so mine works the same as your case, I just only needed one catch on the lever. It made the firing mechanism a bit simpler.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Our local full-auto range reopened today (it's closed during duck season!) so I took the M11/9 briefcase out to run a couple of mags through the gun to make sure the trigger mechanism and case diverter were working properly, though I was pretty sure it would be fine since I patterned those after my successful M11A1 case build.

Those parts worked just fine... however, the area of the briefcase around the muzzle blew out! It wasn't a bullet strike, but looks more like a pressure burst. I knew there'd be more blast pressure without the suppressor, but I thought I had made the hole enough oversized so that wouldn't happen. Apparently not.

At least I know how to fix it: either bring the tip of the barrel all the way to the outside of the case (though not past where the business card fits), and/or make the exit hole (blast relief) even larger.

Video to follow later for your entertainment.

that is very cool! Sucks it blew though

Interesting, I had the exact same problem. I think that it is the high pressure gas as it rapidly expands. I made a thin steel plate insert for my luggage tag and screwed it into the side of the case. I also used wood filler to fill in the gap between the outside of the case and the plate.

This problem actually slowed down my testing because it was tearing the outside of the case up. I am hoping that my last modifications fixed the problem, but I think the ultimate fix is to move the gun forward and make the muzzle flush with the outside of the case and not recessed like it is now. I don't think I am going to change my case now because I don't feel like rebuilding it. But if I make another one, that is what I will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    Video to follow later for your entertainment.
    Looking forward to it!

I've been waiting for an update, but didn't want to bother you.

UZI Talk Life Member
    The blowout, as promised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWyXUQbfBj4

All of the "innards" are still intact, and I've got another briefcase here, so it shouldn't be too long before I can do another test after making the adjustments.

UZI Talk Life Member

Damn! It was pretty cool though.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

Really I think the difference is the fact that this one is not suppressed. The suppressor should decrease the outgoing pressure of the gas before it comes in contact with the side of the case. An unsuppressed M11 generates a lot of expansion pressure. If its unsuppressed, I think the barrel will need to be flush with the outside of the case in order to keep the case together.

UZI Talk Life Member

M11/9 Briefcase v1.1

Version 1.1 of the M11/9 briefcase is ready for testing. After the "blow out" during the previous test, I used a another (new) briefcase and I took the mounting blocks to move the gun forward about 3/8 of an inch to make the muzzle extend just slightly past the outside surface of the briefcase and sit even with the leather of the business card holder (a business card still slides in properly).

I plan to take it to the range for testing early this week. Whether success or failure, I'll post the video. I really think this will solve the blast pressure issue and work just fine.

Name:  Briefcase9-11a.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  briefcase9-11b.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  briefcase9-11c.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  65.1 KB

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything stays together...

and anxiously awaiting the video!

UZI Talk Life Member

SUCCESS!!!

Today's test was completely successful with the revised design!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdOhJJrlO4

Great job! But, I like picking up Brass.... LOL........NOt

YES!!!!!

awesome! im jealous... not just 'cause the briefcase too, but your success rate with mag feeds and ejects! lol.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhay777 View Post
    ...your success rate with mag feeds and ejects!
    Just Zytel mags with Lage steel feedlips that day (in the video as well as other shooting).

115gr Rainier round nose bullets and 4.6gr of HP38 powder. My gun loves that combination... your mileage may vary.

UZI Talk Life Member
    LATEST PROJECT PLANS:

Have five briefcases "in the raw" here for new builds. I'm building another briefcase for a M11/9 without suppressor, another for a M11A1 with suppressor like my first one, one for an M11 (oldstyle) with small magwell and suppressor, and an oversized briefcase for an M11/9 *WITH* suppressor (getting it to fit is iffy, but it'll be a beaut if it does).

The first M11/9 case that was used in the video is ready to go out to ship out to the guy here who commissioned the work.

+ Reply to Thread