UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burgess SW76 guns

Burgess SW76 guns

looking to pick up another MG. was thinking about one of Jim Burgess' tube guns, the SW76. how does it compare to the S&W76 and the other clones out there?

UZI Talk Life Member

I would say be careful of the Stemples and the MK 760's, unless the Seller guarantee's them to run. I own 3 Stemples and 2 MK 760's and bought them at a good price…still in shop and waiting for the final bill where they will be reliable. One of them is a Panama City MK 760 and I already know that the mag well has to be taken off and re-positioned and re-welded. I have a Swedish K Port Said kit and I have discussed with my Gunsmith about making this gun where it will shoot coffin mags and suomi drums.

What is available in the market - There are Two Stemple Tube Guns that you can buy, basically new or re-built, and they are 1) A Jim Burgess S&W 76 (all of his guns use old or newly manufactured S&W Parts and are in changeable), "http://www.jmbdistribution.com/class3_guns_forsale.htm" and 2) A BRP Kit Gun "http://www.brpguns.com" - They are more expensive than the Burgess Gun, but you do get a lot of bang for the buck, and, you don't see these guns come up for sale very often. Both Jim Burgess and Brian Poling of BRP would be glad to entertain you for a day and let you sample their wares.

I have thought of trading in one of my Stemples to BRP for one of their kit guns; BRP gives a pretty nice fee for a registered Stemple Tube. There is an option - you could buy one of my Stemples for a nice price (by the way, I have one that runs, but that ain't the one that I would sell) and you could be frustrated with a single shot machine-gun and trade it in to BRP for one of their "wiz bangs" which do work. LOL!

If you want a shooter, then Jim or Brian are good options in the market because their stuff works. If you want to buy something for investment and to play with, then a C&R S&W 76 might be a better option. I live in Alabama too and one of my MK 760's is a Fruithurst Alabama Gun, which they were the "best" of the MK 760's because most of them will run, mine included. As far as I know, it is the only SMG that was produced in AL for civilian sales. I have thought it was a good investment too. Hope this helps and good luck in your search! Lonnie Joe

The Burgess gun is about as close as you can get to a S&W76 without the C&R price. As Lonnie stated, there are two avenues to chose from. I like the look and feel of the Burgess gun, but the major draw back with this gun are the lack of parts. You will be fishing for extractors, bolts, and springs with this platform as they emulate parts of the S&W76. As you know these parts are scarce and people with the MK760 platform have suffered the same peril.

If you go the BRP route, granted a little more expensive, you will have access to a bottomless pit of part and supplies. IMHO the best route for the Stemple platform.

Lonnie, I will send you a PM and connect with you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lonniejt View Post
    I have thought of trading in one of my Stemples to BRP for one of their kit guns; BRP gives a pretty nice fee for a registered Stemple Tube.
    I spoke to Brian at BRP today about a Vickers parts order and brought up this point with him. While I did not mention virgin Stemple tubes (if there are such things running around) he did say he no interest in accepting a full Stemple gun to be upgraded. He felt that it was too much work to remove the old parts from the receiver for the return on investment.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmcm View Post
    looking to pick up another MG. was thinking about one of Jim Burgess' tube guns, the SW76. how does it compare to the S&W76 and the other clones out there?
    There was an article several years ago about them in Small Arms Review magazine, not sure what issue, you can search/look up back issues on their website.

I should have one in the mail on Monday, I'll see about posting my review when it arrives.

Well after a little research, I went the BRP route. Going with their U9 version, but once stamp in hand, will be getting the kits for the rest. After doing further research (because of y'all), I just had to go with BRP. I had to look at things like this may be my last MG purchase for quite a while, and the versatility of Brian's platform was a seller. (Not to mention the amount of drums already on hand waiting for Richard to finish my Max31)

Plan on riding up and shooting my gun while I'm waiting on the F3 to clear.

Brian was a pleasure to talk too and deal with.

Thanks for the input folks!

Mine has been in hand for a week or two. Still haven't shot it yet, but here are the initial impressions:

1. Finish is very nice. On Par with the MK760 that I have, probably nicer actually. Welds look good. Everything seems right.
    2. Mags lock in well, but don't always stay in when given a slight tug. I'll have to fit some by hand and see what happens, but looks like a small amount of fitting is required. Shoudn't be an issue.
    3. Gun seems to function check in Auto Only. I've been in contact with Jim, he's been on the ball with helping me figure it out and it looks like I can get it fixed myself. Seems the grip may need to be trimmed slightly to allow the trigger gaurd the ability to go back further when tightened down, allowing the trigger to be pulled further back. As it sits now, it drops the sear, but doesn't allow for the semi function when in semi mode, just auto all the time. This seems to be an easy fix, so a non issue there.

So overall, without shooting it, I'd give it a Solid A rating. Perhaps not an A+ out of the box since I have to do some minor tweaking, but I did confirm the gun will lock back in Semi when I loosen the grip.

Emails with Jim have been good, and he's called me when I had the Semi problem after it arrived. That' good customer service.

Don't hesitate to snap up one of these, I don't think he has many left and the price hasn't changed in a few years.

Ok, got the BRP U9 and super happy. Thinking of the Burgess gun again. How's yours going JC Weaponry?

I got my Burgess gun several years ago. It originally shot very well and reliably. Over time, however, I've been getting stovepipes more and more frequently. So I repeatedly put it aside to look at later.

On the suggestion of a fellow local MG shooter I finally removed the extractor and, lo and behold, there were mounds of dried, caked burnt powder in the extractor groove under the extractor. Presumably those mounded cakes were pushing the extractor up in the groove and not letting it grab the shell case rim effectively, leading to the stovepipes.

So I cleaned the snot out of the extractor and groove and will not be slathering it with CLP any more. In about 2 weeks I'll be trying the SW76 again at the next Thompson Collectors Association shoot, fully expecting it to once again be its original bullet hose.

Big +1...must keep the extractor / slot clean.

UZI Talk Life Member

Second To None

I just rec'd my STG U9 and I got the BRP Suomi kit for it as well... I'm floored at the quality and workmanship + the fact that it is a "new" old machine gun. Mr. Poling has a superior product. I would have liked to have met Mr. Stemple.

I agree X Ray, I am certain that it is one the best values out there in the world of transferables

Following up on this, after cleaning the dried caked filth out of the extractor slot the Burgess SW76 ran flawlessly using both WWB and S&B 115g ammo. Flawlessly.

I then tried some Lawman 124g and got stovepipes. Switching back to 115g the gun again ran flawlessly. I suspect that switching to the other recoil spring that Mr. Burgess included with the gun would fix that, but I ran out of range time to experiment.

BTAIM, I'm happy with using just plain Jane 115g.

Well, thanks to everyone for the input. Spoke to Mr Burgess, he said he has found a local machinist to make spare bolts for him. I went ahead and sent my order in for a SW76 made by him.

I also ordered a SW76.

UZI Talk Life Member
    What is the charge for the new bolts?
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-Ronald Reagan

He said it would be 'around 300 or so'

Well the Burgess gun showed up Saturday form 4 being mailed today. The welds look good and a function test seems to check out. I need to figure out the best suppressor option now.

Awesome! Looks great, thanks for posting the pic. Let us know how it shoots!

+ Reply to Thread