UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galil top cover question

Galil top cover question

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a question, I just got a new to me ohio rapid fire galil and am noticing some play in the top cover (very little really). I was wondering what is an acceptable amount of play in the top cover if any.

If this is bad I'd like to get it fixed before I start pouring ammo through it given todays prices ofcourse, any point in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

I can't tell you about whether there should be any play, but my TennGalil build is super tight with no play in it.

Welcome. Need a further bit of info. This is a CAI rifle or some other? CAI used ORF receivers and some pretty tired South American stuff for many of their builds, most of which were less than OK. How much play do you have as some of them have quite a bit. The cover should be tight on the top of the receiver. If it's rocking side to side, you can put the squeeze on the top cover to get it to tighten up a bit. Is the recoil spring guide tight in the cover? Is the cover tight against the gas tube? Take the recoil guide rod/spring assy out and check the cover fit side to side, front to back. Is the rear of the cover tight in the recess on the back of the receiver? Are the sides of the cover tight against the receiver. If the answer to any of the above questions is NO, then think about replacing. I had a CAI Golani that the top cover was loose and ended up replacing it. It had been stretched and abused too many times in the past. Sometimes, the covers are just tired and need to be tossed for a new one. All of mine are TIGHT!! My

Brouhaha,

Welcome to the forum BTW! To answer your question on what is an acceptable amount of play on a Galil topcover. It should be close to none. Here is why. The development of the Galil rifle was loosely taken from the AK-47 design so in a effort to improve accuracy the Israeli engineers moved the rear sight further back on the Galil's topcover opposed to the AK-47 sights which where placed much closer together. The AK's rear sight was fixed on the upper receiver making it a more stable platform. The Galil's rear sight of course is removed when the top cover is taken off for cleaning. If you have a slight play when you move the topcover by hand you will surely have even more play during firing affecting accuracy down range.

The Galil/Golani/ORF topcovers are notorious for being a S.O.B. to put back together and many new/novice Galil owners will break out hammers, mallets trying to get the damn thing back on. Sometimes this will lead to warping the topcover and giving this type of play you described. Start first by laying your topcover on a flat surface and checking for gaps towards the back of the topcover. If you are good and flat there the next thing I would check is for a worn gastube (yes gastube) My CAI Golani came with a loose topcover and I noticed where the topcover and the gastube meet (channel) there was quite a bit of wear. I bought a new gas tube (with less wear) and my cover was tight again and problem solved! Congrats on your new rifle! Lou

UZI Talk Supporter

Any good sources for reasonably priced and good condition top covers?

UZI Talk Life Member
    try adjusting the top cover first.
    tension is adjusted at the rear bottom of the T/C where the strap it spot welded on.
    you'll need a small hammer and a block of scrap wood.

if it's loose turn the top cover w/ the back(square hole) sitting on the block so you are facing the inside of the cover.
    tap along the bottom edge w/ the hammer- lightly- a little is a lot.
    check fit.
    if the cover is too tight hold the T/C facing the strap(spot welded piece) or front of cover away from you.
    at the bottom edge below the square/op rod hole lightly tap along the edge- check fit.
    you want the cover to require a slight whack with the heel of your hand to seat.
    if you need a hammer to put the cover on it's too tight- if it drops on it's too loose.
    if it's a PITA it's just right.

UZI Talk Supporter

Looking down the barrel, the left rear raises about 1/8" of an inch with the right being against receiver groove... Front sight moved far right to compensate.

Will adjusting the back strap fix this or do I need to bend it, or just try to source a new top cover?

I thought about JB welding a metal shim, but I'd really like to fix it correctly.

Thanks Tennagalil. Plan on sending it your way eventually anyway to raise/fix Century's feed ramp and possibly a chamber bevel if you think it's advisable. But would like to fix the cover on my own if possible.

UZI Talk Life Member
    unless you're using a 5lb hammer to put the T/C on your rec. needs the bevel cut on the front trunnion.
    you're fixing the T/C when the rec. is the problem.

with the top cover off look at the left front trunnion.
    just above the ser. # is a square edge behind the ears/slot for the gas tube- that's what is causing the T/C to cant.
    the outside edge of the flat needs to be angled/ground to allow the T/C to fit.

i use an 80 grit disc on a air grinder and do a 45 deg. angle all the way from the rear of the gas tube ear back.
    at least 1/16-1/8" flat.

if you look at a pic. of an IMI or CNC rec. you'll see what i'm talking about.

UZI Talk Supporter

Reviving this old thread.

Still having trouble w/ my Golani top cover having followed all the suggestions. Thank you nonetheless.

Tried a top cover from one of my parts kits today and it seems to stay in place better... It's rear is like the one on the left here where that second layer of metal extends up to the recoil rod lug:

However my Golani top cover lacks that upward extension lip in entirety. It just stays flat around the bottom in line with where that extra metal is on the corner in above.

Just wanted to mention as I hadn't seen the different rear configurations of top covers discussed before...

Quote Originally Posted by RSR View Post
    However my Golani top cover lacks that upward extension lip in entirety. It just stays flat around the bottom in line with where that extra metal is on the corner in above.

Just wanted to mention as I hadn't seen the different rear configurations of top covers discussed before...
    I had had these types of T/Cs before.
    They all came from Colombian/Guat kits so I believe that to be their origin.

Do me one favor; put the rear aperture in the half-way position and see if there are any markings below it on the base.

UZI Talk Supporter

The only marking was on the stamp on the side of the rear sight housing: "0972", nothing underneath the rear sight

Here's the rear top cover view:

And these are the front where connects to the gas tube -- the notch/ridge in top center of top cover is visible where it was stamped from the bottom, but that notch/ridge no longer exists:

RSR, can you tell us what exactly is the problem you are having with the top cover (u might have mentioned it but I missed it)? There is a specific way to put the top cover on a Galil and if you are new to the Galil world and don't know the trick. The Galil top cover can be very tricky to put on.

UZI Talk Supporter

Nope, I have the top cover install down. Put the recoil rod tenuously balanced on edge of the receiver just below its seating groove, install cover requiring palm smack to seat tightly, and rack.

The issue in particular is that the rear left side likes to raise up about 1/8" or so despite ensuring everything fitting as tightly as possible while still allowing the topcover install.

I've decided either my topcover is bent crooked or the recoil rod hole is slightly off parallel (hard to see in that pic but it looks like it might be just enough to do it [or my mind's playing tricks]).

My point of the post wasn't asking for help, just rather noting the different topcover that didn't seem to align with extra reinforcement under the recoil rod lug with either of my two parts kits nor with pictures on here. And that that difference might be add'l contributing factor to my issue not yet being resolved. More of a just fyi note to the boards for other folks having these issues (the recommendations reduced the popup by 1/2, especially the trunnion angle).

My GLN Golani has a slightly canted gas block, needs the feed ramp adjusted up so bullets don't strike chamber face, and some other perfection issues, but haven't yet decided if I want to use it for parts (cost the same as a parts kit) and throw them onto a CNC Warrior receiver, spend the $ to have Tennagalil repair it (probably break even on that w/ current Golani prices), or just sit on it until after I complete my 3 planned builds -- ARM, SAR, and R4...
    I'd like to build my Golani into an AR configuration (currently is but no bayo lug on gas block [do have the separate band lug which I might do as an early example setup but looking for a bayo lug AR gasblock as well which I think I prefer], and throwing around the idea of a 16-16.5" barrel but probably won't since I have VZ58s in that niche already), but need to run the $/#s and figure out which cost/value proposition looks best...
    Currently I have this GLN configured as a "modernized" Galil with a Midwest Rail, Grip pod (less for grip more for bipod capability, forward grips I like AFGs on carbines), and forward red dot (thought about scout scopes but don't particularly care for them), and am getting a blackthorne mount for the above topcover scope mount (the promag was too wide to fit the Golani receiver dovetail, and searching says that blackthorne should fit the narrower GLN rails) and am going to try a DMR scope [1-5 or 6x] or possibly Primary Arms 5.56 ACSS (1-6x with a unique but highly practical reticle] scope) -- think the ACOGs will sit too high but another interesting option there. Once I have the three builds completed, I'll probably configure this differently however, but it's currently fulfilling the role of a general purpose intermediate tactical rifle for me. Will probably change once I have the others built and setup and understand their best purposes, but since I have the forward Midwest rail on it is why I was thinking of cutting the barrel back and making it more of a 5.56 Galil carbine and throwing a red dot back on it. Don't have the same hesitation with changing the original on this one as I will on one of my investment builds, haha. And I have decided I prefer the looks and concept of the modernized original over the (IMO) funky Galil ACE -- something about the polymer and looks of the Galil with Stanag Magwell/mags that I can't subscribe to...
    Last edited by RSR; 05-28-2014 at 09:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread