UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M10/9 magazine questions

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'm very fimiliar with the converted 40 round Uzi mags and understand their limitations. I owned several of these mags back when i had my FS, FA Vector Uzi, and I still own several of these for my M–16/9mm. I've seen guys that didn't understand how to use these mags and watched two NDs. The first one i witnessed was when a shooter rested the magazine on a window inside the shoot house. When he moved his gun from the window to address the malfunction, it relieved the upward pressure of the magazine against the bolt and discharged safely downrange. The other was a shooter who just couldn't grasp what was happening with the mags in his Uzi even after I tried to explan it to him. He DQed himself from the match and left still not understanding what had happened.

I'm sure you could grind down an extra .45acp catch if needed, but Mark has them available.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

UZI Talk Supporter

You can just grind down a .45acp mag catch to 9mm mag catch specs. Seems I remember doing that years ago when I was putting together a couple of caliber conversion kits for friends.

UZI Talk Life Member
    My RBP mags arrived from FTF Industries today. For those of you who've been around for a while, you'll remember the lousy service and slow shipping this company was once known for. Over the last year or so, they seem to have seriously turned things around. I couldn't be happier with the five dollar USPS Priority Mail shipping that occurred the same day I placed my order. Two thumbs up!

The mags are all steel to include the followers and have a nice, smooth finish. If I have any complaints, its that they are made from a light gauge steel, but that wont matter if they run well. It'll be a couple 'o three days before I can actually try them with the rest of my conversion kit.

Unknown M-10/9 clone mag with plastic follower on the left, RPB mag on the right.
    Attached Images  

Getting ready to board to head Vegas, I will definitely be checking out this thread for a range report when I get back next week. Hopefully flush with cash...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Look for nice weather.
    Highs right at 100, and 76 degrees for overnight lows. Single digit humidity.

Are you coming for the EDC? Enjoy your trip!

UZI Talk Life Member
    I managed a brief test fire tonight of my 9mm conversion kit. The RPB mags ran perfectly using three different kinds of factory ammo! these included Winchester White Box bulk 115 gain, Federal 124 grain, and a box of 115 grain Silver Bear I found hiding in an ammo can. I tried Winchester 147 grain truncated nose, but it failed to feed which honestly didn't surprise me. It was getting dark and the Silver Bear was throwing sparks from the muzzle a good ten feet. It was like having sparklers on the 4th of July. I don't know where i got this ammo, but it sure ran great.

Additionally I added my suppressor to the gun to see if it made a difference. It didn't, and the RPB mags functioned perfectly.

I did note the right rear of both RPB mags had received some minor contact from the bolt. It's minimal, and I'll check the bolt for anything obvious. Worse case is a tiny bit of filing will easily fix this contact point. It didn't inhibit feeding.

I also discovered the new RPB mags will hold 35 rounds. I loaded 34 and the gun easily stripped the top few rounds and ran with no feeding problems.

All shooting was done with a double feed bolt. I didn't try swapping the double feed bolt with the single feed bolt, so that test will have to wait until next time.

The "generic" 36 round mag chocked every few rounds but I did manage a couple of ten round bursts. All malfunctions were the same nose up jams at the top of the chamber I had before. Perhaps bending the feed lips together at the front may make a difference?

Quality isn't cheap, but so far I'm very pleased with the new RPB mags.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Awesome news!!!! I will order some shortly also!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    I managed a brief test fire tonight of my 9mm conversion kit. The RPB mags ran perfectly using three different kinds of factory ammo! these included Winchester White Box bulk 115 gain, Federal 124 grain, and a box of 115 grain Silver Bear I found hiding in an ammo can. I tried Winchester 147 grain truncated nose, but it failed to feed which honestly didn't surprise me. It was getting dark and the Silver Bear was throwing sparks from the muzzle a good ten feet. It was like having sparklers on the 4th of July. I don't know where i got this ammo, but it sure ran great.

Additionally I added my suppressor to the gun to see if it made a difference. It didn't, and the RPB mags functioned perfectly.

I did note the right rear of both RPB mags had received some minor contact from the bolt. It's minimal, and I'll check the bolt for anything obvious. Worse case is a tiny bit of filing will easily fix this contact point. It didn't inhibit feeding.

I also discovered the new RPB mags will hold 35 rounds. I loaded 34 and the gun easily stripped the top few rounds and ran with no feeding problems.

All shooting was done with a double feed bolt. I didn't try swapping the double feed bolt with the single feed bolt, so that test will have to wait until next time.

The "generic" 36 round mag chocked every few rounds but I did manage a couple of ten round bursts. All malfunctions were the same nose up jams at the top of the chamber I had before. Perhaps bending the feed lips together at the front may make a difference?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.-Ronald Reagan

My RBP mags arrived from FTF Industries today. For those of you who've been around for a while, you'll remember the lousy service and slow shipping this company was once known for. Over the last year or so, they seem to have seriously turned things around. I couldn't be happier with the five dollar USPS Priority Mail shipping that occurred the same day I placed my order. Two thumbs up!

The mags are all steel to include the followers and have a nice, smooth finish. If I have any complaints, its that they are made from a light gauge steel, but that wont matter if they run well. It'll be a couple 'o three days before I can actually try them with the rest of my conversion kit.

Unknown M-10/9 clone mag with plastic follower on the left, RPB mag on the right.
    Yeah those ones on the left are cheapo Suomi ish knockoffs.

Let us know how the rpbs work

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LawBob View Post
    Let us know how the rpbs work
    I thought I did?
    I managed a brief test fire tonight of my 9mm conversion kit. The RPB mags ran perfectly using three different kinds of factory ammo!...

...Quality isn't cheap, but so far I'm very pleased with the new RPB mags.

Look for nice weather.
    Highs right at 100, and 76 degrees for overnight lows. Single digit humidity.

Are you coming for the EDC? Enjoy your trip!
    I had a bunch of buddies going to EDC and wanted to try to buy some cheap tickets Sunday but my other friend chickened out, said it looked too intense for him. Awesome weather this weekend.

Made $1000 on the craps table (pass line and taking the odds), free drinks everywhere, HOT basically naked chicks for EDC every where, picture with Stevo from jackass. I love Vegas vacations.

Looks like I need to purchase some mags, magazine adapted, and a 9mm Upper.

Do you remember where you got your Cobray marked magwell adpater? I hope not cobray.com...

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to our fair city. The weather was windy but relatively cool by Las Vegas summer standards. We'll be at 117 or more this weekend.

For those unfamiliar with EDC... We weren't referring Every Day Carry, but rather 350,000+ people celebrating life at the Electric Daisy Carnival.
    http://electricdaisycarnival.com/

I haven't ordered anything from Cobray.com in over a decade, but Sweet Johnny placed my order along with other parts he needed. Yep, the magwell adapter came from Cobay. http://www.cobray.com/ShoppingCart.aspx

USMachinegun also carries the adapter. It looks identical, but I can't say if they're exactly the same.
    http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddeta...prod=M10U-0109

The total 9mm conversion price seems high, but remember that I put my kit together a piece at a time and I bought a used upper and bolt. The RPB mags were the last piece of the 9mm conversion, and I'm very happy with my results.

Vegas, does this look like the same magazine well adapter?

http://www.ftfindustries.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=MCAC

Comparing it to the ones above it seems different.

I would trade this humid MD summer for that dry Vegas weather any day.

UZI Talk Life Member
    It looks the same, just a top view that doesn't show all the details. The adapter inserts from the top and there are small tabs that prevent over insertion into the magwell. The upper most portion is the double feed mag ramp. This is the area that may need some minor tweaking... Maybe. Watch for consistent right or left side feeding issues and bend in on that side of the ramp to fix.

Buy a price or two here and there to minimize the pain. I still need to remove a small amount of material from my two mags. Right now with daily highs over 110 and bernight lows in ge 90s, it's just too fricken' hot to get out and shoot. Dry heat my ass.

Trust me, I walked all the way down the strip in the middle of the day when it was 108. Didn't even really sweat. As soon as I got to MD I was sweating in the shade. Soooo humid and nasty.

FTF industries is only $35, might order a 9mm mag catch from them if they have it. I heard there can be problems using a .45 mag catch.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Mark at MLR has NOS 9mm catches. He's a heck of a nice guy and deserves your consideration. http://www.mlrdistributing.com/main.sc

UZI Talk Supporter
    An update from my earlier post. I had bulged the barrel in my 9mm conversion so I had not shot it in quite a while. After reading this thread I replaced the barrel and started to shoot it again. I fired it in my back yard a few times suppressed and it ran without any problems. I went to a shoot recently and a friend asked me to bring it because he had never fired a MAC before.

I took the MAC with the 9mm conversion in it and 2 original Walther mags and 2 of Russell's RPB mags. The friend was shooting the MAC most of the day firing several hundred rounds. He said that there no stoppages at all.

The MAC is a 1970s PS .45 cal converted to 9mm with a conversion kit.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferndog1 View Post
    ...The MAC is a 1970s PS .45 cal converted to 9mm with a conversion kit.
    Same gun I'm running. I'm using an OEM style double feed bolt but I'm told a single feed will function fine. I have a SF 9mm bolt and it's on my list of things to try... When it cools off.

Frank; Did you install the 9mm magazine catch and are you using a single I double feed bolt?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Hi Tom,

I'm using the original .45 mag catch and a double-feed bolt. I asked the guy how many rounds he put through it, he said 400 9mm Winchester white box, using all 4 mags, it ran without a single stoppage all day.

Same gun I'm running. I'm using an OEM style double feed bolt but I'm told a single feed will function fine. I have a SF 9mm bolt and it's on my list of things to try... When it cools off.

Frank; Did you install the 9mm magazine catch and are you using a single I double feed bolt?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks Frank.
    I'm trying to document what does and does not work when converting the M-10 from .45 to 9mm. That's very interesting and useful information, and is one more thing I'd like to try with my conversion. I think other M-10/45 owners interested a 9mm conversion will appreciate the information baseline we've established.

+ Reply to Thread