UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galil Modifications

Galil Modifications

Hello,

Does anyone know of a recoil pad for the traditional Galil skeleton stock? I know it is only a 5.56 but I have a bum shoulder.

Also, has anyone ever seen a krebs type safety lever on a Galil? I am considering a solar tactical extended selector tab.

Thanks

Lou,

Occasionally a .308 folding stock will come up for sale. This already has a rubber butt pad on it. This of course will be the most expensive solution, but it will keep your rifle looking like a stock Galil. Here are some pictures as a reference.
    Attached Images      

Lou,
    Sorry if I get long winded on my replies. I just want to help.

Here is another option: The Colombian's made a poly stock that has a rubber pad on it. These do come up more often for sale and are not as expensive as the alloy .308 IMI Galil stocks. Here are pictures of this stock so you can familiarize yourself with what it looks like.
    Attached Images    

Lou,

A 3rd option is to buy a South African R-4/5/6 Series stock. Here as of late the market has been flooded with these stocks. Many have cracked butt ends from the removal process so you can actually get them cheap. You can fix these by grinding down the poly end and adding a ACE Skeleton Stock butt pad. They have 2 sizes. I can't find it right now but I did a how to thread on this process. As soon a I find it I will post it here.

Here is the thread: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...ock&highlight=
    Last edited by lcastillo; 11-25-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add link

Lou,

One more thing. If you want to modify your safety lever. I recommend you get in touch with member GARY. He is always doing modifications on his Galil's and is the only one with "Big Huevos" here to try anything new on a Galil rifle here is a thread on some of his work http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...n-Their-Galils on here he has a larger safety selector. Hope this helps. Lou

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lcastillo View Post
    Lou,

One more thing. If you want to modify your safety lever. I recommend you get in touch with member GARY. He is always doing modifications on his Galil's and is the only one with "Big Huevos" here to try anything new on a Galil rifle here is a thread on some of his work http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...n-Their-Galils on here he has a larger safety selector. Hope this helps. Lou
    Well that's a mighty humbling recommendation coming from you lcastillo. I am flattered.

To Lou the Jew: As lcastillo pointed out, the only Galil rear stock with a buttpad, is the one for the .308 Galil (but I haven't performed any indepth research on this topic; I tip my hat to lcastillo's knowledge base). BUT, were I to travel down this road, currently I can think of two routes I might take. 1) Adapt an ACE Ltd. modular stock to work with my Galil stock's folding mechanism (http://riflestocks.com/store/page3.html), or 2) mill or file down so that its completely flat, the Galil's existing buttplate and drill and tap two holes (or otherwise epoxy into place) an ACE Ltd. recoil pad, which can be had in two different thicknesses (you'd likely be interested in the 1" thickness due to your recoil sensitivity). http://riflestocks.com/store/page3.html Or you could perform some sort of combination of the two options.

Regarding the Krebs type safety lever. . . I've personally never seen an extended or modified safety lever on a Galil rifle (which isn't saying very much, since I haven't seen very many Galils) since Galils additionally have the thumb operated fire selector lever located on the grip's left side. But having stated that, if one has within their personal firearms collection several AKs and/or if one was predispositioned to operate their Galils fire selector lever using the long AK throw lever (likely due to their battle drills with their AKs). . . then I can absolutely see why attaching an extended finger tab would be desirable. I happened across this youtube video of a guy that attached the Solar Tactical Enhanced Safety Selector Tab using bolts rather than the crush rivets that come with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkZBphrj7jo#t=222

Lastly, you might consider giving Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms a telephone call and picking his brain over this. I'm sure Jeff has a wealth of experience performing these very mods at customers' requests. He can be reached at: (931) 488-1267.

Wish you luck bro!

~Gary

Hello guys, I just came off a hellacious stretch of days and want to thank you both for responding. Castillo, you are a big help and I appreciate your knowledge/expertise on the subject. Between the ideas you and Gary have given me, I think I am going to go broke next year. I am also working on 2 AK's (7.62/5.56), Saiga 12 and FAL. I also have my duty weapons to maintain and upgrade in the process.

Dang it, I am going to be very creative when sweet talking my wife into letting my pay for that KSG.

BTW Lou, you got any of those stocks for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou the Jew View Post
    Hello guys, I just came off a hellacious stretch of days and want to thank you both for responding. Castillo, you are a big help and I appreciate your knowledge/expertise on the subject. Between the ideas you and Gary have given me, I think I am going to go broke next year. I am also working on 2 AK's (7.62/5.56), Saiga 12 and FAL. I also have my duty weapons to maintain and upgrade in the process.

Dang it, I am going to be very creative when sweet talking my wife into letting my pay for that KSG.

BTW Lou, you got any of those stocks for sale?
    Lou, Are you asking about the South Africa R-Series stocks? Gary as always good to hear from you brother. Lou

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would imagine the polymer stocks save quite a bit of weight as well. Where do you get the Indumil stocks?
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    I would imagine the polymer stocks save quite a bit of weight as well. Where do you get the Indumil stocks?
    Riderboy, The UNDUMIL stock still has a steel skeleton sub-frame under the polymer skin like the South African R-Stock. C'mon man! A soldier still has to be able to crack a skull open with his rifle butt if needed

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcastillo View Post
    Riderboy, The UNDUMIL stock still has a steel skeleton sub-frame under the polymer skin like the South African R-Stock. C'mon man! A soldier still has to be able to crack a skull open with his rifle butt if needed
    Damn. I had high hopes!
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

So Lou, where are the Indumil stocks available? I bought one three years ago from Blackthorne for $125, but they are long gone. They do require some fitting on Galils.
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 11-28-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Castillo, do you have one of those South African R-4/5/6 Series stock's available or know where to find them? Do you know their price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    So Lou, where are the Indumil stocks available? I bought one three years ago from Blackthorne for $125, but they are long gone. They do require some fitting on Galils.
    Sidewinder, yes the stock does take a little fitting. I heard it is better sand down the tubes to get them to fit onto the knuckle. It should be a tight and have a snug fit (not like throwing a hot dog down a hallway) and not loose! I'll tell you what from personal experience, I found it a lot harder to remove the R4 stock from the knuckles than it is to assemble them. These where glued on at the factory and that is why many have broken or missing pads. No doubt the breakage occurred while they where de-milling these stocks to replace them with new ones. These stocks are tough enough to be serviceable and live another life time with a new butt pad.
    Last edited by lcastillo; 12-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou the Jew View Post
    Castillo, do you have one of those South African R-4/5/6 Series stock's available or know where to find them? Do you know their price range?
    Lou the Jew sorry for the delay, I am checking my source for R4 stocks. He sells them with or without the knuckle on the stock. My best advice is to get one with the knuckle, unless you plan to cut down the length on the R4 stock. I am waiting to hear back from him and pm you about price and availability. Lou (big guy with the little name)

+ Reply to Thread