UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What permit/license is required, to buy Uzi?

What permit/license is required, to buy Uzi?

Ok, have'nt had a talk yet with the gun shop guy and I'm not in the gun circles. Aside from the one Ban being over, what do you need to have, like permits etc. to purchase an Uzi (mini or micro) or like sized gun?? I'm civilian, not police or military and live in Michigan. Thanks for any info,

UZI Talk Life Member

UZI Talk Life Member

Re: What permit/license is required, to buy Uzi?

Originally posted by northOf8
    Ok, have'nt had a talk yet with the gun shop guy and I'm not in the gun circles. Aside from the one Ban being over, what do you need to have, like permits etc. to purchase an Uzi (mini or micro) or like sized gun?? I'm civilian, not police or military and live in Michigan. Thanks for any info,
    First of all, welcome to our forum. The links provided above should get you off to a good start on the legalities.

A few questions if you don't mind? Do you own guns and are you already experienced in the requirements for owning a rifle or handgun where you live?

I'm assuming, you're talking about a semi-auto carbine, not a SMG, correct?

UZI Talk Life Member

Be careful out there!

northOf8:

If you're new to 'gun circles' you will need to carefully study the legalities because our sport has a lot of high voltage guardrails and a few hidden land mines. If you do your homework, you can comply with state & federal laws. Some are purposefully designed to trip you up and scare you away. You just need to be careful.

At risk of being overly dramatic I would like to provide an example composited from real events in recent years:

Let's say I buy a legal semi-auto Uzi carbine from my gunsmith friend Fred. He legally built this gun on a serialized receiver using commercially available parts to complete it. So far, so good.

Fred is a big guy and he made a long, custom wood stock for this gun. The stock just doesn't feel very comfortable to me, so when I see a shorter wood stock at the gun show, I buy it and put it on the gun.

A year later, I've got some expenses and decide to sell the Uzi at the gun show. Along comes Mr. Smith, a preorgasmic gun fondler that wants to buy my gun really bad. I show it to him and he looks it over in detail as he asks the usual questions typical of a knowledgeable buyer. He seems to really know a lot about Uzis. He should. His real name is Hugo Weaving, undercover agent with the ATF.

A week later several agents show up at my employer. In front of my coworkers, I'm arrested, handcuffed, and Mirandized for committing a federal felony. The following day, the ATF holds a press conference touting Operation Matrix, a major sting operation to rid the "streets" of illegal weapons being sold at gun shows around the state.

To great fanfare, they announce arrests of several individuals for selling illegal imported assault weapons. On the table, with all the other "ugly" guns, is my little Uzi carbine. The local TV stations cover the news conference with obligatory cuts to footage of the 1997 North Hollywood Bank of America robbery complete with machineguns and mayhem. Off screen, some dufus reporter regurgitates a VPC press release in the voice over. Back to live Dufus, then cut to my booking picture. A few words from a sleazy anti-gun prosecutor and then break for a sweeps week commercial promoting the "fair and balanced" newscast. Back to the Ken & Barbie anchors who make a swipe at Bush, the Republicans and how they let the Assault Weapon Ban expire. Now on to the story of the lady with 300 cats.

Now I get to rot in oblivion. My job is lost, my defense lawyer saps my financial resources and I begin to contemplate my ten year stint in the federal slammer without hope for parole.

You gotta be kidding, right? Wrong. See, there's this incredibly stupid law foisted upon us by the gun gabbers that says a non-sporting firearm can have no more than ten foreign-made parts. An Uzi carbine is legally a non-sporting firearm - despite the fact we all consider our time at the range a very enjoyable sport.

It seems Fred had ten foreign-made parts in that Uzi I bought. My Israeli-made stock makes eleven. I stepped in some big time poop that may keep me incarcerated longer than the average murderer. I inadvertently committed a henious violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(r) - one of the 20,000 gun laws on the books that didn't sunset on 13 Sep 2004.

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying the firearm you want. I will caution you to be careful what you do with it and to it.

So..... that said, buy a Uzi from Vector with the Michigan length barrel (18" IIRC).
    Last edited by MuzzleFlash; 09-23-2004 at 12:02 PM.
    "Tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people.... The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision... Assuming you can never lose your freedom, is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    --Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court in Silviera v. Lockyer

UZI Talk Life Member
    Only thing that has prevented me from owning a FA is the cost, wish I was born 10 years earlier.

I believe Michigan is a C&R only state. .........I'd move!

UZI Talk Life Member
    It is. I assumed he was looking for a SA.

Originally posted by MuzzleFlash
    It is. I assumed he was looking for a SA.
    ------------
    Understood. I assumed he wanted a select fire.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Originally posted by tommygun2000
    ------------
    Understood. I assumed he wanted a select fire.
    Just to be clear for the new guy....

Michigan is a Curios and Relics state....That means if you were looking to buy a full auto submachingun (Uzi) you would not be able to. (basically if I am not mistaken Uzis are not on the C&R list)

In Michigan the only full autos allowed are C&R. That means they are on an ATFs Curios and Relics list. Mostly guns that are at least 50 years old.

Now if you are talking about getting a semi auto, Vector arms has a nice selection of ones. I would give them a call and talk to your local gun store to see what they would charge to have it sent to them, so you could pick it up from them. (Vector needs to send it to a Licensed dealer.)

http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html

BTW welcome and ask away any more questions.....

If he is talking Title I guns, wouldn't his FFL be the best guy to ask? I thought FFL's had to be up on the local laws as well as the federal laws.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Originally posted by Omega Man
    If he is talking Title I guns, wouldn't his FFL be the best guy to ask? I thought FFL's had to be up on the local laws as well as the federal laws.
    Its pretty bad when you realize most people don't have a dealer. Some one you can give a quick call to and tell them I got another one coming your way!!!!

Thanks for the welcome, and he's a she Glad to of found this forum and a few others.. I own a 20 gauge shotgun to protect the house, no permit was needed, and have my deceased father's .38 s&w revolver- it's just kept in a case. I've had a general interest in guns over the years but don't hunt- have fired a friend's .357 mag and 44 mag. I'm more interested in the Uzi as home/personal protection than collecting or time at the outdoor range. I have no idea if I can hold and fire one but the uzi mini look's a nice size, for me anyway. Since I have not had the opp to handle an uzi or similar gun yet, I'm trying to get the legal info first to see if I can pursue it, no point in wanting a gun you can't own..I hope to find out this week, then we'll see.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Holding or firing one is pretty easy... If you can handle a .357 you should have no problem....

The biggest problem you may encounter (and this has been brought up quite a few times) Is if you ever had to use it in a self defense roll....The press would say you used an evil high capacity UZI machine gun!!!! Even though it was a semi auto and you were in the right.....Just because the name UZI is on it it already puts you behind the 8 ball with the press....

Don't want to seem like I am knocking your purchase...Just letting you know what you may run into....

Well I guess it's Not legal to own any size uzi, except the pistol, here. Was very interested in the mini uzi but...I called around and checked on line for the pistol, and came across a new MPA m10 in 9mm, also a Pistol, and decided to take it- seemed a good buy at under $400. not including trans. and shpng. (new..) so I'm hoping someday they will change the laws, to permit the other uzi's in my state.

Mini

People above may have overly discouraged you. The advice is mixed between full autos and semi-autos.

Re:Full-autos, I believe you can only own Curios & Relics in Michigan. Generally those are over 50 years old.

Re: Semi-autos, I think you are OK with Full-size (not full-auto) or Mini Uzis, but I believe Michigan is one of the states that measures length of firearms with the stock folded, so you need an 18" barrel on a full-size uzi. You can get those from Bushmaster.com. You do not have this problem on a Mini because the standard barrel on a semiauto is already 19.75".

If you are allowed SBR's (Short Barrel Rifles) in Michigan, Semiauto Minis are great choices. This requires approval from the BATF and a $200 tax. There is some info on this in the reference section of Uzitalk under Legal, etc. Then you can put a barrel around 7.5" on a Mini and have an overall length of around 13".

Look at the Vectorarms.com website for full-size and Mini semiauto Uzis. You can buy directly from them, shipped to a dealer in your state.

The MPA you bought is semiauto. They are well-built and reliable, but not nearly as much fun as Uzis.

+ Reply to Thread