47 45.63%
  • Max31

56 54.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max11 VS Max31

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    I have both (MAX-11 and MAX-31) and enjoy them... but if I could only have one, it would be the MAX-31...
    ^ My sentiments exactly, and I voted MAX-31.

If you really want a fair opinion poll, I believe only people who own both Lage platforms should weigh in and vote. Each upper has it's own upside and downside. Clearly the correct answer is to buy both.

As far as the .22LR Lage conversion kit, I opted for the M-11/22 to take advantage of owning a full auto, pistol sized, .22LR hand gun. That alone is very cool and I have no regrets.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

I would say Max31, I have had both but the only time the Sheriffs Dept showed up was when I dumped a 71rd drum. They asked if they could shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by robertmcm View Post
    Need some z mags with some Suomi tabs on them Marty! I like my Max 31 with the coffin mags, but those are impractical to stock up on these days.
    X2

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmcm View Post
    Need some z mags with some Suomi tabs on them
    For me personally, I'm happy with the Sten mag conversion, but if there was enough interest, I could modify the Sten mag tab design and have the machineshop make a run of Suomi conversion tabs designed to fit zMags.
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG View Post
    As far as the .22LR Lage conversion kit, I opted for the M-11/22 to take advantage of owning a full auto, pistol sized, .22LR hand gun. That alone is very cool and I have no regrets.
    ^ Same here! I use it in a separate side-cocking MPA upper that Richard aligned for me (along with the factory M11/9 upper) when I bought the kit from him.
    Now hosting: www.MAC-11.info

The only problem using Lage uppers with the stock upper (on the same lower) is you pretty much have to change stocks to have any cheek weld, or ability to see the sights.
    Last edited by ChuckB; 06-02-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarity

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atakk View Post
    I would say Max31, I have had both but the only time the Sheriffs Dept showed up was when I dumped a 71rd drum. They asked if they could shoot it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
    The only problem using Lage uppers with the stock upper (on the same lower) is you pretty much have to change stocks to have any cheek weld, or ability to see the sights.
    Quick change stocks
    Signature

UZI Talk Supporter

No best one...that M11/9 is like a AR....set it up like you want. Trigger sucks.....but Mr. Lage has really refined the basic platform. Having Marty develop a decent mag is a huge plus. Drums are great but heavy..even empty....but very good for competition. I am really liking the Lage folding metal (low profile) stock. Just pick the one you like the most...looks wise...most sub guns shoot very similar.

Thanks for the input, guys. I have a bit to think about it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
    For me personally, I'm happy with the Sten mag conversion, but if there was enough interest, I could modify the Sten mag tab design and have the machineshop make a run of Suomi conversion tabs designed to fit zMags.
    We will (eventually) get back to the ZMAG-S project. (Hopefully later this summer.) We have to change the feed angle from 8 degrees to essentially 0 degrees for them to work in the MAX-31, MAX-31A, and any other guns that accept Suomi mags.

Kind of a tough one. Of course, the correct answer is "buy both", which I did eventually. (Keep in mind, I paid more for each of the uppers than I did for the M11/9. Those were the days). I held off getting a MAX-11 because I already had a TASK-style slowfire M11 setup that worked very well. When the MAX-31 was introduced, people started dumping their MAX-11s and I picked up a used one at a decent price.

More recently I bought a MAX-31, primarily for the drum mag advantage at subgun matches like Knob Creek. This was shortly before the 30-round rule was instituted for all but "unlimited" class. Story of my life - a day late and a dollar short.

That being said, I still really like the MAX-31. It is kind of heavy, especially with a full drum hanging way out there. But it's great having a big drum on tap. For the matches that don't have a mag restriction, they're great. I have a couple of Beta Mags for the Uzi, but they are so big and awkward, they are difficult to use effectively. They work best if you start the stage with a Beta, and then switch to stick mags afterward. It's easier to carry four Soumi drums than to carry two Beta Mags.

If I'm shooting a match with mag limits, I'll run the MAX-11. It balances better for me, and reloads are faster and more natural. For a match with no mag limits, I'll take the MAX-31.

OTOH, for general blasting, I get less gas blowback when shooting suppressed on the MAX-31 vs. any setup that feeds mags through the grip. Probably because the chamber is so much farther away from my face.

So it gets back to what you want to do with it.

Well I ended up getting on the list for the max-11K. Shockwaves are the next order of business

UZI Talk Life Member
    I know you'll be happy with the MAX-11K. If you get bored or want to add a new dimension, buy the MAX-31.
    Personal preferences aside, you can't go wrong with either upper.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty in UT View Post
    I voted for the MAX-11 and ZMAGs. But I might be biased.

That said, the MAX-31A I have is awesome beyond words.

Marty
    i chose Max-11 because the #1 reason i bought the Max-31 is to have more reliable mags instead of having a jam-o-matic. since the Zmags came out.. and since its pulling teeth to get Coffins, i only use the max -11 anymore.

I'm stuck on silly with the Max-11 because of the Sten mags I have and also the Lanchester mags.

Rooting out the bad ones. They work well now.

UZI Talk Instigator
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Been away from shooting for some time now due to medical issues. I'm wondering if the 50 round ZMAGS used with the MAX-11/9 have mitigated the drum advantage of the MAX-31 somewhat? When I shot the prototype MAX-31 upper a few years back I was enthusiastic about it when used with the coffin mags, not so much with the drums due to grip ergonomics. It also seemed that mag changes were not going to be as fast on the MAX-31 as they are on the MAX-11/9.

Something I noted about shooting the MAX-31 prototype which I haven't seen anyone mention in the threads was the reduced muzzle flip of the MAX-31 over the MAX-11/9. It seemed to me to be noticeably easier to maintain a better sight picture and tighter shooting group with the heavier upper. That seemed like it was where the real advantage of the MAX-31 over the MAX-11/9 in competition would be noticed. Has anyone who owns both uppers noted this difference? Perhaps the production model is lighter than the prototype so it's not as pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by yzfchet View Post
    I'm wondering if the 50 round ZMAGS used with the MAX-11/9 have mitigated the drum advantage of the MAX-31 somewhat?... It also seemed that mag changes were not going to be as fast on the MAX-31 as they are on the MAX-11/9.

Something I noted about shooting the MAX-31 prototype which I haven't seen anyone mention in the threads was the reduced muzzle flip of the MAX-31 over the MAX-11/9. It seemed to me to be noticeably easier to maintain a better sight picture and tighter shooting group with the heavier upper.
    I have the MK I version of both uppers. As always, the advantage is going to come down to course design. A person could design a stage where 50 rounds wouldn't quite get it done. Or a person could design one that pretty well negates the advantage of the extra rounds.

Some matches still have a 30-round mag limit, such as the Michigan State match which is taking place in a week or so. For that one I'm planning to shoot the MAX-11 in one or both classes (maybe the Uzi in one class, but ergonomics are pretty similar).

But the advantage of another 20-some rounds is hard to overlook when it's available. You still can't be sloppy and expect to finish well, but it will make up for a small error that would have otherwise cost you an extra reload.

Now that there are mag limits on most of the classes at Knob Creek, I plan to shoot the MAX-11 or Uzi in the mag limited classes, and use the MAX-31 or Beta Mags in the Unlimited class.

I find the MAX-11 is controllable enough that any advantage from shooting the more muzzle-heavy MAX-31 is offset by the less ideal ergonomics, reaching around the drum.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I like the max 31 upper over the max 11

My favorite upper is actually the U.S. Machinegun side cocker with a suppressor! Love that high speed and I have a red dot sight on top

UZI Talk Life Member
    I had an original max31 and wound up selling it.
    I felt like its a smg.....not a rifle size machine gun shooting a pistol caliber. regardless of being able to shoot drums.
    a rifle size upper shooting a rifle caliber bullet (max 11/15) yes....but in a pistol caliber....I wanted to be small, the way it was designed.

+ Reply to Thread