UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: FA AK-47: what to look for?

FA AK-47: what to look for?

Greetings--

I'm in the "early phase" of considering acquiring a full-auto AK-47. Would
    like to learn a little about what to look for in a transferrable.

To start off-- I understand that there are only a few true military AK47's
    in the registry (? less than 10?). So, what I'll be looking at is one of the
    "semi" guns that was converted prior to 1986; e.g.,

http://www.davidspiwak.com/guns/bulg...inkov-5-45x39/ (conv. HTA)
    http://dealernfa.com/shop/maddi-egyp...llent-s000965/

My "ideal" gun would be one that takes drop-in parts from one of the many
    parts kits that are available on the market today. So... what builders
    should I look for? avoid? preferable conversion guns? etc.

Input appreciated!

SM

AKs are a different animal. Find one and ask specific questions about it, there are so many conversions out there. But the conversions are "easy" and any of them should take any military parts.

From my extremely limited knowledge you want a registered receiver, and not an registered sear married to a receiver.

Subtle difference, but one requires you to repair the same sear as it wears, the other allows you to use all the unused sears floating around from parts kits.

I think the reason there are so few "real" AK's is that they had to come in before 1968, probably came off a dead foreign soldier, before being smuggled back and amnesty registered in '68.

Not a FA AK owner, but Pre-86, 7.62x39 ammo was much more expensive than 5.56x45 so there were a number of the converted AKs (folded sheet metal AKMs, generally, not machined AK47s) that also were converted to 5.56 at the same time they were converted to full auto. To be more proper, they have to now be converted back to 7.62. Some conversions were done more carefully than others. In particular, when the receiver was cut at the bottom, the better conversions left a lip, hence a stiffer part, than the conversions without a lip.
    Best of luck, MHO, YMMV, etc.

Anything Fleming would be an ideal conversion to find, Polytech, Norinco are the ones to really look out for (not sure on the others) possibly LaFrance too. I found my Polytech full stock Fleming reg sear gun on Sturm from an out of state dealer earlier this year. But the perfect one to find would be an Amnesty registered real deal obviously but that would set you back close to the price of 2 converted guns though.

Something to consider but not too familiar w Ceiner converted Ak's

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=502604482

And this one too...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=502847675
    Last edited by RMA; 08-24-2015 at 05:47 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have owned SWD and Fleming conversions of poly techs and would recommend either. With a talented gunsmith and the right parts set you can transform your basic transferable Conversion into the AK of your dreams. For me it was the Krinkov and AK105 both in 5.45x39. Otherwise you can leave as is. I view the full stock models as the most flexible to start with if you have any inkling of a build later on.

UZI Talk Supporter
    There were not nearly as many variants of AKs in the US pre-86 as there are now. Basically, SA was Norinco, Polytech, and Maadi. None of the Romys, Bulgys, or American models that are so common now!

If you can find one, get a Vietnam bring back. These are a little harder to find though, and I would never reconfigure one. Otherwise, find a SWD or Fleming conversion. SWD converted quite a few norincos and polytechs. Most of the kits that come in are from FA guns, so you can use those parts, usually. Just pay attention to the trigger hooks. I've seen a lot of guys that completely disassembled their FA ak's and had them converted to go on krink kits, both 7.62 and 5.45. Freaking cool.

What about valmet conversions ? Value an quality same as Chicom?

Quote Originally Posted by HKMP5 View Post
    What about valmet conversions ? Value an quality same as Chicom?
    Value no. Quality yes.

Valmet transferables are the most common and cheapest AK. Valmet in 7.62x39 14-16kish is 75-85% the cost of a Chi-com. 556 Valmet is just over the cost of an FNC, 13-14k-ish. Like the FNC, the Valmet is superb quality. Better than the Chi-com, fit & finish and materials. So why is it cheap? Replacement parts or available parts...

When I had a FA FNC, I bought a spare 4K semi-auto FNC as a just in case "Parts gun". If the FNC bolt takes a crap, which happens. Good luck finding a spare. If you do find a used spare bolt, thats gonna be 700-1k. Valmet is the exact same thing/situation. Say you wanted a spare factory magazine for your Valmet M78? Hmmm $40? $75? Try $650 for a factory 20round mag... Here is a completed auction from last week.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=504802079

So you get the eye deer. Chi-com? My grandma probably has a Type-56 parts kit in her attic. They made millions of them, and you could probably buy spare parts with McDonalds coupons if that's all you had.

UZI Talk Life Member
    past two cattle-guards, at the end of the gravel road
    Have you shot a full auto AK47? Always a good idea to go to a rental range and try before you buy.
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 09-20-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

thanks for the Intel on the valmet I figured there was a reason they were cheaper

UZI Talk Life Member
    One thing I would avoid, and I speak from experience, is one of the Chicom .223 AKs imported by Polytech and converted to 7.62X39 full auto. My experience and those of others on the AK Forum are that a fair number of these were just not done well. Be sure to ask if the rifle started life as a .223 AK and if yes, go elsewhere. Jeff Miller had his hands full doing a makeover on mine, and all turned out well but it was just a lot of aggravation and WTF were these guys doing when they converted it.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    Have you shot a full auto AK47? Always a good idea to go to a rental range and try before you buy.
    Ha ha , yeah they are all over the place. Least controllable FA I've ever fired. That always surprises people.

The AK74 is a vast improvement.

I shot my first full auto AK last week. Yes, of what's available on the full auto market, it's probably one of the least accurate on full auto and it's got some kick, but damn it is fun to shoot. I've heard a lot of people poo pooing them online so I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. I would probably consider getting a transferable one now when I had no interest before.

I shot my FA Polytech for the second time in months just the other night. Ran 125 rounds plus. No jams and ran like a champ. Plenty accuarte at 15-20 yards. Semi, burst and was shocked when doing the last 15-20 rounds in full blast all the rounds were center mass on the paper target.

So did you end up finding your Ak ? My stamp arrived early last month, right around the 5 month wait time.

So did you end up finding your Ak ? My stamp arrived early last month, right around the 5 month wait time.
    Haven't purchased so far, but the "AK Option" remains under consideration.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I can only add that my rather poorly done AK conversion was an SWD. I know this could be an exception, or perhaps just the 5.56 to 7.62 to full auto part was tricky I don't know. Just my experience. On the other hand, my best conversion was a Fleming Galil.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Seems to be anything Fleming touched back in the day was typically correct & just needed a few updates depending on the type of firearm such as the HK stuff for example.

+ Reply to Thread