UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FA AK-47: what to look for?

On the valmet guns, could you use the registered receiver and replace everything else? If you were planning to build a krink out of it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by 100 bullets View Post
    On the valmet guns, could you use the registered receiver and replace everything else? If you were planning to build a krink out of it anyway?
    I was hoping but the two smiths I talked to said it ends up being a hack job and strongly suggested not doing it. Take a look, at the difference in the receivers and you'll see what they are talking about. The height difference in the barrel is noticeable.

UZI Talk Life Member

I shot a few AK's and though they have a big BANG, I didn't find them that enjoyable to shoot. The only gun I cared less about was a HK51. Sure, it made a scene at the range, but that was it. Buy a nice 16 unless you already have one. More popular, more options, LOTS more controllable, and more resale demand IMO.
    John Thedford
    NFA SALES
    http://www.nfasales.com

also site owner and admin for
    http://www.NFAdealers.com
    THE Class III Dealer Online Directory

They certainly do beat you up a bit more so for those that might not be into that, a full auto AK probably would not be their thing. But I enjoy shooting them.

Much less transferrable Ak's out there too vs M16. Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by RMA View Post
    Much less transferrable Ak's out there too vs M16. Just an observation.
    That's because back in the pre-1986 days, an AK was a $200 gun. Who wanted to pay a $200 tax stamp on a $200 gun that shot expensive ammo? Might as well get an M-16.

Quote Originally Posted by johnthedford View Post
    I shot a few AK's and though they have a big BANG, I didn't find them that enjoyable to shoot. The only gun I cared less about was a HK51. Sure, it made a scene at the range, but that was it. Buy a nice 16 unless you already have one. More popular, more options, LOTS more controllable, and more resale demand IMO.
    This is the best advice you'll get. M-16 A2 is the king of machine guns. Never shot a full auto AK, but the semi auto ones kick pretty good. Try one of those. I hear the folders are especially uncomfortable.

My full stock Fleming FA is very controllable & enjoyable to shoot, I never fired an underfolder but did try out a FA Krink that was a little uncomfortable to shoot. Now the 51 is a different story...lol. And certainly does make a scene at any range.

UZI Talk Supporter

If you can find one in good condition for a reasonable price (a BIG if, I realize), an amnesty-registered military bringback would be nice. Here's a 1963 Soviet AK in great shape that I fired in Afghanistan. It feels very primitive compared to an M16 variant - the sights are coarse and tend to blur in full auto, but although recoil is noticeably higher than with an M16, I didn't find it to be excessive. I enjoyed shooting AKs in full auto very much. By leaning into it, I had pretty good control (see target in last photo - all shots were fired in full auto using short bursts).

Quote Originally Posted by damcv62 View Post
    I was hoping but the two smiths I talked to said it ends up being a hack job and strongly suggested not doing it. Take a look, at the difference in the receivers and you'll see what they are talking about. The height difference in the barrel is noticeable.
    I looked, and you are correct the valmet and ak receivers are noticeably different. Would it be possible to buy a valmet and rebuild with a galil parts kit, or are galils just as difficult on replacement parts and you would be in same boat?

UZI Talk Life Member
    C'mon ladies! I have a full auto AK underfolder and it's great! It's very cool and it goes bang when I pull the trigger, no thanks to SWD.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

UZI Talk Supporter

The only full auto folding stock AK variant I've fired is an AMD-65. I like to shoot all kinds of guns (although .357 magnums in snubnose revolvers are becoming less enjoyable for me every year), but found I can shoot the wooden stock variants more accurately and comfortably in full auto. What did you have to do to get your SWD AK working properly?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyEngineer View Post
    The only full auto folding stock AK variant I've fired is an AMD-65. I like to shoot all kinds of guns (although .357 magnums in snubnose revolvers are becoming less enjoyable for me every year), but found I can shoot the wooden stock variants more accurately and comfortably in full auto. What did you have to do to get your SWD AK working properly?
    That would be a question better posed to Jeff Miller who did the work. All I got was a cussing every now and then for about a year and a half about why I bought the POS! Runs great now, but honestly, it was only because of him.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

UZI Talk Supporter

I'm glad you were eventually able to get it sorted out. They are great weapons when set up properly. I only personally own a semi-auto AK, but enjoy shooting it frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by 100 bullets View Post
    I looked, and you are correct the valmet and ak receivers are noticeably different. Would it be possible to buy a valmet and rebuild with a galil parts kit, or are galils just as difficult on replacement parts and you would be in same boat?
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I honestly don't know. I didn't ask the smiths, I'd guess a galil could be fun. I also thought about buying a Polish beryl kit and having one built into that. But same boat with the valmet not having the same barrel height.

This is the best advice you'll get. M-16 A2 is the king of machine guns. Never shot a full auto AK, but the semi auto ones kick pretty good. Try one of those. I hear the folders are especially uncomfortable.
    Thanks for all the replies. I ended up not making the 41F deadline on
    buying an AK, so it'll have to be a "bucket list" item for the time being...
    I passed on at least 1 true Vietnam bring back (~$40K for that one). And,
    Ruben had one sitting on his site unsold for a few months at $26K, looks
    like it must have just sold.

No doubt, the M16 is a vastly superior "shooter," but I'm good there... may
    look for a true belt-fed next.

Thanks again!

So still haven't purchased my FA AK yet, any thoughts on this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/713871086

I think he's a tad high, and note this gun has been sitting on Gunbroker
    without bids for at least a couple of months... I also think this package was
    initially offered on Sturm or Subguns...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    So still haven't purchased my FA AK yet, any thoughts on this one?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/713871086
    I think he's a tad high, and note this gun has been sitting on Gunbroker
    without bids for at least a couple of months... I also think this package was
    initially offered on Sturm or Subguns...
    Who did the conversion? Get pics of how the sear trip goes through the bolt rail. Is the rail slotted as it should be, or is the full rail milled out to fit the sear trip?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MG34_Dan View Post
    Who did the conversion? Get pics of how the sear trip goes through the bolt rail. Is the rail slotted as it should be, or is the full rail milled out to fit the sear trip?
    Yes. It says "Polytech conversion" was it a 5.56 or 7.62x39. I had a 5.56 semi-auto Polytech that had been converted to 7.62x39 full auto and it was a mess. Only a gifted gunsmith was able to save it. I found out after I bought it that a lot of those 5.56 Polytechs that were converted like mine had major problems.

I always thought the "Urbach" conversions were said to be desirable.

Below are a couple of detail shots from the seller showing the internal rails; I think
    they're "legit," but would like to hear what others think...

Also, a couple more AK options on 'Subguns' right now, but both in the $30K's... is
    that where the market's at? (presumably not as the Krink I've asked about is just sitting,
    and it's the cheapest of the lot and includes a bunch of accessories)

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval
    Attached Images    

+ Reply to Thread