UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To what extent can Jeff remark a receiver?

To what extent can Jeff remark a receiver?

This question pertains to a Galil Sporter GFCC. Can the importer markings be removed (or at least the obscenely large markings) and have Hebrew markings applied?

UZI Talk Life Member
    You probably had better call, or email, Jeff on that one.
    He's doing the IDF seal, and Hebrew markings on mine, but I don't know if he's legally allowed to remove the importer markings.

Jeff@hillbillyfirearms.com
    What AresShrike said.

To cover up the importer (If Legal ) would be a added cost. The 2 Galil's he has built for me, have all IMI markings.

snipertn

UZI Talk Supporter

I *think* you can relocate the markings to somewhere less obtrusive w/ prior batf approval... Could be wrong, but I believe that's correct.

I *think* jeff relocates serial numbers on r4 builds on cncw receivers to do the lightening cuts, so I would think manufacturer markings would fall under similar constraints/requirements...

On a Non-NFA firearm the only marking that cannot be "altered" is the serial number itself. All other markings can be removed, moved, or changed.

The problem you will have is that by removing the original importer markings, you end up devaluing the entire gun.

Collectors (in general) and interested parties don't typically want custom or bubba'd rifles even if the modifications are legitimate improvements or what we might consider to be aesthetically pleasing.

Because you have an original pre-94 Mossberg "billboard" receiver, any removal of the original markings will no doubt hurt the premium these Israeli receivers command... it's going to be difficult proving that the receiver isn't a USA piece when all the original markings and indicators are scrubbed/moved.

I'd strongly recommend that you don't mess with the receiver.

Thanks for the replies. I'll take them into consideration for sure.

Jeff won't weld over your receiver. The biggest reason is that your receiver will warp, thus making it useless. It will also change the hardness of the receiver.

As far as the other markings, he can do them but you need to contact him on that matter.

snipertn

Century firearms got sued when they first put "Galil" on the early golani builds.

Century firearms got sued; when they first put "Galil" on the receivers of the golani builds.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    On a Non-NFA firearm the only marking that cannot be "altered" is the serial number itself. All other markings can be removed, moved, or changed.
    Correct!
    NFA Firearms: In A World Of Compromise, Some Don't.

I know its an old thread, please bear with me. I’ve got an ATI Galeo barreled receiver on backorder. I’m planning on sending it to Jeff for full assembly to include IDF markings, at least on the left side of the receiver to include the optic mount cut. I already completed his websites build estimate form and still waiting for his reply. Has anyone else had these mods done a current production receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Correct!
    By Federal law, you are correct. Some States are more restrictive on removing markings.

Jeff moved my serial numbers on my CNC Warrior receivers to do the lightning cuts for my R4 and R5 builds. Did a great job. I live here in Iowa no problem. In fact a customer of mine is a retired B.A.T.F. Agent and he said that as long as it is performed by licensed builder you are good. He said they are looking for guns with no serial numbers or if you do it to falsify or hide the origin of the serial number/gun. He said most states follow the Federal guidelines on serial numbers.

Just as a side note, most of the IDF Galil's with Hebrew markings are toward the rear of the receiver (left face/thumb selector side. You should be good on room for markings if you have the scope mount cut made. Unless you are mounting a scope mount for the Galatz sniper style Galil that goes just below the top cover on the same side and are riveted or welded to receiver. Give Jeff a call he can fill you in on all the details and questions. He makes great rifles you will not be disappointed. Not many people out there that specialize in Galil's these days.

you can always mix up some JB weld and "Bondo" over the GALIL SPORTSTER. Then sand and paint it. or convert it to a left side charging handle with a sliding dust cover to hide the markings. But an IMI SPORTSTER receiver is a the real deal.

+ Reply to Thread