UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Khyber pass" AK in .223 possible?

Question "Khyber pass" AK in .223 possible?

Good evening folks,

I am yet again busy with another project, however I need some simple help for which I am being frustrated in my native community. I would like to build a Khyber Pass in .223. So essentially it means the stamped AK with a folding stock with the magazine well for 7.62x39. The only thing holding me back from this project is the prospect of magazines. I have plenty of Galil magazines and I know they fit the 7.62x39 AK magazine well, but would the Galil bolt be able to strip rounds out of the magazine?

The obvious thing would be to put a Galil bolt in an AK, put a loaded magazine in and run the bolt carrier back and forth to see, however I'm ashamed to say I am having trouble locating anyone who will allow me to do so. Would it work?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Even trying the mag and bolt won't be 100% perfect to test it because the chamber for 762x39 is larger than 556. If I were trying this, I'd probably go with a 556 receiver and mags.
    Everyone says 556 Galil mags won't work in 556 AKs, but I haven't tried it.

Would what work? If I'm reading this right, you want to run 5.56 out of a 7.62 AK using a Galil bolt and mags?

A Khyber Pass AK is usually referring to a fixed stock 7.62 AKM that has had the AK74 sidefolder grafted onto it. Apparently the Mujahadeen liked the sidefolder but preferred the 7.62 ammo. Making a .223 version would seem to be defeating the original purpose of the mod! In any event, the easiest way would seem to be to start with a .223 Ak and put a sidefolder on it.

A Khyber is a mix match, hodge podge of different parts. Not necessarily the one Osama had.

You can do it with Galil mags and the bolt will strip them. Just check your angles with a magazine in before riveting a trigger guard or bullet guide. Ive had some where I needed a plate in the TG and some not. Also built one where it required me to use a thinner guide like a M70.

Also Galil mags can be hit and miss at times, always check with at least 3 or 4 handy.

+ Reply to Thread