UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone buy a bakelite 30 round ak mag?

UZI Talk Supporter

anyone buy a bakelite 30 round ak mag?

just saw them for sale on sturm and was considering buying a couple...never seen them before

anyone use them? function well?...what are the condition like on most of these? GB pics look well used on most

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have a bunch of them for the 5.45 x 39 rifles. Milsurp bakelite mags work great.
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

Nothing new they have been around for ever ..Built like tanks they look great ..Most are in very nice shape in fact .. Some of the newer imports have a 10 round wire block in them but it takes like 10 sec to take out

Not cheep but cool to have ..

UZI Talk Supporter
    looks like prices are rising on them, so supply of 7.62x39s must be getting slim.....found them on Aim Surplus and got (3) for $130 shipped.....hoping for variety of makers

ive never seen them before....so its new to me...saw some for $120!!.....and some sold outs for $25.....i enjoy my Mak 90 occasionally, so i figured why not

crazy thing i noticed while researching them today...people collect AK mags....some have 20+ different makes/designs......just found it funny to see a table with every version on it....i collect 20 mags typically for every gun i own......but i dont go for variety, i just go for whatever is factory

some collect Hummels, some AK Mags

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    looks like prices are rising on them, so supply of 7.62x39s must be getting slim.....found them on Aim Surplus and got (3) for $130 shipped.....hoping for variety of makers

ive never seen them before....so its new to me...saw some for $120!!.....and some sold outs for $25.....i enjoy my Mak 90 occasionally, so i figured why not

crazy thing i noticed while researching them today...people collect AK mags....some have 20+ different makes/designs......just found it funny to see a table with every version on it....i collect 20 mags typically for every gun i own......but i dont go for variety, i just go for whatever is factory

some collect Hummels, some AK Mags

As a FYI there are a lot of different molds/factory out there ... Norinco at one point import them ..Heck I have seen very cool Paki ones that had brass not steel on the locking lugs

Yes people like to collect mags ..I do to some ammont ..There is some cool stuff out there ..The AK103 mags are cool the N korean mags very cool ,, and the green Border guard mags that go for 1-2k a pop now .

AIM is a bit high on the normal Bakerlight ..So some shoping around would be needed

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    just saw them for sale on sturm and was considering buying a couple...never seen them before

anyone use them? function well?...what are the condition like on most of these? GB pics look well used on most
    The Russian ones are well made mags with steel lugs and feed lips. The one advantage over steel mags is that they weigh about 1/3 less.

7.62 "Bakelite" mags, interesting story about these and their history.

V/R

UZI Talk Supporter
    mags from aim surplus are mediocre looking

i was expecting higher quality...not horrible, but id call them good

no mixtures...i was hoping for a mixture of manufacturers

UZI Talk Life Member
    Not sure what the story is on this. Ran across these pics a while back.

UZI Talk Supporter
    That did was going Scrooge McDuck on his mags is all. Car style.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yup.
    "For civilians, semi-auto is like sex with your wife. Full auto is like sex at the Playboy mansion. They serve different purposes." -RoverDave
    President & Founder : UZI Shooters of America

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    Not sure what the story is on this. Ran across these pics a while back.

I hate those pictures. They hurt my eyes and break my heart at the same time.
    If you're going to knock a man down...do it so he can't get up.

I have one Tula for 7.62 and one Izhevsk for my 5.45 rifle. I use them often and they work great but I mainly got them for their looks and for taking pics. The rest of my 7.62 mags are all a mixed bag of Russian/Eastern European. The rest of my 74 mags are the later Bulgarian Circle 21's. Hard to go wrong with any commie surplus mags. The only domestically produced AK mag I ever used was a Tapco and I ended up tossing it because the feed lips were not metal reinforced and started screwing up.

+ Reply to Thread