UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Found a Reising in a friends gun cabinet

[IMG]http://Reising4.jpg"[/IMG
    Last edited by opee; 02-01-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: pics

[IMG]C:\Reising.2017\Reising4.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by opee; 02-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Numrich did make guns in the 1980's from old parts. Serial number starts with an 'S' although maybe not all of them. They had barrels so why do a TSMG conversion? Odd. I'm also fairly sure that they had totally different threads but that doesn't mean the barrel or receiver couldn't be re-threaded. Sounds like some one got some parts and decided to make something from them. The Form 4 might have some info towards that.

Name:  Reising4 (633x336).jpg
Views: 510
Size:  118.6 KBName:  Reising3 (471x439) - Copy.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  67.9 KBName:  Reising2.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  55.9 KB

Okay, Finally got these darn pics uploaded for Reising experts to see. I have asked lots of questions and ideas about this gun, but wanted others to see it and then perhaps give some opinion about the gun, its origin, value, what type of barrel is on the gun, what type of compensator, etc?
    Thanks, Opee in TX

Could be a new made barrel, with no fins, fitted for a Thompson Comp.
    Good replacement Reising barrels are not easy to come by, you have to drill the comp to remove it on a Reising, so that may explain the Cutts.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Looks like aside from the barrel it's original gear. I think I have an original barrel if you're looking- I'd have to check what condition it is in. The stock was unfortunately painted.. M50s go from 5-6k and up depending on accessories (the original carry cases seem to carry a premium depending on their condition). The mags are pricey too though I thought I saw that a new batch of the Christie mags is incoming.. or maybe that happened already and they sold out.. in any case the more of those you have the better.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Did you ever get in that safe? What's he going to do with the Suppressors? Did you find the papers?

It's like a treasure hunt.

This makes me think though, is it wise to give someone the combo to your safe?

Okay, a quick update on the Reising in this thread that I originally posted. Legal owner/heir to the Reising and many other (regular) guns is still going through probate due to issues with a bonafide will. It may take some time for him to get things worked out legally. As mentioned, there are a number (2-3) of Form 4's for suppressors in possession, but still unable to find the Form 4 on the Reising.
    Would it be productive to contact the BATF and inquire about a form 4 on file for the specific serial number? I read another thread where it was advised that an attorney inquire on a similar situation with ATF. If so, can I inquire myself since I am the prospective buyer, or does the heir have to inquire. I would think there have been cases of lost (paperwork) form 4's and NFA stamps?? In that case does the BATF simply send out a replacement/duplicate form 4/NFA stamp?
    Worst case is the subgun in question is not documented and would need to be turned in or destroyed. The heir would not have a problem with that as he sees little value in a SMG to start with.
    I'm looking at it from a point of speeding up the process and hopefully getting ownership of a Reising for my collection.

The executor of the estate is the one who should have possession of the gun until it is actually transferred to the heir. If they are the same person, great. The Executor (or his atty) is also the only person ATF will be allowed to release info to since the registration forms are considered tax returns, just like a 1040.

Yes, if ATF has a record of the ownership in the decedent's name they will make a copy and send it to the Executor on request. At that point it would Form 5 tax free to the heir.

The problem is ATF has kept the NFA registry in poor condition and sometimes cannot find entries, often making a copy of the owners form to update the registry when a transfer comes in they have no record of. As I understand it the original 1930s registry was index cards in a box, then later on it was drawers full of index cards that were sorted by a "Diebold Machine". Cards got eaten by the machine, fell out of the drawers and stayed in the bottom of the machine, etc. IIRC, several thousand registrations are still under the name of the original registrant who papered them in the 1930s. There are apparently a lot of NFA owners who are 100+ years old out there...

In any event, contacting ATF is a last resort as there is a chance it will come back unregistered even if it was. If that happens the gun will have to be surrendered or donated to a museum or PD. Using an atty as a "cutout" may insulate the owner from ATF a bit.

Thanks Slimshady
    The executor and heir are the same person. Ill keep pushing forward on this project and perhaps work with executor to get an atty to communicate with ATF?? Either way, its gonna be a slow process, but the gun is not going anywhere.

Update?

+ Reply to Thread