UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AK hold open mags

UZI Talk Supporter

AK hold open mags

anyone own these and use these?

ive never heard of them until a week ago....it is annoying how you shoot your AK until it goes CLICK....my only problem is as soon as you remove the mag the bolt slams anyways right?

ive got all old Chinese mags and a few Russian Bakelites...no Yugo hold opens...curious if i should buy a few while they are cheap

They're nice to let you know when you're empty. It is just a different follower which impedes the bolts forward movement, so yes bolt slams home once removed unlike a true LRBHO.

These guys make a replacement follower that functions identically.

UZI Talk Supporter

Or use your dremel or grinder and remove part of the metal follower so that the ramp the bolt slides over is gone.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have some Yugo LRBHO Mags. They are different, but not any more useful or faster to do a reload.
    I'd buy them if they were the cheapest surplus mags,but I would not psy extra for them!

Registered User IndyGunCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    anyone own these and use these?

ive never heard of them until a week ago....it is annoying how you shoot your AK until it goes CLICK....my only problem is as soon as you remove the mag the bolt slams anyways right?

ive got all old Chinese mags and a few Russian Bakelites...no Yugo hold opens...curious if i should buy a few while they are cheap
    That M92 you're getting should come with 2 new 30rd yugo hold opens.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyGunCollector View Post
    That M92 you're getting should come with 2 new 30rd yugo hold opens.
    i dont believe they ever came with (2) of them

they usually come with 1 Yugo and 1 Magpul

Prepper gun shop takes the Yugo as a trick to lower the price. i knew this when i bought it

so all i get is a Magpul mag

UZI Talk Supporter

Same operation on an M2 carbine, just helps to let you know you're out instead of wondering if you had a misfire.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Good mags, I have many of them, just not worth the extra money, some sellers ask for them.

Many shooters new to the AK platform, believe they will lock the bolt open identical to a AR15.

Once you remove the mag, the AK bolt closes.

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
    Good mags, I have many of them, just not worth the extra money, some sellers ask for them.

Many shooters new to the AK platform, believe they will lock the bolt open identical to a AR15.

Once you remove the mag, the AK bolt closes.

Exactly.
    It's no quicker than standard mags.
    Either way, you pull the trigger and no "bang", so you swap mags and retract/release the bolt before resuming shooting.

Only cool thing about the bolt hold open mags on the M92 PV is that when you are empty, you can flip up the notched bolt hold safety, pop out the empty mag, put in a new one and when you flip off the safety it chambers a round.

i dont believe they ever came with (2) of them

they usually come with 1 Yugo and 1 Magpul

Prepper gun shop takes the Yugo as a trick to lower the price. i knew this when i bought it

so all i get is a Magpul mag
    Well damn... I guess I got lucky.. could be because I have serial # 1515 and they were more generous then?

I own one of these. I always forget that I own one until my bolt carrier locks to the rear at the range and I think for a moment I have had a malfunction. They used to be a lot more expensive than they are now. I think I saw them selling for like $13 but a few years back I think they were about 2X that much. There is a company in Croatia that makes brand new versions of these that have a pretty good rep.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    It's no quicker than standard mags.
    Either way, you pull the trigger and no "bang", so you swap mags and retract/release the bolt before resuming shooting.
    The reload is no quicker, but the point is to not leave you with a weapon that you think is loaded, but isn't. (ie: cocked hammer and closed bolt over an empty chamber and mag)

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DistalRadius View Post
    The reload is no quicker, but the point is to not leave you with a weapon that you think is loaded, but isn't. (ie: cocked hammer and closed bolt over an empty chamber and mag)
    I suppose that would be beneficial in certain circumstances (finish shooting, nove, and a new target appears), as long as you train yourself to look at the ejection port after firing.

I don't hate these mags; as previously stated, I have some,and they feed fine. I simply wouldn't pay a substantial premium for them.

UZI Talk Supporter

Recoil impulse sure does feel different when the bolt locks back, that's usually a good enough indication for me.

UZI Talk Supporter
    next time i order something else i will tack on one of these mags for $10 just to have one....

i wont pay $8 shipping for a $10 mag

Quote Originally Posted by West_Texas_King View Post
    Recoil impulse sure does feel different when the bolt locks back, that's usually a good enough indication for me.
    This.

UZI Talk Supporter
    next time i order something else i will tack on one of these mags for $10 just to have one....

i wont pay $8 shipping for a $10 mag
    I would pay that for them, assuming VG or better condition.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DistalRadius View Post
    This.
    I haven't used mine in so long I honestly don't remember ( I've been using East German mags. I got half a dozen for $40, with 2 pouches, a few years back.)

You can also find Yugo bolt hold open followers. That's a cheaper alternative and all that is necessary.

Some Chinese/norinco mags also have a bolt hold open follower. But they're no longer imported and are hard to find and costly if you do find them.

If you use some of the BHO followers, depending on the mag body origin, you MAY have to grind down a little tab inside of the top edge of the mag body that often blocks the follower from raising far enough in the mag body to work. Just takes a few minutes with a dremel IF you have to in the first place.

And the earlier replies are true. The follower blocks the bolt from moving forward when empty, when you drop the mag, the bolt slams home anyway, but you can feel when it's empty, and that's why I like using them.

I have a bunch of older import mags and followers that I use. I also have some of the primary arms followers. They're plastic with a little metal rod inside of them and are not anything like the surplus metal followers. I don't trust the primary arms followers because they're mostly plastic. Though I admit that I haven't had any problems with them, I don't shoot those very often either.

+ Reply to Thread