UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SBR ab fnc

SBR ab fnc

Finally with the help of FUATOS i got a hammer for my fnc . And the AMAZING advice of OKPUD i am on the way to having a functioning select fire FNC . One question what do you guys think of buying a GM barrel and sbr'ing a full auto fnc while saving the original barrel. My Questions are ;
    1- would/could removal of the original barrel harm it or the gun
    2- who does this work
    3-since i have a tax stamp already for select fire;do i need another stamp to sbr it? I cant deal with 41 f or those new fucking rules . These rules have caused a well known gunsmith on the net to quit and take up truck driving. what a loss to the ak community. and he was successful. Our fucking govt is choking out the gunsmiths. I wont mention his name yet but he is well known on the net. The only hope is the DONALD ;the fucking NRA is useless. RICHARD

UZI Talk Supporter
    No additional stamp is necessary for short barrel.
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

thanks thats fantastic news

would be nice if Okpud did this work

Quote Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
    Pud does great work... He's done FNC mods, along with other gunsmithing work on various firearms for me over the years. He chopped my original FNC barrel down to 14" several years ago (prior to GM barrels) without affecting accuracy in a 1:12 barrel, but keep in mind, this will limit you to 55gr ammo.

I have a spare FNC, I have thought about having the upper modified to run with my sear. If I do that along with shortening the barrel under 16", would I need to sell off the lower so I only have one functioning lower with sear?

I also have a spare GM barrel, would I be better off having that modified and installed and saving the original of the spare or does no one care? The original barrel of my original MG FNC already has north of 4k rounds through it so I figure its too late to keep that one minty.

The plan would be to keep the upper of the complete MG FNC original. And then have another upper shortened with a QD mount for a can. It would also let me swap uppers when they get hot and allow one to cool down. Or am I just wasting money with this plan?

UZI Talk Supporter

Spare parts for your FNC

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. I think that's a great idea come to think of it. I would have the GB barrel attached to the spare and keep it for your SHTF gun and just be careful with the other one. Unless you are dumping mags you shouldn't need to worry much about the one you're shooting. FNC owners worry far too much about their guns. These guns are extremely well built. They are built for combat. Don't be afraid to enjoy it.

I have 2 factory barrels with low round count, it you want a minty one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quake Guy View Post
    I have a spare FNC, I have thought about having the upper modified to run with my sear. If I do that along with shortening the barrel under 16", would I need to sell off the lower so I only have one functioning lower with sear?

I also have a spare GM barrel, would I be better off having that modified and installed and saving the original of the spare or does no one care? The original barrel of my original MG FNC already has north of 4k rounds through it so I figure its too late to keep that one minty.

The plan would be to keep the upper of the complete MG FNC original. And then have another upper shortened with a QD mount for a can. It would also let me swap uppers when they get hot and allow one to cool down. Or am I just wasting money with this plan?
    You can have the bolt carrier converted to fullauto in the spare FNC without the need to sell the lower. Simply having a FA carrier does not make a MG. You also need to remember that the upper us the controlled "firearm" part on the FNC. If you shorten the barrel below 16" on the semi you will have to register it as a SBR. The sear converted FNC can have the barrel shortened without additional SBR registration because MG trumps SBR.

a little confused, Say my select fire FNC is somehow damaged beyond repair, Cant i just remove the registered seer and install it in a fresh
    host FNC?

UZI Talk Supporter

Spare parts for your FNC

Yes, your sear is not assigned to any gun. The sear itself is considered the gun and is the registered machine gun. Your sear can be installed in any FN FNC.

Thank you sir

UZI Talk Supporter
    a little confused, Say my select fire FNC is somehow damaged beyond repair, Cant i just remove the registered seer and install it in a fresh
    host FNC?
    Just to be completely clear, you can remove the S&H sear and move it to another FNC lower without any legal issues. Just remember that the upper receiver of the FNC is a Title I firearm all on its own. Without a registered sear in its accompanying lower, it must still meet all Title I rules. Ex., if you cut the barrel down below 16" on that upper and later "move" the sear to another FNC, you must register the "old" upper as a SBR or remove the short barrel from it to stay compliant.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm pretty sure he does

Quote Originally Posted by okpud View Post
    Just to be completely clear, you can remove the S&H sear and move it to another FNC lower without any legal issues. Just remember that the upper receiver of the FNC is a Title I firearm all on its own. Without a registered sear in its accompanying lower, it must still meet all Title I rules. Ex., if you cut the barrel down below 16" on that upper and later "move" the sear to another FNC, you must register the "old" upper as a SBR or remove the short barrel from it to stay compliant.
    Exactly.

just took the FNC out this weekend so I wandered back to the forum...

I thought the HK guys with sears normally have a bunch of hosts, most under 16" and they are not normally SBR'd. What is the difference having two FNC uppers and only one lower with sear? This assumes I sell the non converted lower.

or to ask it another way, lets say both uppers are under 16". What makes the original host upper different from any other FNC I might aquire? Other than my personal documentation and notes on my trust inventory, there is no official documentation saying one was the original host. Shouldn't they both be SBR'd then if I am swapping the lower with sear?

As per my H&K example, I thought SBR only applied if I could make a complete functioning gun with a non machine gun lower or pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Quake Guy View Post
    just took the FNC out this weekend so I wandered back to the forum...

I thought the HK guys with sears normally have a bunch of hosts, most under 16" and they are not normally SBR'd. What is the difference having two FNC uppers and only one lower with sear? This assumes I sell the non converted lower.

or to ask it another way, lets say both uppers are under 16". What makes the original host upper different from any other FNC I might aquire? Other than my personal documentation and notes on my trust inventory, there is no official documentation saying one was the original host. Shouldn't they both be SBR'd then if I am swapping the lower with sear?

As per my H&K example, I thought SBR only applied if I could make a complete functioning gun with a non machine gun lower or pack?
    If the HK host started out as a rifle and has a lesss than 16" barrel, in order to take the sear out of the host and use it in another, the host must be registered as a sbr. Pistol hosts do not need to be registered as SBR so long as no stock is installed when the sear is installed in another host. Also, a pistol cannot have a vertical grip installed without the sear as it would be a AOW.

+ Reply to Thread