UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 4 14 29 LastLast

Thread: 12 ga upper for M-11/9 project

UZI Talk Life Member
    Well with just one pin, I'd say the Mac pin takes at least twice the beating.. but the rear plate is a bigger concern for most. The rifle upper will have a buffer- my 12ga is tbd.. but that is also subjective- some folks may "fear" such a thing.. but my Mac is a shooter and pushing limits is my hobby- I have no fear of the stress on it. Its just steel and can be fixed. Certainly you address any true risks and as a finish s product you want it to be able to take a beating. Remember my 12ga upper will have two steel plates for sides- the current design has about 2 dozen bolts securing the components between them, so no real concerns about anything there- and the bolt will have a greater travel distance and be of considerable size compared to a stock 9mm bolt.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjsoccer3 View Post
    I feel like the upper/lower set up puts more pressure on the pins than an M16 or shotgun.
    On an open bolt system almost all of the recoil is applied to the bolt and is resisted by the recoil spring. Since that spring is typically seated against the backplate of the rear of the buffer tube in these guns, there should not be any substantial pressure on the pin. Preferably the upper would sit directly against the back of the receiver to further reduce the likelihood of stress being applied to the pin. Having said that, I do recall talk of egged pin holes before but I have no idea how that occurs. Perhaps they were egged forward because of the bolt slamming forward? It seems like I have not seen this problem mentioned in years. I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

If the gun fired from a locked breach , like an M16, there would be much more force applied to the upper and thus possibly the pin. It just should not be a problem on these guns though. I would be more worried about the backplate or buffer tube attachment. I would not shoot a 12ga upper without the gun shouldered firmly. No need to worry though, a 12ga upper isn't going to happen any time soon.
    Last edited by bigj480; 07-02-2017 at 08:44 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Another factor in the wear and tear caused by recoil is Recoil Impulse. Basically, this describes the speed at which the recoil is delivered. A slower impulse causes less damage than a fast one (think of a push vs a punch)

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj480 View Post
    .. I do recall talk of egged pin holes before but I have no idea how that occurs. Perhaps they were egged forward because of the bolt slamming forward? It seems like I have not seen this problem mentioned in years.
    It would have to be, no real force is applied when the bolt moves backwards over the sear. A good example would be a heavy CF bolt in a Lage upper with no buffer- the heavy bolt goes all the way back and then accelerates before the sear catches, slamming into the sear. Ideally, your bolt doesn't have space to build significant forward momentum before it engages the sear..

**this would be egging of your sear bar hole. When it comes to the front pin hole, I imagine losing your reinforcement tab and shooting 10k rounds might do it.. the bolt pounds at it every round.

Quote Originally Posted by bigj480 View Post
    I would not shoot a 12ga upper without the gun shouldered firmly. No need to worry though, a 12ga upper isn't going to happen any time soon.
    I'm jeep mounting it. Maybe not commercially but I wouldn't bet on it.. depends on your meaning of "soon" I plan to have one "soon" but my estimate of 12-18 months minimum holds true. I have a high degree of confidence.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Ok work continues- design is never really done. But I am at a place where my forecast of probability is higher.. so much so that I'm going to take a list- no promises, purely a throw your hat in the ring in case it works.. but as work has progressed pretty good, it is a possibility. I'm going to build two prototypes so one can go to ATF.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Ok work continues- design is never really done. But I am at a place where my forecast of probability is higher.. so much so that I'm going to take a list- no promises, purely a throw your hat in the ring in case it works.. but as work has progressed pretty good, it is a possibility. I'm going to build two prototypes so one can go to ATF.
    put my name down for one for the Mac 10/45

i think a full 12 gauge will never be able to be handled...so id prefer a 410 or 20 gauge...or 12 gauge shorties.....i think 00 buck 12 gauge at 500 rpm will be shooting Ducks in the sky rather than the target on the ground

also maybe the 12 gauge shorties or 410 may be small enough to use the standard upper style w/o the M16 outside buffer tube....????

a shotgun in any form FA would just be bad ass....it doesnt need to be 00 buck 12 gauge to sell....i think anything with a 20 round mag and shot gun shells will sell to deplorable people like myself

UZI Talk Life Member
    Us deplorables need to stick together! M-11/9 first but once the first one works, I think it's actually pretty minor to make changes for different lowers.

UZI Talk Supporter

What the heck, if you make em I'll buy one. My life wouldn't be complete if I knew a full auto shotgun upper existed and I didn't have one...

Add me to the list

UZI Talk Life Member
    Put me on the list too! The more uppers, the better!

Add me to the list please

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks guys- no obligations to buy, just good to know the level of interest. I'll PM you with your number. I pick up first part for the prototype tomorrow- two slightly different parts for testing. Which ever works, I'll pick up a second one, and then on to the next part! Why build one when you can build two?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Are you thinking of patterning off the M1919a4 or a6?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Thanks guys- no obligations to buy, just good to know the level of interest. I'll PM you with your number. I pick up first part for the prototype tomorrow- two slightly different parts for testing. Which ever works, I'll pick up a second one, and then on to the next part! Why build one when you can build two?
    Kinda sounds like you're gonna have to give up your day job and start manufacturing these Uppers full time!

UZI Talk Supporter

I'd be interested in one as well. M11 just keeps getting more versatile.

UZI Talk Supporter

I'm down for one!

Definitely want one!

UZI Talk Life Member

Add me to the list. We all need another way to waste ammo.

Put me down.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Kinda sounds like you're gonna have to give up your day job and start manufacturing these Uppers full time!
    Design is where the hard work is done.. To prevent more work! All the parts are to be CNC'd and the side plates are laser cut.. assembly should be realativley easy.

+ Reply to Thread