UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 6 9 LastLast

Thread: 12 ga upper for M-11/9 project

Compare. 14 gauge sheet is .078 vs. .075 on the stock upper- this junk I used for the other test wouldn't hold up- or I'm at least not going to be the operator for the test. Will still use it for some further test bends- need to close the radius a just a tad.

Looks good.

Thanks man. Pretty good for some guy tooling around in the garage- out of raw materials, something! How is your son, snipe? Tell him to push hard at recovery.. his body will let him how much is too much, but you have to push it in order to recover as fully as is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Thanks man. Pretty good for some guy tooling around in the garage- out of raw materials, something! How is your son, snipe? Tell him to push hard at recovery.. his body will let him how much is too much, but you have to push it in order to recover as fully as is possible.
    He's doing good. He's pushing himself, sometimes a bit too far. He is wanting to be walking without assistance by Xmas.
    Thanks for asking about him.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Totally cool!
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

Okay team here is the first machined part for the upper. The channel piece I have been working on goes right into this beast, behind the magwell. The hole on the rear tab is for the receiver pin. I would have liked the trunnion be part of this but on the first one at least it needs to be separate so it can be orientated properly for measurements. The bolt will have a lower component matching a stock bolt, the upper component rides on top of the part (this will all be one bolt).

Last edited by rybread; 07-16-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Very nice to see this coming along!

Rybread

Add me to the list please for one for the mac 11/9

Thanks,
    Dave

Update- working on a final set of part drawings to hand off to go into Solid Works and 3D print a set of test parts. No eta I wouldn't dare to guess, it's going to take a while but definitely making real progress. This route is really necessary to get it right.

Could you believe such a thing could even happen? I was googling up machine shops to make a few parts and found an old forum post.. upon randomly emailing this individual (who sounded uniquely qualified) we've come to negotiating an agreement on producing a working 3D model and while we're at it he is interested in integrating a lever delayed bolt system.. this started as a garage build but sometimes a little more juice is required to do it right... I am as optimistic as ever. More to follow.

I'll be finalizing the contract for prototype production this weekend. Should have some preliminary content to share the week after. Anyone who wants to be on the wait list but has not posted to this thread please email me at ryanradeckiSPAM77@gmail.com just remove the canned meat reference...

Imagine that- something read on the internet was not accurate! I emailed Mr.Miller who built the RR 12ga upper. According to him, the upper was NOT deemed a post sample, and is under military contract. I asked if it would be available to the public at any time in the future but his response was ambiguous- quote "I'm sure It will, if I'd sell the patent on it, the military pays pretty good" so- yes, for sure- If id sell the patent I'd make lots of money - OR - yes, maybe, but I'll sell it to the military instead.. anyway my purpose was to understand why it was deemed a post sample but he indicated that was not the case. That gives me a bit more hope...

Ok guys- time to decide if we are going to do this! The wait list stands at 20. I understand everyone's hesitation to jump on something that seems so uncertain, but there also needs to be sufficient interest to proceed. The no-obligation wait list needs to hit 25 for us to print the 3-d prototype for ATF review.

I'm very surprised it's only at 20. This has some great potential to be a really cool toy for us M11/9 owners.

Do you have any additional 3D modeling done? A few "sneak peeks" might drum up some more interest.

I'd be on the list but I'm a M10 guy.
    If there are no plans for an upper for my MAC then I'm on the list and I will retrofit it to my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by okent View Post
    I'd be on the list but I'm a M10 guy.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by JP87 View Post
    Do you have any additional 3D modeling done? A few "sneak peeks" might drum up some more interest.
    X2

UZI Talk Supporter

I know this is difficult to gauge, but do you have any possible idea on cost? I might be in for 2.... which would bring it up to 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    I know this is difficult to gauge, but do you have any possible idea on cost? I might be in for 2.... which would bring it up to 21.
    Sten, way too early to speculate. So here we go. I don't really know but it has to cover design, prototype & production costs. My hope would be ~2k tops, lower if possible. It could be more.. but if you want another civilian transferrable FA 12ga experience they don't come cheap! We're up to 21 now.

+ Reply to Thread