UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I was cleaning my MAC today...And was like, dang! I see how the lower works!

I was cleaning my MAC today...And was like, dang! I see how the lower works!

This was something I kind of just randomly got into while cleaning the gun, but you can actually understand the workings of the gun without really knowing a thing about engineering. Open up your gun and look!

You've got a trigger with a spring underneath that pushes the trigger forward (and a bar running a-top it upward). The pressure upward lifts up an enongated bar. The edge of this bar holds back the bolt. Pull the trigger - and a little 'arm' on the trigger's bar wrapped around this elongated bar yanks the elongated bar down while the trigger pivots in its pin. Then bang bang bang! The bolt is allowed to drop. (Of course until you release the trigger and the spring kicks back in or the gun goes empty). Even more interesting, turn the gun from full auto to semi auto with the trigger pulled back - then this little "bird claw" on the left side moves upward (presumably by an increasing radius along the selector bar elevating the claw as it is turned). The backward curved part of this claw curving downward to the back of the reciever is now pushed against the tiny 'little arm' on the trigger which had tugs downward as the trigger is pulled. This downward pressure creates a see-saw motion raising the "hitch" at the front of the "bird claw" which catches the front of the bolt after it returns to the open bolt position. Release the trigger, the bird claw drops, the elongated bar rises, and the gun is back to where it started! Look at the safety. Move it to safe, it gets in the way of the "enlongated bar" from dropping (like sliding a rock between it and the bottom of the lower). That's the reason you can't even cock the gun when it's on safe!

I found taking the time to understand it to be very cool...That's the Mac 10!

Read this and check your's out!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Good for you.

Cool! Still don't understand mine, just glad it works. Lol

Far out!
    In other news, I just found out what my special purpose is...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Maybe it's because I run a heavy equipment mechanic/machine shop... I can't fathom how people go through life not knowing at all how their car/house works aside from putting gas in the tank or walking in the door and turning on the A/C because its hot. They are the pawns in life if I were to be honest.

With my weapons, I've taken all of them completely apart (detail stripped) and do so each time after heavy range sessions. They are Cleaned, Assembled, and Known. To me that's the basis of manhood. How Do Your Weapons Work? That should be primal and far from taboo by the time you reach class3.

This is one of those times I'm not politician minded. Maybe you could learn to take action from these words (if they apply) or just get mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    Maybe it's because I run a heavy equipment mechanic/machine shop... I can't fathom how people go through life not knowing at all how their car/house works aside from putting gas in the tank or walking in the door and turning on the A/C because its hot. They are the pawns in life if I were to be honest.

With my weapons, I've taken all of them completely apart (detail stripped) and do so each time after heavy range sessions. They are Cleaned, Assembled, and Known. To me that's the basis of manhood. How Do Your Weapons Work? That should be primal and far from taboo by the time you reach class3.

This is one of those times I'm not politician minded. Maybe you could learn to take action from these words (if they apply) or just get mad.
    Might be news to you, but many people on the higher economic and social spectrum find it cheaper to pay people to things like that. NFA is now becoming a rich man's game.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Edit: okay.
    Last edited by Hey...; 06-18-2017 at 03:00 AM. Reason: pay people to clean their guns, lol.

UZI Talk Supporter

I'm still trying to figure out how my thermos works....

UZI Talk Life Member
    I took it apart once, but I havnt cleaned my Mac in 30k plus rounds. I just keep squirting in motor oil/rubbing down the outside for corrosion protection but still have yet to clean it

Quote Originally Posted by Ericoak View Post
    Might be news to you, but many people on the higher economic and social spectrum find it cheaper to pay people to things like that. NFA is now becoming a rich man's game.
    I'm not one of those people, and by any current measure of personal economics / social scale...my wife and I are blessed to be near the top. I've also been in this game for a long time.

Guns in general and Machine Guns in particular have always appealed to my natural curiosity of machines and how mechanical things work. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most folks who are into machine guns are like-minded, regardless of their current socio-economic position.

On that same note, I still do all of the routine service / minor repairs on all my vehicles and household "machines" and systems. I don't do that to exercise my inner "penny pincher," I do it because I enjoy doing it, know that a particular task has been performed correctly, enjoy learning how to do something new, and in doing so I'm following the example my father set while growing up.

BTW...Happy Father's Day

Wow, has this thread gone to a dark place. I think it is great that there are those that have mechanical abilities and those that love this hobby but are not mechanically inclined. My cousin was the first person I knew, personally, that owned a machinegun. His first was a NIB Colt M16A1. He paid a big premium to be the first to shoot it. He spent quite a bit of time learning the mechanism. Over time he bought other firearms. His local dealer was also a Class 3 dealer. My cousin would drop off his dirty gun with the dealer for a week. The dealer would clean each gun for $20. The dealer could shoot the guns for a week. Then my cousin would pick them up at the end of a week and the guns would be clean. The dealer was not in a financial place to have his own guns. My cousin liked that he could get someone else to do the job he could do but didn't enjoy and the dealer got to shoot some guns, particularly a WH '28 Thompson that he could not afford.

I think it is great that most of the members of this board own and shoot MAC style guns. As with any hobby, or for that matter the public at large that will be more mechanically inclined and others not so much. I think berating others that don't have the exact same interest or abilities is horrible. There are others here that not only understand the MAC style systems but are doing projects the go beyond the factory configurations. If those who love to shoot the MAC style but don't necessarily understand the finer points of the system are somehow less than those that understand the finer points of the MAC style mechanical function, does that mean that those that understand the system but don't "tinker" by making non standard configurations are less than those that do? And then those that do "tinker" are somehow less than those that actually develop a non standard product and actually bring it to the market? And then those that bring a product to the market are somehow less than those that actually make their primary source of income from MAC style products that they make/sell?

This thread really pisses me off. To those that feel they are somehow "better" than other members because they better understand the MAC style systems, I say "Bull Shit!" Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Just because something comes easier or is more interesting to you so you put more effort into it doesn't make you "better", just different. I think "hurray for me" or "hurray for this" is great. "You suck because you can't or won't do things like me" is horrible. Because I am mechanically inclined and can understand how the mechanism works doesn't make me "better" than others, just different. Running other down because they don't have your ability or interest is bullshit.

OP, I think it is great that you are getting to know and understand the function of your MAC style RR. I think sharing your enthusiasm is also great. To those that think they are "better" because they have skills or insights that others don't, there will always be someone "better" than you. I don't think life is a competition. YMMV.

Scott

Shit, I wish I could pay other people to fix my stuff. I work on my own out of necessity. The Army killed any love I once had for turning a wrench.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Scott... slow

UZI Talk Life Member
    Concorde hosts a great site with lots of good "MAC" information. There's a breakdown of the M-11/9 parts that should help explain the relationship of the parts fit and how they fit and interact with each other. The M-10 is slightly different, but it may help,others understand how their guns operate.
    http://mac-11.info/fcg.htm
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Evil View Post
    Wow, has this thread gone to a dark place.

This thread really pisses me off.
    If the thread affects you in such a profound way...you might consider huddling in your "Safe Place" till the bad feelings go away.

See, also, U.S. patent no. 3,651,736.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post

oh come on! really.
    There's so much in life to do and so much time to do it. The rabbit hole is indeed endlessly deep. For example even you being a machinist you prob dont have the in depth level of knowledge of say metals on the molecular level or whatnot.

I agree that everyone should have a basic understanding of gun operation for safety and maintenance reasons...but not nec. gunsmith knowledge of operation/actual design or being able to design one. And certainly not for every MG you own if you own a bunch. At my age I learn a new MGs oepration, then it goes in the safe and maybe not shot or seen for a long time ...and then all that gets forgotten. Hell I've "learned" and forgotten the AUGs operation many times.

My point is there's a basic level of understanding thats almost required but past that its endless and where past that you choose to end your knowledge chase on any specific gun or its operation is fine. As in OK...as in no, you arent less manly , etc ,etc. That's just silly. At some point you just want your shit to work right so you can get on with your business. Think of the copy machine at the office...we all use them and most of us can clear a jam or whatever...but the hell if I ever want to REALLY know the inner working of it.

Or PCs.... you use them everyday yet I bet you have only a basic working knowledge of Win10 operating system. Seriously...the world has gotten so complex that even many of the most basic tools we use are really beyond the realm of most end users to really understand how they work. How they truly work.....and no, it doesnt mean Im stupid or lazy...it just means that my limited time on this planet is better spent enjoying life or doing something more productive than taking apart a damn copying machine , or changing my cars oil, or rebuilding my minigun (just an example...i do not own one!).

I interpret MRIs all day for a living. Got 10 years of post college formal education under my belt...and yes way back when in residency I did learn (and was tested on) the operation and theory behind MRI image acquisition...all that has been long lost and my efforts have been directed to improving my interpretation of the images produced by the machines.

Just saying.... The rabbit holes are infinitely deep.

Manly... lol, funny stuff. I dunno, I also chuckled a bit when I read the OP but hey, we've all been there at some point.

I do think that if you own something like an MG or a muscle car or any other kind of performance machine that plan to keep long term you are far better off educating yourself about it. Thats just common sense. But c'mon, no reason to be elitist over it. Personally I'm extremely familiar with my M11/9, but my Browning A5 is its own little enigmatic universe shrouded in mystery.

UZI Talk Life Member
    One of the few rewards of being a teacher is watching the light bulb turn on. It's a beautiful thing.
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting. :)

+ Reply to Thread