UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Underwater Pistol and Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Wastin Ammo View Post
    I've shot glock 9mm underwater and they are curve balls, I think any projectile with a good spin might do that also. I'm also a diver and sperfisherman, it's nothing like hunting, you have to get close because you don't want to lose the fish with limited visability after it takes a quick dash.

I freeshaft, which is using a spear with no line attached, to do that you have to shoot at a rear to front angle so the fish swims up to the barb and can't swim off the spear. Really big fish in open water would sink before the diver could get to it, Big stuff that hides under ledges you probably couldn't get out without a line.

If the goal is underwater target practice I think you will have fun, but if the goal is hunting, I'm not sure this is a better mouse trap.
    I've never tried freeshafting (somehow sounds perverse).
    I liked spearfishing when I was younger, really the only kind of fishing I enjoyed.
    Retrieval would be a real problem for a cartridge gun in open water for sure. I haven't figured that part out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey... View Post
    Since we're now on the side topic of spearfishing...

In my days spearfishing whilst snorkling the inner reef (30 foot deep) I found it best to get close to a pool of desired fish, hold your breath and dive maybe 7' down.... the fish vacate the area as you go down. Stay there until just before you're out of oxygen and they will just barely start to get closer again. That moment before you need to get upwards quick is your hunter's shot window.

I'd get maybe 3-7 fish depending before the barracuda shows up sensing blood. Time to get to shore swimming backwards watching that devil as you get away. Those things are crazy.
    I used to think I wanted to spear a barracuda.
    Then i met one in 1992.
    I was about half a mile from the side of the island (Cuba), which was cliffs. I was about 3 miles from the dive/fishing pier. I was breaking the first rule of diving (never dive alone) because my dive buddy had duty.
    I felt something brush my leg,and when I turned, I was staring at a barracuda! It looked as big as a boat.
    If the people from Guinness Book of World Records had been there, I would now be famous, because I'm sure I set a new swimming record.
    That ended any fantasy about spearing a barracuda.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm going to test an old above water technique; an arrow fired from a 410.
    Probably actually use crossbow bolts from a single shot pistol, but it's the same idea,and (hopefully)will work.
    I will probably wait til after hunting season ends;
    1) I don't really want to be caught with that setup during hunting season (supposedly,the setup allows illegal use of a gun during archery season, and TN has some weird hunting regulations as to what you can possess during all hunting seasons);
    2) Stuff goes on Clearance Sale after season ends;
    3) I've got more pressing matters to attend.

Any comments, ideas,or suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread