UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CF-W A1 9mm Bolt - Test and Review

UZI Talk Life Member

CF-W A1 9mm Bolt - Test and Review

I had the privilege to test out the new CF-W A1 9mm bolt for the mac-11/m11a1 submachine gun and it is a smash! Yesterday I experienced what Strobro has said multiple times across many threads - no one currently makes in-spec 380 uppers - making that day consist of piecing together a working gun between the parts I had and an upper sent my VegasSMG. However today went very smoothly after getting that ironed out.

Test Parameters:
    -24 30-rd zmags and 12 50-rd zmags (all zmags have the gen 1 follower)
    -4" 1/2x28 threaded 9mm barrel
    -ammo - 147 gr reloads ~ 950-980 FPS

Test Results
    -I had 4 failures to feed across 3 of the 50 rd zmags, which is pretty astounding. I blame this one on me for not modifying their followers.
    -unsuppressed ROF 875 rpm
    -suppressed ROF 915-939 rpm
    -also all 1320 rounds were fired in a period of less than 30 minutes because i was outside uncovered in torrential downpour. Since I was firing so much so quickly, I rotated between unsuppressed and two different silencers.

Also not part of today's test, but i fired 150 rounds of military 9mm NATO ammo yesterday out of a 6" barrel - rate of fire was close to 1100 rpm.

My Thoughts and Comparisons
    -The OEM mac11 in its original form is by comparison almost twice the rate of fire and much more expensive to shoot in 380 ACP
    -The OEM m11/9 set up has a much HARSHER felt recoil than this CFW-A1in the m11a1, even when i ran the hot military ammo out of a longer barrel.
    -The recoil impulse and speed reminds me of the CF-W gen 1 bolts for those familiar with them. Very smooth and not a hard bottoming out.
    -This is by far the most compact and controllable mac of any kind
    -If your tall like me (6'7") you might not like the PS 380 uzi side folding stock and want to alternatively use the PS m11/9 uzi side folder. I switched stocks mid-test.
    -its much smoother shooting than the max11a1 mk2 since the weight is inline with barrel and much smaller.

Conclusions
    -This to me is just a big of a success as the original CF-W bolt by converting a 380 buzz gun into controllable smooth 9mm SMG.
    -I really like shooting this thing suppressed, its a wicked little set up and now i can enjoy cheap shooting in 9mm.
    -This bolt can be made more enjoyable in the future by an awesome upper. In my opinion the best thing to ever happen to the m11/9 was the CF-W paired to the Grey Ghost upper. The use of a compact gun with a working ergonomic foregrip, gas deflector (i only shoot suppressed) and full picatinny rail is the bare essentials for uber awesome. Sam at practical solutions is currently taking names for production baby ghosts, once these begin rolling out in conjunction with these CF-W a1 bolts it will be the ultimate set up.
    -Sam - i predict alot of people will be contacting you to covert their small magwells to large so they can enjoy 9mm out of their guns.

Questions?

No questions, but a 'thank you' for the info! I'm on the list and super excited! This is a dream come true for lots of enthusiasts wanting to convert a .380 to cheaper 9mm in the most compact package without beating itself to death. The only disappointing part of your post is I was in your neighborhood yesterday (Tenoroc range) and I missed the fun.

Video?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    No questions, but a 'thank you' for the info! I'm on the list and super excited! This is a dream come true for lots of enthusiasts wanting to convert a .380 to cheaper 9mm in the most compact package without beating itself to death. The only disappointing part of your post is I was in your neighborhood yesterday (Tenoroc range) and I missed the fun.
    Let's get together, I need more MG buddies in Florida!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Svelectric1 View Post
    Video?
    Sorry I didn't do it. CoffeeFreak also asked me to do it before I started shooting too but standing by myself in a torrential downpour I was really focused on dumping all my mags and getting home! Lol

UZI Talk Life Member
    Amazing write up. You do A GREAT job always at this!! Btw TY for the invite? Lol

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by komodoj View Post
    Amazing write up. You do A GREAT job always at this!! Btw TY for the invite? Lol
    Dude I called you and you never returned my message!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Crap you did. I'm sorry. We left on Friday for vacation at Ft. Walton beach. Anyway, awesome review and sorry to get of topic. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post
    Dude I called you and you never returned my message!

UZI Talk Supporter

Thanks for the review! I'm over on the east cost directly across from you, drop me a PM the next time you need to burn a thousand rounds for a review

Couple of questions - do you recall what the feed failures were? And were you using an OEM 380 upper or a chopped 9 mm upper? I'm curious if the small ejection port on the 380 could have contributed to the FTFs.

Last question is for Vegas - any idea when these might start shipping?

Tim
    Last edited by tlk; 07-24-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: F'n autocorrect...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Good questions Tim.

Please note the only failures reported were with three of his twelve 50 round magazines. Zero malfunctions reported shooting a total of 24 of his thirty round Zmags. I'll speculate that most of his shooting was suppressed and all was in 100% humidity which *may* have contributed to the failures. Still, a very impressive number.

Unfortunately his test .380 uppers weren't "in spec", including one upper that had never been test fired. For most of his testing a cut down MPA M-11/9 upper with its larger ejection port was used. If I'm not mistaken, he fired 300 rounds of 9mm NATO ammo with the unmodified 6" M-11/9 barrel, and swapped the barrel to a 4 1/2" for the majority of testing in the rain.

In my testing, the smaller M-11A1 ejection port with a 6" barrel surprised me. It was just as problem free as the M-11/9 upper's larger port.

The only malfunctions I've recorded in myntesting were about every fifth magazine the very last round in a Zmag would pop free of the flower/feed lips. To be fair, I didn't pay attention to the specific magazine and I do have them numbered. My bad. It could very well be one specific mag, but it was definitely not ammo related. I asked Beau to watch for this and he didn't experience a single malfunction of this type. I converted all my followers to the 2nd generation style as opposed to all first generation followers used for Colt Collectors testing. The malfunction was very intermittent, so I haven't determined if it's a single magazine problem or a follower problem. Weird, as I've never had this type of malfunction with any other upper or bolt combo. I'm leaning toward this being a single magazine creating issues, but I don't know. Anyway, that's the only malfunction I encountered and it was mag related.

I don't want to jinx myself, but shipping all bolts should begin in about five weeks. I'm hopeful it could be as soon as four weeks, but I'm sticking to five with the possibility of six weeks. Sometimes unexpected shit happens.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

UZI Talk Supporter

Great info, thanks! I'm looking forward to doing some of my own 'testing'

And if you need any volunteers to do mag dumps, er, I mean product validation on any of your other projects let me know! I have one of each mac and a range about a mile down the road.

+ Reply to Thread