UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small rifle primers in MP5

UZI Talk Life Member

Small rifle primers in MP5

Follow me on this logic....

1. My hk sear has a hammer spring that works with the beltfed 21/23 machine guns.
    2. I have 50k extra small rifle primers
    3. I bought way too many small rifle primers and don't reload 300 blk or 223 anymore.

If I tailor the load of 147 gr subsonics these will work in my mp5 host right?

Thoughts?
    Beau

Just remember velocities and pressures will change when you use different primer types.
    Check some good reloading manuals,or apps, I'm sure you'll find some data for some safe loads out there.
    Otherwise, maybe you can find someone who is sitting on a load of pistol primers they don't need and you can swap?

If you are talking about using rifle primers in a 9mm, 147 grain load, they will work most of the time. I made that mistake once, I grabbed some of CCI BR small rifle primers by mistake. I had problems with them going bang in one of my pistol and I noticed my mistake, the bench rest rifle primers are marked with a small "B". I read that pistol primers are more sensitive than rifle primers? I used them in my Uzi and I had some problems, at the time my barrel nut kept comming loose, so I thought that was the problem. You could just load up a couple of hundred and give them a try? But, if it were me, I would hang on to them, and just buy pistol primers.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I've never had any issue. No difference in velocity, extreme spread or noticeable pressure signs. I do not load "hot" ammo much anymore either though. Unlike large pistol and rifle primers, they are the same size.

Load 20 or so and give them a try
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

i always reduce my charge 5% if i use rifle primers. If you have no option but use of magnum primers reduce it 10%.

I still have a few hundred "benchrest" primers. I was told that they're just rifle primers made by the weekend shift OT and according to their union agreements the sales of these pay for that OT money.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StooperZero View Post
    i always reduce my charge 5% if i use rifle primers. If you have no option but use of magnum primers reduce it 10%.

I still have a few hundred "benchrest" primers. I was told that they're just rifle primers made by the weekend shift OT and according to their union agreements the sales of these pay for that OT money.
    They have a slightly different anvil shape to make them more sensitive to lighter strikes. Most have the exact same cup and charge, just a different anvil.

All of my "major 9" loads for USPSA open division use small rifle primers, it's actually a very common practice.

+ Reply to Thread