UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 300 BO suppressed---wow is all i can say

If there is more room for the powder to burn out, the suppressor will have less work to do when the pressure gets to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BWE Firearms View Post
    300 Blackout is a rifle caliber and not a pistol caliber. You will not be able to shoot it in subgun matches.
    Not to pick a fight, but who decided this?
    My 300BO with 220g subsonic ammo is 950 ft\sec, about the same as 45ACP.
    Id call that a pistol round, and way more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFALrat View Post
    Not to pick a fight, but who decided this?
    My 300BO with 220g subsonic ammo is 950 ft\sec, about the same as 45ACP.
    Id call that a pistol round, and way more accurate.
    You could call it a ham and cheese sandwich, but doesn't exactly make it one.

Quote Originally Posted by MPA guy View Post
    You could call it a ham and cheese sandwich, but doesn't exactly make it one.
    Seriously though, whos the King that decided an m16 in
    subsonic BO doesn't qualify as a subgun?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFALrat View Post
    Seriously though, whos the King that decided an m16 in
    subsonic BO doesn't qualify as a subgun?
    Umm, maybe because it uses a 308 bullet and a .223 case that has been trimmed and resized and isn't a subgun would be my guess?

I know my answer may sound like a smart aleck and if it does, my apologies because it isn't meant that way, but my answer above would be my guess why no one considers it a pistol caliber.

Besides, the only difference between subsonic and super is the particular bullet weight and powder charge. If you call one a rifle bullet, you'll need to call the other a rifle bullet too.

Just my humble opinion.

OK, so just for the sake of argument then let's follow this train of logic...

I pulled up the current rules for the AZ state subgun matches. 30 carbine is allowed as a "subgun" cartridge, as long as factory ammo is used. Clearly, an exception has been carved out for m2 carbines.

In comparison to 300BO, they are both .308 bullets and the case capacity is nearly identical.

Now 30 carbine has twice the muzzle energy as subsonic 300BO, so from that standpoint no one can argue that subsonic BO doesn't qualify as a subgun round.

I see no reason that as long as factory subsonic 300 BO ammunition is used, it could be used in subgun matches.

Its high time that the rules be amended.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    ...plan on my 12 year old daughter using it for deer hunting.....

I'd check ballistics etc on this before you go hunting with it, particularly letting a kiddo shoot it.
    several years ago I got pretty hot on 300BO specifically for pig hunting. had no desire to shoot anything but subs. sure....in a noveske 8" barrel on my SBR it was accurate and quiet, but the proof came when I starting shooting animals with it.
    rolled a coyote at about 30 yards.....ran off and no blood trail. the good thing about subs is the THWACK of the bullet hitting the target is easy to hear.
    put two rounds into about a 125lb pig at around 75 yards.....ran off and no blood trail.
    was shooting factory loaded hornady 220gr ballistic tips. in super form, they're devastating. in sub form, they apparently suck.
    so please have correct ammo/bullet choice when hunting or (based on my limited experience) you'll have less than desirable outcomes.

The Lehigh max expansion bullets do pretty good.

They expand down to ~850 fps.

They're not cheap plinking bullets though. They're probably about $1.20 each pill.

+ Reply to Thread