UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gammo has silencers on their air rifles

UZI Talk Supporter

gammo has silencers on their air rifles

i tonight noticed Gammo now has silencers on their rifles....amazing how the world is changing....they are plastic baffles...Whisper is the word they use

im just amazed how silencers are becoming main stream more and more....when some hunting style rifles start coming from the factory with it then i think the registry for them will be all over...it will have finally been accepted....kids air guns, built in 9mm pistols....what will be next?

How is that ok?!?
    I'm all about removing silencers from the registry, but it hasn't happened yet. Where exactly is that line drawn? Because it's plastic? Because it's on an air rifle? Because it's factory?

I recall air rifles with silencers being advertised in the 90s.
    Basically, if a silencer is too "flimsy" for a cartridge to be fired through it,or if it's permanently attached to the air gun, it's not subject to NFA. Or at least that's my interpretation of what I've read.

UZI Talk Supporter

Suppressed air rifles have been around for a long time, it's nothing new.
    They "get away with it" because it's integral to the air rifle, and thus eliminates itself from being a silencer due to not being made to reduce the report of a firearm portion of that description.
    Since an air rifle is not a firearm, and the moderator is an integral part of that air rifle, it cannot be used on a firearm and thus is not a silencer.
    Being too flimsy has nothing to do with it, since all it has to do is reduce report by 1DB on that first shot...even if it blows up afterward.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have one and it's not quiet IMO! Even with a larger pellet so as not to break the sound barrier it's still loud.
    "Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun"

Ancient hatreds & modern weapons - that's my kind of show...George Carlin

Gamo Whisper has been available for quite a while now, nothing new there. Non detachable + non firearm = non suppressor. Someone makes integrally suppressed paintball barrels too, but the detachable models are regulated just like a "real" suppressor.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ole442 View Post
    I have one and it's not quiet IMO! Even with a larger pellet so as not to break the sound barrier it's still loud.
    Yeah, the problem is that the spring action is way louder than the report of the compressed air leaving the muzzle.
    Some of the better air rifles that use a nitrogen piston in lieu of a spring and no moderator are actually quieter than spring pistons with a moderator.
    The only time you'll ever see any real benefits to a moderator on an air rifle is if you're using a PCP system with subsonic velocities.

UZI Talk Life Member
    If I use the lighter pellets it sounds like a 22LR!
    "Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun"

Ancient hatreds & modern weapons - that's my kind of show...George Carlin

+ Reply to Thread