UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vector Mini Uzi quirks

Vector Mini Uzi quirks

Hi everyone,

I recently joined the Uzi forums, but I’ve been a fan most of my life. A couple years ago, I purchased my first, a Vector full-size semi in 9mm. This gun felt very robust, well-built, and I have really enjoyed owning it. In the last two days, my Uzi family has grown to include an IWI pistol in .22 and a Vector Mini, also in 9mm. Having just received it, the Mini has me questioning my purchase.

The gun was sold as “new/old stock” so in my mind I thought of it as “lightly used” condition when I purchased it. It has no real wear anywhere on it, except the grip safety with has more scrapes on the sides (but no where near what my full size has on it today). Right out of the box, the screw that holds the charging handle on the top is very loose; my full size has never been loose. The rear sight between the protective ears looks skewed, like it was installed crookedly. Also, the barrel nut looked worn, like the bluing was starting to wear, and the barrel is not 19” long.

I know some of these things could be attributed to a used gun, but with the rest of the gun looking untouched, is this an example of Vector’s latter day “quality control”?

Before I take this gun to the range, are there things that I should do and check to make sure the gun is up to spec?

Any and all feedback would be useful.

Thanks!

UZI Talk Supporter

IIRC, you are looking at shy of a decade since Vector went through it's main turnover. Your Mini is probably reflective of 'New Vector'. I have certainly seen top cover screws loosen up and that should be a straight forward fix. The fact that the sides of the grip safety are a bit worn is not a big deal - that is something you can replace if it bugs you.

My understanding was that the 19" IMI barrel addressed some states OAL issues, but was not a federal issue. If you haven't done so already, run through the 'maintenance' section here, check top cover gap and run some rounds to get a sense of whether this is going to require professional attention.

Thanks Chipster; I know I’m being picky, but my full-size set the bar pretty high for fit and finish. I’ve already started to fix the little things- I re-blued the barrel nut and tightened up the top charging handle screw- I will pull it back off and loc-tite it. The barrel length isn’t and issue, since I full expect to SBR this soon. I will find and read the maintenance section now.

One quick point as to the different generations of Vector Uzis I have- the full size has a nice, clean, legible “Vector Arms” maker mark, while the Mini has a shallow, laser-etched maker mark that is harder to read through the parkerized finish.

A December 2016 Uzitalk member also had rear-sight problems with a new Vector that had an improperly drilled threaded cross-shaft. Vector fixed the "canted" rear sight issue as reported by a later post.

Here was the posting: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...-your-feedback

Depending upon where you purchased your mini-uzi, one would think that NOS (New old stock) would mean the firearm has been in inventory for a long time, and NOS would not necessarily mean the firearm is "used". The barrel should be 18 inches in length and not 19 inches. Maybe someone else can add to my comments.

Well --- here's the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth !!! Those things are junk . I bought one just to see how bad they were compared to my 2 IMI minis and had numerous QC problems . The barrel was turned down to go into the restrictor ring , can't imagine the alignment of the trunnion and receiver .LOL , the sear holes were so puny the thing would go into full auto because the sear would hang and the top charging knob and bolt ended up down range during one outing . I did some of my own hillbilly gunsmithing and believe it or not the the gun is so reliable it's crazy. I even SBR'ed it !!!!.

If I had to give anyone advice on a modern day Vector I'd definitely say stay away unless you are going to send it to BWE to get it squared away . I would just save up my dough and buy an IMI mini even though they are twice the price .

My .02

Geeze Panhead, NOW you tell me!!!

Seriously, I knew from the start it wasn’t going to be close to an IMI in terms of fit and finish; I just wasn’t expecting it to be far away from my full size Vector. Oh well, I’ll work through my issues- I haven’t even fired it yet, so my criticisms are all visual so far, but after a range visit I’m sure I will have something else to say.

Honestly, I didn’t even entertain an original- partly because of the cost, partly because I’ve seen none for sale for some time, but mostly because of the rarity and value of them. I wanted something usable to shoot and enjoy without feeling the expense of an original. As they say, “ There is no free lunch”.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

UZI Talk Life Member

Have you shot this mini yet? If it functions and the only issues are cosmetic, I'd say you are good to go. I have an older Vector mini and it has functioned perfect in all three calibers. My 2008 Vector mini came with a 16" barrel.

Nope, have not fired it yet.

For the price I wouldn't sweat it too much if it functions correctly but New Vector is not old Vector for sure !

Thanks everyone for the input. I’m going to contact Vector and see if they will fix/align the rear sight. I’ve already reblued the front barrel nut and tightened the screw on the charging handle. Everything else seems to be in working order. I might reach out to BWE and see about fine-tuning the gun.

I’ll see what Vector has to say and post it here.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The only problem I have had with my Vector mini, was light primer strikes. Turns out the "B" model blocking latch was hitting the base of the firing pin, slowing everything down. Removed the blocking latch, and the light primer strike problem never came back!!

Fires every single time now.

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

When the Vector Mini Uzi I ordered last May came in to the dealer (a Vector Authorized Dealer) he looked it over and called me to tell me the stock wasn't right; and he was sending the gun back to Vector for them to fix. He did not elaborate on the defect. It took about 3 1/2 weeks including shipping both ways to get the gun back to the dealer. Vector even threw in a few extra mags for my trouble.

The Mini Uzi has met all my expectations. No functional issues.

The finish is not as nice as my full size, FA Vector (made in 2003), but it's still good. The gun came with a Hebrew marked grip stick, and the contrast between the receiver finish and the very fine Hebrew marked grip stick finish was apparent. As I do not read Hebrew, I swapped in a "F" "S" marked grip stick which has a finish that more closely matches the receiver.

Also, the fore grips do not permit the mounting of a bayonet. The channel between the grip halves is slightly too tight. I could grind the plastic a bit if I ever decide to mount anything on the bayonet lug.

As far as the 16 1/4" barrel length goes, here in MI the Vector Mini Uzi (and some other firearms with folding/collapsible stocks) falls into an odd category where they have a 16" or longer barrel, but are less than 25" long with the stock folded/retracted. This means that such a firearm has to be registered in MI as a pistol. I believe the IMI Mini Uzi, with its 19.2" or so length barrel does not have the MI pistol registration requirement, but I could be wrong. Were I of a mind to do so, I could Conceal Carry my Vector Mini Uzi (with a 20 round mag, under a trench coat) as it is a registered pistol.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Question- is the top charging handle on a mini different than the full-size? Mine is smooth, where on the full-size it has cross-hatching. Not an issue, just curious.

Cross-hatched on mine, and the top cover was made by cutting down a full size top cover.

UZI Talk Supporter
    The charging handle from a micro works perfect on a mini top cover. I did this mod on mine.
    Stay Safe,

Another question- when the stock is folded, is there any play in it (does it wiggle slightly side to side and/ or up and down)?

I sent Vector and email; let’s see how quickly they respond. I sent a pic of my skewed rear sight. If I don’t hear from them in a day or two, next step is a call.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprasonic View Post
    Another question- when the stock is folded, is there any play in it (does it wiggle slightly side to side and/ or up and down)?

I sent Vector and email; let’s see how quickly they respond. I sent a pic of my skewed rear sight. If I don’t hear from them in a day or two, next step is a call.
    My stock is tight when it is open or closed with my Vector Mini.
    Stay Safe,

Thanks Glockdude.

Looks like I need to figure out how to tighten that.

I had the same issue with the rear sight installed at an angle. I sent it in and they fixed it. Mine is a full size so the stock is obviously different, but mine had some issues too. The stock was always tight, but it didn’t close all the way. We took some metal off the block on the receiver that it locks onto and it closes now. Looking at older full auto Vectors it looked like they had done this at the factory before, but I guess stopped in recent years. The IMIs I’ve seen have a much smaller block on the receiver.

Check your extractor to make sure it’s a 9mm. Mine had a poorly modified 45 extractor that did not work well.

Also, their turn around and response time might be pretty long right now since they moved recently.

Thanks for the info and the heads-up on wait times.

I think I’m going to disassemble my mini and check it against the pics on the forum and my new “Uzi Examined” book by David- what a great resource that book is! If I see anything suspect I will take pictures and post them to this thread.

+ Reply to Thread