UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ak suggestion

UZI Talk Supporter

Ak suggestion

A friend of mine asked me about buying an ak and they’ve never been my thing. So thought I’d ask here on what’s a good budget friendly ak so he can get pointed in the right direction. He’s looking for a shooter not a showpiece. He was open to an ar in 7.62x39 when told they exist, but again no experience with that clambering in ar’s either so wasn’t much help to him. Thanks
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

I'm no expert but: WASR's seem to have a good reputation as of late. I bought mine back in the "hit or miss" days and got lucky. A lot of people go crazy for the old imported chinese rifles, they can sometimes be found at a decent deal. And my last suggestion would be a Yugo. They aren't your "standard" AK in some ways, but I don't recall hearing too many complaints about them.
    There's dozens of companies making "homebrew" AK's too, that are probably worth looking at. A lot of people use to buy a basic Saiga x39 and morph it into whatever AK variant they liked the best. Although I don't think it's as easy as it once was to find a plain Saiga for cheap.

Anything but an I.O.

UZI Talk Supporter

MAK90.

the romanian SAR series is a good start.

Imop right now https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

Yes it cost more then the other people ..But they are very good people to buy from and some of the best AK dealers out there

Also if this helps ( I love AK and have used a lot from pre 89 to pre 94 to pre 97 etc )

1. Any thing made by Century run ..They use crap parts..They look pretty but will blow apart on you ..RAS etc are bad ..C39 maybe maybe half ok but for the money you can get a SLR95 a much better milled gun ..And most C39 only make it 2-3k at most
    2. Any thing made by IO either plant ( FL or NC ) ..They are very very very bad guns ...Again blow apart guns
    3. Any thing made by Black horse , Vulcen etc again blow apart guns
    4. For the first time buyer I would skip a home made or mix master parts guns ..Unless the builder is well know and respected in the AK world ( not joes gun shop etc build ) ..An only if the parts and the gun is fine ..For first time buyer I would go pre built

Right now
    get

1. WSAR the new models are very nice ..Decent trigger look a lot better then the old and the cnc mag work is a lot lot better then the old guns ... Rob ski and others that have made it to 10k and more rounds and heavy use ... the 10/63 are older models some like them more as they are used parts guns but do check them out more for cant on sights , mag fit and rivet work
    2. SAR guns are very nice some of the last double stack mag well guns that came in to the USA before the 97 sporting add on ban ..Down side is a lot of them had nasty trigger slap and they are 94 legal guns so no threading on the barrel no bayonet lug etc ..But that can be done with work ..Plus is they are normal AK guns so any old stock etc will work ..
    3. MAK90 are good guns just make sure to ask how the tang is cut straight or slant ..If slant it will be hard and limited to get stocks only IWD and a few others make stocks for them ...Get a straight cut most AK stock will fit with work though a proper Chu wood stock is best ..Again same thing as SAR post 89 guns so no threading etc ..Plus is the early ones might just have the under folder holes or ground off bayonet lugs ....If you do get one try to keep the factory trigger one of the nicest AK trigger out there
    4. Aresnal guns some have canting and paint issues ..But for the whole very well made guns and one of the more popular options ....Too many to list off just firg out what you want and go from there
    5. Maddi Ak are another populare option built in Egybt on USSR tooling ..Good guns bad paint though ..But skip the MISR10 model ( signgle stack only ) or the MISR90 a weird cobble gun that is crap
    Runners up are the Veper and Sagia rifles both very good made in Russia sporting guns converted here to be normal AK ..But both ban for import and have gotten pricy and some models can take a bit of work to mod into a proper AK ..If you can find one cheep or one proper conversion they are great but note if stock will need work with AK mags etc

Couple more notes ....B west AK if USA made on the reciver are a no go ..Most were not heat treated right and will mushrom but quick ..Some few were but not worth the risk ..There import only models are fine

You have a choice of calibers now from 30-06 to the classic x39 rounds ..A stamped or milled guns ...Stamped will be lighter milled cane be sturder ..Really does not matter imop just a personal call for a first AK.. Calibers for a first AK either x39 or 5.45x45 would be my go to classic rounds lots of parts etc ..The others ones will be more limited in parts/mags etc ...Frankly first AK I would do x39 as ammo is 4 or 5 bucks for 20 round and a good ak mags is 10 bucks or less

Lastly for AK mags stick with com block mags any country that made AK ..Skip Korean made mags the 20 rounders work ok the rest nope ....Circle 10 is a good mag also .... Tapco etc are ok for cheep range mags but that is it.. Magpul does ok work now that they have metal luged mags but some guns dont like them

Good luck ..Let me/us know what other help you need

A chrome lined barrel is a good place to start.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for the education, I’ll try to work my way through it and get him going in the right direction. Out of curiosity, What’s the verdict on psa ak’s. I’d bet they have a few Black Friday deals coming for them.
    God, Family, Guns.....Life is Good! ROMANS 10:9-10

Quote Originally Posted by Captain murrica View Post
    Thanks for the education, I’ll try to work my way through it and get him going in the right direction. Out of curiosity, What’s the verdict on psa ak’s. I’d bet they have a few Black Friday deals coming for them.
    They got a lot of flak on the first run with the AK files ..Saying this has this and this and this and it did not have that ..Some bad feelings etc on AK files some rush QC issues

They seem to have gotten better now ..The side folder looks very nice

UZI Talk Life Member

I'm not an AK guy but got a deal on a WASR. I had low expectations but this rifle impressed me and changed my opinion of AKs. Very accurate and very controllable.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Mak 90 is a chrome lined barrel....and a very nice trigger....its what i recommend

i also own a PAP AK pistol w/ arm brace stock...i worked on that trigger and made it extremely good....not a chrome lined barrel, but i think i paid $399 for mine.......

how much shooting you going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    Mak 90 is a chrome lined barrel....and a very nice trigger....its what i recommend

i also own a PAP AK pistol w/ arm brace stock...i worked on that trigger and made it extremely good....not a chrome lined barrel, but i think i paid $399 for mine.......

how much shooting you going to do?

The yugo pistol are a great deal imop and yeah for some reason none of the current Yugo guns used chrome linning

And yeah the MAK90 is amazing trigger on it

UZI Talk Supporter
    With some 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper my PAP is as smooth and a bit lighter. Took me 15 mins and it’s about as light as you’d want and still be safe

Quality is good for a cheap AK

Most don’t shoot 10,000 rounds through them. Most probably don’t see 1000

+ Reply to Thread