• I collect guns to use as tools

3 8.82%
  • I collect because there awesome

20 58.82%
  • Other

11 32.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you have guns as tools or as a collection?

Yes, I am a nerd. A gun nerd!

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitist View Post
    I put way too much thought into this question one day on a long car trip. Here is my theory: Imagine a Cartesian plane. The x axis measures the degree to which a person believes "guns are tools" and the y axis measure the degree to which a person believes "guns are art, or history, or anything other than tools." People in quadrant I, (low tool, high art/history) are true collectors symbolized by museum curators and the like. People in quadrant II (high tool, high art) are designers (Stoner, Browning, etc). People in quadrant III (high tool, low art) are people who use guns as part of the job (police, military, CCW, Olympic athletes). People in quadrant IV (low tool, low art) have no interest in firearms or are anti-gun for some other reason.

I would be in Q1 and Q3. Like others have said, some of mine are tools (CCW), but most are art (to me). Some of the art pieces, like the 03a3 or Garand, I will take out to compete with. But, that does not make them "tools" (at least, not anymore). That is, I compete with them because it gives me a reason to meaningfully use them. I didn't buy them specifically because I love to compete. I liken it to flying an antique plane at an air show.
    Yep, thats some thought, follow your chart, I'm in Q2 and Q3. Barely in Q2

i selected other. All of my guns are tools by design, but there are certain guns I train with and carry while others I enjoy as unfired collectibles.

I am in possession of a "dust" collection with my firearms.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Guns are toys for civilians. Toys are fun. Cars, guns, boats, fun.
    If I was you
    I'd be worried about me.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpeas View Post
    Guns are toys for civilians. Toys are fun. Cars, guns, boats, fun.
    Some guns are not simply toys for civilians.
    Consider those used for Personal Protection/CCW, Home Defense, Predator/Pest Control,Hunting for food,and Competition(by those who earn money in competitions)
    The above examples would be defined as tools, because they allow the user to accomplish a task that is a direct benefit to the user.
    Same with cars or boats or computers. Usage, not the item itself, determines the category.
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 12-07-2017 at 06:21 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Collectable tools.
    "For civilians, semi-auto is like sex with your wife. Full auto is like sex at the Playboy mansion. They serve different purposes." -RoverDave
    President & Founder : UZI Shooters of America

UZI Talk Supporter
    Mine are toys. Some of them are just really expensive toys.

I have both, some I use and others I have no desire to shoot. Even the ones I use as tools I don't abuse them. They show signs of honest wear like holster wear, scuffs on the stocks blueing and parkerizing. Tools and made to be used, but you still take care of them.

Why we have them is the wrong question. The right question is why wouldn't we? What the hell is the point of being a grown up if you aren't going to shoot guns, drive cars and have sex?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    lots of guys treat their guns as tools...toss them around....i do not treat my conceal carry gun special...i could care less what it looks like...but all my other guns i treat as functional art...

when i see guys at subgun comp's tossing their guns ontop of other peoples guns they are typically older and i figure they only paid $350 for their machine guns...so to them its just a POS $350 mac or $500 Colt thompson......i keep my guns off that table....it always blows me away looking at that table with $100,000+ worth of guns on it....and seeing them touching each other.......i store my guns in gun socks, never set the down on anything besides a towel....my G19 from 25 years ago still looks like brand new and has 10,000 rounds through it......i just inherited my grandfathers shotguns....1 is from 1920, 1 from 1949, 1 from 1958....the 1920 one looks unfired, 1949 and 1958 one look barely used...yet he duck hunted all his life...lived on a lake cottage to be closer to those ducks....yet he obviously treasured his gun collection as much as he loved killing ducks.......you can use your guns for 10,000 rounds, yet still have a minty looking gun with just minimal care taken.....yet few do

other than my ccw gun i treat my $250 .22 pistol as much as a treasured item as my $30k Thompson.....functional art....treat my cars the same way....and my wife!
    My wife was NIB. I treat her better than the guns ;-)

They’re

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    My wife was NIB. I treat her better than the guns ;-)
    1) Wives rarely remain NIB beyond the 1st night
    2) In the US, you can only have 1 wife at a time
    3) You may not make a profit when you get rid of a gun, but at least you don't have to pay alimony

UZI Talk Life Member

4) With a gun when it quits working you can part it out and recover some of your investment.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    4) With a gun when it quits working you can part it out and recover some of your investment.
    ??? Kidneys are a valuable commodity???

+ Reply to Thread