$vboptions[bbtitle]
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suppressor recommendation

Suppressor recommendation

I'm interested in getting a multi-host suppressor, but not sure what to look for. Or if what I'm looking for is even realistic.
    I'd like it to do the following:
    1. Handle full auto
    2. Fit/adapt to 1/2x28 (max10/31)
    3. Fit/adapt to .578x28 (.45 1911, I understand it will need a booster/Nielson)
    4. Fit/adapt to 7/8-9 (factory M10)

Unless it would be MUCH easier to get separate cans for each application, but that's kinda what I'm trying to avoid. Any other useful input is greatly appreciated as well.

Bowers Vers 45 was the first to come to mind with the Dead Air Ghost 2ND only because I don't know if an 7/8-9 adapter exists for DA threads.
    Last edited by rentprop1; 11-22-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

UZI Talk Life Member
    Octane 45. Game set match. Fuck the oem mac 10 threads, have the barrel turned down to .578x28 at the base for a smaller overall package

Coastal Guns MIMS would likely do the trick as well. Full-Auto subgun can on a 1911 will be kinda funny looking though.

Thread adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post
    Octane 45. Game set match. Fuck the oem mac 10 threads, have the barrel turned down to .578x28 at the base for a smaller overall package
    Take a look at the Rugged Obsidian 45...very effective can.

This hybrid can looks pretty Neato. Haven't used tho.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

I went with the hybrid. Every holiday silencerco has a sale on their website so pistons, thread adapters, brakes, etc.. are reasonably priced. They don't make a 3/4-10 or 7/8-9 adapter so you'll have to get your barrel threaded. I got a 3 lug barrel. It's not bad on a pistol like a lot of people that don't own one make it out to be. I guess if I was on a covert mission to save the world a smaller lighter can would be much better, But just showing off at the range, I'm 007. The only negative thing I can say is they don't recommend using it on 22lr. Its rated for full auto 308, so I don't think my m11 is going to wear it out anytime soon lol.

With all that being said, I'm still looking for a sionics/mac Silencer.

UZI Talk Life Member

If you want to use the OEM threads on the M-10 I think Bowers is the only one who makes and adapter for their can. The Vers-adapter system is very flexible. I was looking at the Bowers Vers 45 for just that reason. I ended up with a Hybrid and it will cover anything you need except for the M-10. You can have your barrel threaded .578x28 or purchase a threaded barrel for it if you don't mind modifying your M10 to fit a modern can.

I know nothing about the Coastal MIMS system so I can't comment. I do have an old Coastal Uzi can that is very quite, but it is a one trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    If you want to use the OEM threads on the M-10 I think Bowers is the only one who makes and adapter for their can. The Vers-adapter system is very flexible. I was looking at the Bowers Vers 45 for just that reason. I ended up with a Hybrid and it will cover anything you need except for the M-10. You can have your barrel threaded .578x28 or purchase a threaded barrel for it if you don't mind modifying your M10 to fit a modern can.

I know nothing about the Coastal MIMS system so I can't comment. I do have an old Coastal Uzi can that is very quite, but it is a one trick pony.
    I think the mims is pretty much the same as the uzi can with a modular thread interface. My dealer is a coastal dealer and he swears by the mims. He has them for $350, I'm thinking about getting one just because its so cheap lol

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post

This. It works great on a subgun and looks good on a pistol.

Thanks guys.

A lot of options to research here. I believe I'll scratch the 7/8-9 thread requirement, because outside of issues with it loosening, it probably won't be used much in that setup anyway. Also looks like USMG sells a dual threaded barreled upper for $150 as an option too.

Other than looking goofy: am I right in thinking that the longer setups will generally be quieter on my 1911 than the shorter ones?

UZI Talk Life Member

Octane 45 is really the choice for pistol, bowers/mims wonít do pistols. I have the octane 9 and love it. Might look at the omega 45K as well, Iíve also got the 9k and dang is it small and performs well.

Iíve got a bowers vers9s with the stainless baffles and honestly Iíd get an octane 45 if I had to do it over again or maybe the hybrid.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdamagedx View Post
    Thanks guys.

A lot of options to research here. I believe I'll scratch the 7/8-9 thread requirement, because outside of issues with it loosening, it probably won't be used much in that setup anyway. Also looks like USMG sells a dual threaded barreled upper for $150 as an option too.

Other than looking goofy: am I right in thinking that the longer setups will generally be quieter on my 1911 than the shorter ones?
    You can have the existing barrel turned down and rethreaded for a shorty for less than you could buy that new barrel

UZI Talk Life Member
    In a High Horsepower Corvette, Taking My Time.
    The guy who designed the Octane and SpectreII series for SWR was unfairly ousted by Silencerco after the merge.

Henry then started his own company (Rugged) which in my opinion are a little better refined than the past projects he's done. If I didn't already own an Octane I'd be purchasing an Obsidian.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Octane 45

UZI Talk Life Member

Depending on what your future needs are, consider the Hybrid. It is 5oz heavier than the Octane 45, but will handle up to a 338 Lapua Magnum. I've shot mine on a Springfield XD in 45 and I did not think it was unwieldy. I own an Octane 9, but I got the Hybrid over the Octane 45 thinking I might build a 458 SOCOM some day. Also may thread the barrel on my 45-70 or 460 S&W. I have other .556 and 7.62 cans but it is nice that the Hybrid can cover those too if I want or need.

Quote Originally Posted by xdamagedx View Post
    I'd like it to do the following:
    1. Handle full auto
    2. Fit/adapt to 1/2x28 (max10/31)
    3. Fit/adapt to .578x28 (.45 1911, I understand it will need a booster/Nielson)
    4. Fit/adapt to 7/8-9 (factory M10)

Unless it would be MUCH easier to get separate cans for each application, but that's kinda what I'm trying to avoid.
    IMO, the "best" solution is two cans. A subgun can won't cycle on most pistols, and a skinny pistol can will typically give you more gas blowback than a fat subgun can. And on a gun like a MAC, a skinny can just looks goofy. Kind of like a long skinny barrel on a semi-auto Uzi carbine.

Looking at your requirements:
    1: lots of good options out there in pistol & subgun cans
    2: Again, lots of options. You wanted to avoid getting multiple cans, and while a 9mm can is the obvious choice, I've had good results shooting 9mm through a .45 can. The only down-side is .45 cans are generally a little bigger than comprable 9mm cans. The MAX-31 is already on the long side of things, and adding a 12" long can exaggerates this. I like to run a 6" to 8" can in my MAX-31. Here is where using a .45 pistol can with the appropriate mount would probably be best. I have not experienced the gas blowback issue on the MAX-31 that I've seen on the shorter uppers.
    3. As noted, get one of the many good .45 pistol cans out there.
    4. As noted by others, skip this option. WIth the coarse MAC threads, it's not a matter of if you get a baffle strike, it's a matter of when. And yes, I learned that the hard way. The coarse MAC threads rely on the can being mounted up against the front of the receiver to keep things square. A fine thread pitch will still hold the can pretty well aligned if it loosens a bit. The coarse threads allow the can to become misaligned just as soon as it starts to come loose. Better solution: get the end of your barrel threaded to a more appropriate fine thread pitch. Kind of like this double-threaded M11/9 barrel:

Quote Originally Posted by rentprop1 View Post
    Bowers Vers 45 was the first to come to mind with the Dead Air Ghost 2ND only because I don't know if an 7/8-9 adapter exists for DA threads.
    The Bowers can is a great subgun can, but there is no nelson device for it. I think it's probably too big to get one to work on a short-recoil pistol even with a booster.
    Last edited by Garrett; 12-02-2017 at 02:46 PM.

FFL 07/02
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Octain or Tirant M rethread the Mac10. Game over
    2013 FUN GUN SHOOT
    South Dakotas Largest Machine Gun Shoot

http://www.fungunshoot.com

+ Reply to Thread