UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mac pricing over the years

Some people just don't pay attention to prices. A friend of mine bought a RDIAS for $1k many years ago, shot it for several years, and thought he was making out like a bandit for selling it for the same $1k he paid for it. What the heck, shot the piss out of it, burned up two AR-15's, and for free! The problem is it was worth at least $4k when he sold it. Bastid never offered it to me.

If anybody is in the market for a Mac, the only advice I can give is try to find a PRIVATE sale and local. That will save you money because you will not have to pay tax, dealer fees or out of state transfer tax fees.

Lastly, I would NOT recommend buying from a dealer or gunbroker. Not because they are necessary bad but because of all the fees and you will pay an upcharge. The dealers I've talked to will not budge on prices; therefore, I Wait till I find the right deal. I've saved a lot by sticking to that.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KickStand View Post
    If anybody is in the market for a Mac, the only advice I can give is try to find a PRIVATE sale and local. That will save you money because you will not have to pay tax, dealer fees or out of state transfer tax fees.

Lastly, I would NOT recommend buying from a dealer or gunbroker. Not because they are necessary bad but because of all the fees and you will pay an upcharge. The dealers I've talked to will not budge on prices; therefore, I Wait till I find the right deal. I've saved a lot by sticking to that.
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by KickStand View Post

I would agree with the first part of finding a private local sale as a first choice but after that I would head for a dealer depending on your situation . It's a much more secure transaction although more costly . If you go form 4 out of state to your in state dealer a tax stamp and 6-8 months wait . Then it gets transferred to you tax stamp 6-8 mos wait if you're lucky . Do a trust and it's longer . I bought my Mac from an out of state dealer who efiled it to my dealer and I was shooting it while it's in jail a week later . I'll pay the premium to do that any day of the week and not have an ulcer wondering if an out of state individual is going to rip me off or knows how to transfer it.

My .02 YMMV

UZI Talk Supporter
    i used to look for gunbroker auctions that ended without a bid...after it runs through a few times id call them up and make an offer...typically this worked

my latest Mac is a local buy...yes its a great deal....but your trusting an individual you dont know....i know him through someone else, but he is still a stranger....i filed the form 4 myself

i prefer to purchase from a dealer...a business....i dont think many gun shops will rip you off...they wouldnt be in business long if they did...

an individual? with 9-12 month wait times and many of these sellers being old guys i worry about them dying or being in the hospital.......its not 3 months like it was in the past...its 9 months....lots can happen in a year

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    i used to look for gunbroker auctions that ended without a bid...after it runs through a few times id call them up and make an offer...typically this worked

my latest Mac is a local buy...yes its a great deal....but your trusting an individual you dont know....i know him through someone else, but he is still a stranger....i filed the form 4 myself

i prefer to purchase from a dealer...a business....i dont think many gun shops will rip you off...they wouldnt be in business long if they did...

an individual? with 9-12 month wait times and many of these sellers being old guys i worry about them dying or being in the hospital.......its not 3 months like it was in the past...its 9 months....lots can happen in a year

I will agree with your last point.

BUT

When I buy from a local person I always try to go about it the safest way possible. I will talk to the individual selling the gun and build a report, I will then offer to pay half upfront and the other half when I pick up the gun. Also, I will get a bill of sale stating the details and it will be signed by both parties and NOTORIZED. That way in the event that something tragic would happen to that person I would have a signed letter bill of sale and when it came back to the estate it would be legally mine and I would pay the remainding balance. I Always's submit the forms myself.

Actually the last Mac I bought, he didn't want any money upfront. But this was my second gun from him. To protect him, I still insisted on giving him a down payment and bill of sale.

MOST people in the NFA world are decent people. BE WARNED NOT ALL though.

+ Reply to Thread