UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steel case ammo through a Galil?

Th Lucky gunner test showed that the wolf and Tula ammo completely trashed an AR-15 chrome lined barrel with under 10,000 rounds while the barrel that federal ammo was shot through was still quite serviceable after 10,000 rounds. So I suppose if you only shoot a few hundred rounds or so of the buy metal jacket, you probably won't notice anything but if you believe this data, you will much more rapidly degrade your barrel life then you would with copper jacket ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bra...el-cased-ammo/

Quote Originally Posted by zrunr View Post
    Sure, it will cycle steel case ammo. But, will the bimetal jacket actually wear out the barrel a lot faster?
    This is a debate that has been beaten to death numerous times over. Steel case won't wreck you barrel with normal usage.

Maybe if you are doing mag-dumps frequently then it will, but I won't make the claim that it is exclusive to steel cased ammo. Also consider how long a barrel lasts; 10,000 rds is a lot and for a military that is about the life expectancy of a barrel before replacement. With the money you save on steel case vs. brass, it is probably as economical to just replace the barrel when worn out.

TL;DR; Luckygunner isn't a hub of intelligentsia, and AK actions are made for steel-case. It might total your barrel in the long run, but probably not much faster than 5.56 brass case or any other ammo.
    Last edited by Mr Folgers; 12-25-2017 at 01:23 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    100 rounds of FA will ruin a barrel, regardless of steel vs brass, if fired continuously. I've seen it happen in M16s. The barrels simply can't stand the abuse and heat.
    My complaints against Steel Cased ammo are:
    1) Lacquer coating;
    2) Often has Corrosive Primers/Powder,
    3) Steel on Steel on Steel causes excessive wear;
    4) Generally speaking, steel cased Ammo simply is not as accurate as Brass cased, maybe because of quantity vs quality?
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 12-25-2017 at 05:16 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrunr View Post
    Th Lucky gunner test showed that the wolf and Tula ammo completely trashed an AR-15 chrome lined barrel with under 10,000 rounds while the barrel that federal ammo was shot through was still quite serviceable after 10,000 rounds. So I suppose if you only shoot a few hundred rounds or so of the buy metal jacket, you probably won't notice anything but if you believe this data, you will much more rapidly degrade your barrel life then you would with copper jacket ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bra...el-cased-ammo/
    So you basically already answered your question.
    "Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by boscoman View Post
    So you basically already answered your question.
    I I think I did with respect to .223 ammo With a bi-metal metal jacket. However, I don't know if this is true with 762x 39 ammo as that type of ammo seems to be the standard for AKs and you don't hear a lot of complaints about barrel life issues. Someone who has a full auto rental business could probably tell us exactly how things turn out with the bi metal jacket in 223 and in 76 2 x 39.

UZI Talk Life Member
    most of the rental places use brass because the extra cost isn't a factor and the $ they get for the empty hulls is just a bonus.
    I can't see any major difference between Tula/Wolf and say Lake City except the powder/groups may be more consistant in the LC.
    then again most LC is either surplus or overrun and ammo generally doesn't spoil- so it was sold off for some reason or the other.
    I don't like the green slimy coated steel case but have never had feed or extracting issues with the grey case stuff.
    big plus for me is that I can police all my empties with a magnet-yeah I'm lazy.
    if your galil/clone won't run with either brass or steel then something is out of wack.
    later.

I totally agree that a Galil should cycle fine with either type of round. The only issue that I can see is wear and tear on the barrel for a pre-ban with a steady diet of bimetal jacketed ammo.

UZI Talk Life Member
    OK.
    if the jackets are hard enough I can see an issue but, mil. spec. chrome is roughly 60ish on the c scale for Rockwell hardness.
    I can't see the jacket being any issue there.
    if you run 100-500 rounds through doing mag dumps then it wouldn't make any difference- heat build up is the enemy.
    continuous hot loaded rounds-sure, again heat builds up fast.
    if it's that big of a concern then why not buy an erosion guage and take a beater clone out and put several thousand thru it.
    guage before and after each case and see what you get after 5k.
    closest I can say for sure is a US GM barrel that I nitride had just over 8k thru it and the erosion guage was at 1.
    haven't heard from him in a while but he was shooting steel case 90% of the time.
    later.

+ Reply to Thread