UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jumping into the UZI game

Jumping into the UZI game

I recently came into a semi-auto IMI Model-B carbine imported by Action Arms. I took it out and it was awesome. Accurate and a great shooter all around.

With all of that I couldn't help but think how heave it felt and silly it looked with that 16" barrel, and the person I got it from said a 10.5" was part of the deal. I got the short barrel and gave it to a family member to hold onto and for Black Friday I sent off a Form 1 for this sucker.

As soon as the Form 1 went out I started thinking about how boring a 9mm SBR would be w/o a suppressor, so when I found a sale on a Silencerco Omega 9k I immediately ordered it. I don't have a threaded barrel and considered sending my barrel off for threading, but 3-lugs are so cool so I went ahead and got on the backorder list at BWE for a 3-lug barrel. Hopefully it arrives before the can.

Anyways, I've jumped head-first into Uzi ownership.

Does anyone else use an Omega 9k on their Uzi? Thoughts about it?

The BWE seems to be the only 3-lug game in town. I see they're a forum sponsor so I assume it's a good call?

Where do people typically get their SBR engraved?

Thanks!

UZI Talk Supporter
    A trophy shop can do the engraving.

UZI Talk Life Member

I don't have an Omega 9k but I do have an Octane 9. Silencer HQ makes an adapter for the Octane that replaces the Uzi barrel nut. Makes for a very compact setup. The adapter should fit the Omega also.

You can SBR it. You can put a silencer on it. But that gun is going to get boring quick without the happy switch IMO.

I engraved mine with an electro pencil. I just did it back where the stock folds up. Don't look that bad either. Just practice on a piece of metal first. What I did was very nearly write my info on there first with a pencil and engraved right over what I wrote. It went very well.

And yes. It is very boring. I got a supressor for mine also... It works great and all that but at the end of the day it's a super heavy 9mm..... In semi auto... It spends most of it's life in the back of the safe. It's cool, don't get me wrong... Would I do it again? Probably not. I'd rather have that money back for a full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    A trophy shop can do the engraving.
    Sorry, I meant to ask where on the gun most have it engraved, not who can engrave it.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    You can SBR it. You can put a silencer on it. But that gun is going to get boring quick without the happy switch IMO.
    I'm afraid of that...

UZI Talk Supporter
    You can have it engraved on the receiver or the barrel.
    I would probably recommend marking the receiver, as you may want to swap out barrels on occasion.
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 12-02-2017 at 12:36 AM.

I wouldn't even shoot mine without the happy switch...that being said, with it, mine gets shot every other week at least.... most of the time along with my AWC MK9 suppressor. I have a Glock with a Silencerco Octane 45 that I blast also when I want to shoot quiet, and lighter..and ALOT cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    True the full auto version of anything that was originally a machine gun is better, but some of us can barely swing the 1k for a semi auto, much less 15k for a full auto.

Iíve shot smg Uzis on many occasions and have yet to get bored with my semi despite my admiration for the smg. To me, itís just a whole different gun.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyfive1911a1 View Post
    True the full auto version of anything that was originally a machine gun is better, but some of us can barely swing the 1k for a semi auto, much less 15k for a full auto.

Iíve shot smg Uzis on many occasions and have yet to get bored with my semi despite my admiration for the smg. To me, itís just a whole different gun.
    Yes, my happy switch is the trigger on my semi. You can empty a mag on a semi pretty fast and I don't have to notify anyone if leaving the state. While I would love to shoot one I'm very happy with my semi .....even with the long barrel. Each to their own.....LOL
    "Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun"

Ancient hatreds & modern weapons - that's my kind of show...George Carlin

I guess it all depends on what you like to do. I use my semi-auto SBR Uzi more than I would if it was full auto simply because it is not legal to hunt with full auto in my state. Yes, I hunt with my Uzi. I use it mostly for critters but this year I have determined to take a deer with it. way more interesting than a 30-30 lever action

I think 9mm is less than ideal for deer.

I can think of others that are probably even less ideal than 9mm, but if I could get a close, well placed shot, and I was hungry enough, I guess I would try.

UZI Talk Supporter
    At 50 or less yards away, the 9mm from an UZI barrel should yield ballistics similar to a 6" 357Mag revolver.
    Depending on the size of the deer in your area (here,120lbs field dressed is big, 90+% are less than 100lbs)
    If you're after those little dog sized deer in FL, your needs are different than Mulies,or the monster Northern Whitetails.

Most deer in my ao are larger.

The smallest that I normally use is 357 from an 16 inch barrel on my NEF single shot. With my handloads, I can get 1850 fps with 125 xtp. That's getting into 30-30 territory

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MPA guy View Post
    Most deer in my ao are larger.

The smallest that I normally use is 357 from an 16 inch barrel on my NEF single shot. With my handloads, I can get 1850 fps with 125 xtp. That's getting into 30-30 territory
    Yep, that's a hot load. I don't think I'd wanna run those in a K frame!

I use them for HD loads in my wifes model 66.

Not a regular diet of them though.

I hope she never has to use them, but if she does, is probably only going to be a shot or two.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MPA guy View Post
    I use them for HD loads in my wifes model 66.

Not a regular diet of them though.

I hope she never has to use them, but if she does, is probably only going to be a shot or two.
    I would risk losing a eye or a finger to protect my wife or children.

They won't get 1850 fps in the handgun.

I was referring to my NEF break action rifle-16 inch barrel getting 1850.

They get 1400 something from the 6" handgun. And are loaded slightly under max.

They should be safe to use in the handgun and while it does have some recoil to it, I don't think they're bordering dangerous to fire a few shots of occasionally. I just wouldn't feed it a steady diet of it so it doesn't wear the parts out much faster than it should.

To be fair, what little plinking I do with it, are normally warm 38 loads.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    I would risk losing a eye or a finger to protect my wife or children.
    Well, at least my children.

+ Reply to Thread